• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Topping DX7 Pro+ Have Proper 'Analog' Volume Control?

Nate29

I have a DX7 Pro+ DAC currently feeding directly into a power amp (I have both Akitika (SE) and Audiophonics NC252 (Balanced)).

1) Do I need a preamp in this chain? I only plan to have 1 digital source via USB.

2) Does it matter if I connect to both amp at once via RCA+XLR mode? I think someone mentioned they had issue with impedance when running in this mode. I was planning to do some A/B testing between the 2 amps via this feature.

I have read a few post here regarding this topic and it always boils down to "If DAC has proper volume control", then maybe I don't need a preamp if I only have 1 source.

What does "proper" volume control mean? And if DX7 Pro+ is good at volume control without sacrificing fidelity down the chain. I read from Apos that the DX7 Pro+ has a stepped volume control, but I can't verify if this means it's analog or pure digital.

Would be great if anyone can clarify this up.

staticV3

Master Contributor
1) Do I need a preamp in this chain? I only plan to have 1 digital source via USB.
No. The DX7Pro+ was designed to handle preamp duties.

I have read a few post here regarding this topic and it always boils down to "If DAC has proper volume control". What does "proper" volume control mean?
Not sure. You'd have to ask the people in question what they meant when they wrote "proper".

I read from Apos that the DX7 Pro+ has a stepped volume control, but I can't verify if this means it's analog or pure digital.
From the marketing it sounds like the volume control is purely digital:
6622211.jpg
(This is fine!)
If it were an analog resistor ladder then they would advertise it as such.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
(This is fine!)
Indeed. If there is any DAC that's qualified for use with digital attenuation, one with an ES9038Pro in mono mode and 133 dB(A) worth of output dynamic range (ref. 4.2 Vrms) would have to be it. Its output noise contribution should just about equal the NC252's here, i.e. the output noise floor of the latter goes up by about 3 dB with the DAC attached compared to a shorted input. We're still talking a total noise floor of about -116.5 dB below 2.83 Vrms, 20-20k unweighted. I think even horn tweeters beyond about 110 dB / 2.83 V / m are a bit thin on the ground, so you should be good there.

Top Bottom