• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D400ES DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 58 24.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 153 65.4%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor
I've been using M500 Mk3 for many months (I bought it when it was launched last year).. and am quite happy with its quality. Its performance is of course well beyond my hearing capabilities. It also came with very high performing headphone amp (imho).

Looking at measurements of newer and much pricier products from SMSL (also from Topping), I'm having hard time in understanding price-performance relationship. What might be benefits of choosing those products over their lower (yet high performing) offerings like m500 mk3?
One example is that some people will happily pay for looks (not the case here) or that premium feeling some devices have.
Would also pay built quality (inside and out) and proved sourcing of reliable components (kind of insurance for the devices hooked to it).
Also warranty,ease of every interaction may be required,etc.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Excellent performance, but at that price, my money and trust go to RME.
Yes - SMSL has yet to prove longtherm reability .
Very good performance on this dac.:)
Personally, for this price I also expect DLNA/Wi-Fi support , AirPlay and ROON, and a digital output with a sota volume control.
No need for bluetooth.

A Minidsp flex is cheaper and can do much more things like active crossovers and peq/eq.

Last edited:

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looking at that analog filter thingy it think I have the same one in my SU-9N. They just say custom 1 und custom 2 and I actually asked SMSL what those do but I got no response so far ... after half a year.:eek:

But I think SMSL is super confused right now. Just a few weeks ago this one was tested, it's more expensive but looks the same and performance a little different (worse?). I really don't know what the Daseinsberechtigung of those DACs is. Maybe SMSL is just slapping their surplus chips into nice cases and putting them on sale.

That I am really annoyed by the SINAD war should be no secret to anyone. The first DAC manufacturer who adds a decent DSP into their DAC that is not called miniDSP get's a pretty crown.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Cost is relative. For example a DCS Vivaldi DAC retails for $42000 and I’m lost for words what conceivable additional performance it gives over the humble $900 DAC categorized by independent testing as state of the art.
This should be printed in large letters and hung across every high-end audio dealer's door.

Toni Mas

Excellent performance, but at that price, my money and trust go to RME.
The features offered by RME usb interfaces, and other cheaper items from other brands specialized in studio gear, go far beyond what offer these sinad champions, with their 2 channels only outputs, hi-res BT for casual and picky users. More analogue and digital outputs, analogue and digital inputs with quality preamps, DSP, etc...

BR52

@amirm could you measure the output impedance? It's interesting to know because of the analog output filters and not published by SMSL.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice DAC at a great price.
Unfortunately, yet another DAC with a remote control amplifier outputs but no trigger.
There appears to be a blind-spot...

@amirm, since inter-sample overages are possible, can a measurement be added to see which DACs can handle source material that has this issue?

- Rich

Trell

Major Contributor
Seems unnecessary when U can do that stuff in software. :)
Sure, and many do exactly that. As long as you use a computer as source that works fine, but what to do if you use other input sources?

Personally I don’t want that done on my PC either, to avoid the hassle, and I also use audio interface so possibly not straightforward to do on Windows and have everything working fine with no latencies.

Room EQ is not running on my PC either as that is handled by my Genelec monitors and subwoofer.

This makes for a simpler life for me. :)

tensor9

Forum Donor
1673452782812.png

Little confused. If this is a SINAD vs volume plot, why is it labeled as max volume?

And am I wring here’s, but isn’t the low level SINAD exceptionally good??

Last edited:

Toni Mas

Seems unnecessary when U can do that stuff in software. :)
The RME allow 2 different modes, 2 channels, and in multimode 8 channels. 2 channels allow 768Khz, while multi channel "only" 192khz.

Kachda

Forum Donor
@amirm can you also include pictures of the remote going forward? If someone is paying $800 for this, they should expect a quality remote, not the cheap lightweight plastic ones with squishy buttons

mash

Like others here, I would like to see some of these DAC/SINAD champions lean more towards the "digital preamp" direction. By this I mean that I would like to see things such as:

- multiple digital USB inputs
- an analog input with ADC
- a Trigger
- and DSP functions

miniDSP and RME are definitely focused on this space and offer most of these features. I would just like to see more players in this space (creating more feature options at lower prices).....rather than getting another 2 inaudible SINAD points.

YSC

Major Contributor
assuming dacs are much less likely to break in short term, and quite a lot of top performinig or audibly indistinguishable options out there, even with SMSL and topping along their lines with great connectivity options, these mid-high priced ones feels more or less useless IMO, if you are into SINAD above all camp, choosing from their own options saves a few hundred bucks more, if you are into the high-end look/feel/gimmick camp, you likely won't choose topping/smsl anyway

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like others here, I would like to see some of these DAC/SINAD champions lean more towards the "digital preamp" direction. By this I mean that I would like to see things such as:

- multiple digital USB inputs
- an analog input with ADC
- a Trigger
- and DSP functions

miniDSP and RME are definitely focused on this space and offer most of these features. I would just like to see more players in this space (creating more feature options at lower prices).....rather than getting anther 2 inaudible SINAD points.

The DAC3 has all but the DSP funcitons, though you can get those with MiniDSP SHD Studio or Roon.

- Rich

Nango

Major Contributor
What does this add to the market that doesn't exist already?
Excuse me? Quarter of a point in SINAD terms well behind the earing threshold, is that not enough??

If RME put their Adi-2 into DAP size including the superb amp section DSP etc they could sell it north of €2.000 ....bet on it!!!

Last edited:

Repdetect

Forum Donor
i think at this point people should be looking at an smsl or topping dac that has close enough performance to these $800 units with the features you need and just 'settle' for that

and yes... i wouldnt personally want to trust any $800 dac i had to buy from china... hell i wouldnt even buy an $800 smsl dac from a local dealer because I dont beleive that smsl can support HIM properly...

if a dac goes bang I doubt a local dude would get much help from smsl in china
I ordered an SMSL product from APOS in early Dec. It was sent from China, I found it had a noisy display, sent it back to APOS immediately, still awaiting replacement to be sent.
Ordered a similar product from amazon, thought it was defective (turned out to not be defective), called amazon for a replacement, The replacement was shipped out from Amazon the same day I called them. Needless to say but I'll never buy from APOS again.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
View attachment 256473
Little confused. If this is a SINAD vs volume plot, why is it labeled as max volume?

And am I wring here’s, but isn’t the low level SINAD exceptionally good??
I am simulating the volume control by changing the input level digitally. AP software can't do the test as you envision. Results should be the same though.

Top Bottom