• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High-Performance Desktop Actives - Neumann or Genelec?

MrSoul4470

I think with neither 8331, KH 120 / 150 or something similar you will miss bass. I have 8331 and listen to EDM a lot. Bass is never an issue.

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's somewhat surprising since 1.2 meters is well within Neumann's "recommended" range, and we have a couple of recent nearfield 150 users who have not shared that complaint.

The KH 80 is certainly tempting from a price and space perspective but a sub would absolutely be required. Even with a KH750 integrated, I would still be concerned about upper bass / midrange dynamics / scale / fullness / smoothness from such a small woofer. I tend to be sensitive to those things and do not not care for many 2-ways for that reason, but the 150s seem to largely address those concerns. If I could be confident that KH 80s + KH750 would give up nothing to the 150s from the upper bass to the lower treble I'd be happy to go that direction.

I'd love 8331s + a sub but the cost is just too high to justify.
I use my KH120A at 1m or slightly less and can't hear any issues with driver integration. I've also measured the loudspeaker at 50cm and 1m and didn't see any disturbances in measurements at either distance. IMHO you need to get uncomfortably close to the loudspeaker to start hearing such issues - but YMMV, perhaps!
KH150 is bigger so probably requires a bit more distance, though I'd say if you follow Neumann's guidelines you will probably be OK.

YSC

Major Contributor
Thomann has a KH80s + KH750 + M1 mic package for $2477 shipped (less potential customs fees to the US), which is nearly $500 less than the KH 150s by themselves. Obviously I'd have more bass extension with that setup (which I don't really need) but I could also then take full advantage of the integrated DSP alignment. My concerns above remain, though.
I would say get this or the KH120+MH750+MA1, IMO having freedom of desk space did affect the placement and desk utilization, so to optimize the placement a bit more. and that with the sub you also get a bit more freedom on placement relative to front wall to not worry much about bass issues to begin with.

OP
M

mj30250

After speaking with Thomann I pulled the trigger on a pair of 150s, which have already been shipped (that was fast!). I think if I'd have dropped down to the 80s, even though they'd likely sound excellent (especially with a sub), I know that I'd always be "wondering" and second-guessing. After rearranging my desk and opening up the back corners they should not be very intrusive at all. This also places them at the farthest possible distance from my seat and at close to an equilateral triangle. I'm sure to get some eye rolls from my wife whenever she walks through the office, though.

radix

Major Contributor
Thomann has a KH80s + KH750 + M1 mic package for $2477 shipped (less potential customs fees to the US), which is nearly $500 less than the KH 150s by themselves. Obviously I'd have more bass extension with that setup (which I don't really need) but I could also then take full advantage of the integrated DSP alignment. My concerns above remain, though.
I have the KH80 + 750 for my desk. It's great!

I use the Genelec VESA mount adapter on the KH80s (it fits) and some clamp-on monitor stands. That gets the speakers off the desktop and up to ear-level tweeters.

Marc

dshreter

After speaking with Thomann I pulled the trigger on a pair of 150s, which have already been shipped (that was fast!). I think if I'd have dropped down to the 80s, even though they'd likely sound excellent (especially with a sub), I know that I'd always be "wondering" and second-guessing. After rearranging my desk and opening up the back corners they should not be very intrusive at all. This also places them at the farthest possible distance from my seat and at close to an equilateral triangle. I'm sure to get some eye rolls from my wife whenever she walks through the office, though.
Congratulations! There's definitely nothing wrong with buying the things you want. As well if you end up wanting to repurpose them to another duty one day such as home theater they will be up to the task. KH80 would only ever be great as a desktop speaker.

OP
M

mj30250

Congratulations! There's definitely nothing wrong with buying the things you want. As well if you end up wanting to repurpose them to another duty one day such as home theater they will be up to the task. KH80 would only ever be great as a desktop speaker.
Thanks!

While it wasn't a primary goal, the office does open into a secondary living room that I enjoy reading in, and I expect that the 150s will cover that area very nicely as well.

ChrisHeinonen

I'm in a very similar situation for my office space, and leaning towards the KH 150 though the KH 80 is probably more than enough for the space (no subwoofer, as there's an office next to mine that I don't want to disturb) and I'm typically around 24" away from the drivers if mounted on desk stands. Will want to hear how the KH 150 works out.

teashea

I use my KH120A at 1m or slightly less and can't hear any issues with driver integration. I've also measured the loudspeaker at 50cm and 1m and didn't see any disturbances in measurements at either distance. IMHO you need to get uncomfortably close to the loudspeaker to start hearing such issues - but YMMV, perhaps!
KH150 is bigger so probably requires a bit more distance, though I'd say if you follow Neumann's guidelines you will probably be OK.
I listen to my KH150's at 1.4 meteres and integration is no problem. Same with my KH 120's (with a KH750 sub) and that is also no problem.

teashea

I'm in a very similar situation for my office space, and leaning towards the KH 150 though the KH 80 is probably more than enough for the space (no subwoofer, as there's an office next to mine that I don't want to disturb) and I'm typically around 24" away from the drivers if mounted on desk stands. Will want to hear how the KH 150 works out.
I have a pair of KH150's. I think two feet would be too close.

teashea

I would try to keep them at least 1 meter from your ears. You will like them very much, I predict. Neumann did quite a job in developing these puppies. I

ChrisHeinonen

I have a pair of KH150's. I think two feet would be too close.
My one thought was that if I moved the KH150 to a larger space at home later, they'd do a much better job than the KH80, but it's not wise to purchase something far more expensive for something that might happen at an unknown time in the future. I'll just get the KH 80 for the office.

teashea

My one thought was that if I moved the KH150 to a larger space at home later, they'd do a much better job than the KH80, but it's not wise to purchase something far more expensive for something that might happen at an unknown time in the future. I'll just get the KH 80 for the office.
very good point

gino1961

hi Could you define high performance?
seriously i don't want to sound naive but for more the near field listening the concept of choice for me are concentric drivers
so I would look at kef LS or the pricer genelec
there is something in coaxials of unique

teashea

hi Could you define high performance?
seriously i don't want to sound naive but for more the near field listening the concept of choice for me are concentric drivers
so I would look at kef LS or the pricer genelec
there is something in coaxials of unique
The important thing is that the speaker is designed for coherence at nearfield distances. Concentric drivers are not the only solution. Look at the tests here on the 150.

Filio45

Not unrelated to the OP's conversation, a friend of mine is thinking of buying either Genelec 8330a or Neumann KH150. For nearfield desk use between 75cms and 110 cms seated distance in near equilateral triangle. Cheapest prices, incl taxes and delivery, currently are:

2x 8330a, 1 x 7350a plus GLM at £2,335 ($2,884). Subtract £900 ($1,110) without sub.

2 x KH150 plus MA 1 at £2,912 ($3,597).

I'm thinking go for Neumanns, as newer design, better measurements overall and should go near as deep without sub? Only reservation is, the smaller Gens might sum better at 75 cms (they say from 70cms) than the Neumann's (75cms feasible and 100cms recommended)?

Last edited:
OP
M

mj30250

Not unrelated to the OP's conversation, a friend of mine is thinking of buying either Genelec 8330a or Neumann KH150. For nearfield desk use between 80 and 110 cms seated distance in near equilateral triangle. Cheapest prices, incl taxes and delivery, currently are:

2x 8330a, 1 x 7350a plus GLM at £2,335 ($2,884). Subtract £900 ($1,110) without sub.

I'm thinking go for Neumanns, as newer design, better measurements overall and should go near as deep without sub? Only reservation is, the smaller Gens might sum better at 80 cms (they say from 70cms) than the Neumann's (75cms feasible and 100cms recommended)?

I have the KH 150s on my desk now and at around 90cm I do not notice any issues with summing at all. I have to get within 2 feet or so before I can start localizing the drivers.

bodhi

Forum Donor
Not unrelated to the OP's conversation, a friend of mine is thinking of buying either Genelec 8330a or Neumann KH150. For nearfield desk use between 80 and 110 cms seated distance in near equilateral triangle. Cheapest prices, incl taxes and delivery, currently are:

I'm thinking go for Neumanns, as newer design, better measurements overall and should go near as deep without sub? Only reservation is, the smaller Gens might sum better at 80 cms (they say from 70cms) than the Neumann's (75cms feasible and 100cms recommended)?

If it's only or mostly music then I think KH150 is the clear winner. If there is movies and/or gaming involved then Genelecs with a sub.

The Genelec 2.1 setup reaches 20Hz and will provide plenty of rumble in nearfield but the benefits of extra extension in music are not that great.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I have the KH 150s on my desk now and at around 90cm I do not notice any issues with summing at all. I have to get within 2 feet or so before I can start localizing the drivers.
What do you think of the KH150 so far?

OP
M

mj30250

What do you think of the KH150 so far?

Keeping in mind that at the moment they are operating at 100% out of the box settings and are simply plugged into an E70 and then into my PC, I am highly impressed. They are exactly what they are advertised to be: extremely neutral, no-nonsense, signal goes in, sounds come out speakers. Well recorded instruments and vocals all sound very full, balanced, and lifelike. I haven't gotten them really cranking so far except in brief spurts, but at high volumes at nearfield distances they just sail along with no signs of complaint, distortion, or compression whatsoever. When I close my eyes I just hear the music...there is no coloration or clear hints that I am listening to speakers, and the controlled directivity helps to reduce an overabundance of reflected sounds from the nearby walls and desktop surface. As a diagnosed basshead, though, I am not certain that I'll be able to avoid slotting in a sub in the future. I'll have to play with dialing up the bass on these first.

Top Bottom