• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Better setup for patio than Sonos - my thoughts

Terry Stahly

I currently have a pair of Revel M80XC powered by a Sonos connect but recently got the newer Sonos amp. I decided what the heck if I want better sound to splurge a little. I ended up with a Krell S300i with my old Lumin T2 since I ordered the T3 for my indoor system 328be / 426be / balancedforce 212 subs, 3 monster Krells etc.

I am going to run premium speaker cable to a pair of Revel Performa 126be and mount them under my overhang I live in IL. I will put some waterproof nylon covers on them just in case with elastic bands.

I am curious if anyone thinks I should bring them inside and store them in the winter since the pool is covered and it gets below zero which is no big deal to do and probably not a bad idea.

I am thinking the Lumin to Krell to performa 126be speakers should be very impressive but would like some opinions prior to making billet speaker mounts.

Thanks, Terry

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I currently have a pair of Revel M80XC powered by a Sonos connect but recently got the newer Sonos amp. I decided what the heck if I want better sound to splurge a little. I ended up with a Krell S300i with my old Lumin T2 since I ordered the T3 for my indoor system 328be / 426be / balancedforce 212 subs, 3 monster Krells etc.

I am going to run premium speaker cable to a pair of Revel Performa 126be and mount them under my overhang I live in IL. I will put some waterproof nylon covers on them just in case with elastic bands.

I am curious if anyone thinks I should bring them inside and store them in the winter since the pool is covered and it gets below zero which is no big deal to do and probably not a bad idea.

I am thinking the Lumin to Krell to performa 126be speakers should be very impressive but would like some opinions prior to making billet speaker mounts.

Thanks, Terry
How many years do you expect them to last? Placing speakers outdoors under cover doesn't mean they're protected from the elements; outdoor humidity will likely kill them after not very long.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How many years do you expect them to last? Placing speakers outdoors under cover doesn't mean they're protected from the elements; outdoor humidity will likely kill them after not very long.
The alternative is something like the JBL Control 1 and the Control 5.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL Control 1 or 5 as an alternative to Revel Performa M126be???

OP
T

Terry Stahly

If any of the four people from Harmon Kardon actually read my emails I might know. They said the M80xc works but did not mention anything about what I asked them about the life of the 126be in heat and humidity. Typical nobody is able to do much of anything these days and the responses a person gets from emailing companies is laughable they are so brain dead if it were not so frustrating.

OP
T

Terry Stahly

OP
T

Terry Stahly

The Revel M80Xc that I have not are far superior to the JBL they sound quite good even my neighbor said they are the best sounding outdoor speakers he's ever heard. I want something better, if it comes down to it adding the Lumin and Krell S300i in place of the Sonos will be a big improvement and I may add the Revel mushroom subwoofer if the 126be are not going to last. As an alternative I can set them inside the patio door in the corner and take them out and use banana plugs when I want better sound than my existing Sonos M80Xc's.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If any of the four people from Harmon Kardon actually read my emails I might know. They said the M80xc works but did not mention anything about what I asked them about the life of the 126be in heat and humidity. Typical nobody is able to do much of anything these days and the responses a person gets from emailing companies is laughable they are so brain dead if it were not so frustrating.
Given the 126Be was not designed for outdoor use, a specific answer might not exist. I don't think you will get a specific answer on the 126Be beyond a recommendation to use an outdoor speaker instead.

OP
T

Terry Stahly

We do not recommend using REVM126BE or any other wood speakers be used the outside. As the finish on the speakers should not be exposed to the outside elements.

The subwoofer would add s nice low end to your sound.

Thanks,

Sam
Harman Luxury Audio

I have done some research and the main issues are paper speaker cones and humidity (Revel cones are not bothered by humidity) the finish on the speaker cabinets especially if they are pressed sawdust or other and you need to make sure the speaker cable connections are clean and proper. Bottom line other than some weathering of the cabinets they will work fine. I will probably have a very good body shop to put a clear coat of something waterproof or that is suitable so the nice gloss finish can be preserved.

AlmaAtaKZ

Sonos is rumored to release a new more advanced speaker this year. It may (or may not) be weather resistant.

Ajax

Forum Donor
Hi Terry,

I live near Byron Bay in a sub tropical environment on the east coast of Australia. We have a lot of rain and humidity gets extremely high.

I have installed an outside system on my patio consisting of a Sonos connect (bit perfect and stable) feeding a Benchmark DAC 2 via optical out. The signal is then fed into a Buckeye NC252MP amp via balanced out that drives a pair of B&W AM1 speakers.

Although the items (except the amp & speakers) were purchased used and are over 10 years old, the sound is crystal clear (stunning) at extremely high volumes. The speakers bass is reinforced by a passive bass radiator on the back and are specifically designed for outdoor use. There is no sign that they have suffered from the humidity over the 2 year period.

I have also connected a 12" Velodyne subwoofer from the RCA out of the Benchmark and set the cross over at 70Hz.

From B&W's web site:

"With our trademark Nautilus tube-loaded 25mm aluminium dome tweeter and 130mm glass fiber mid/bass driver supplemented by an auxiliary bass radiator for solid, powerful bass response, AM-1 has sound and scale way beyond its compact dimensions. Delivers high performance audio in an incredibly resilient package."

You can find them for US$433 a pair.

Good luck.

OP
T

Terry Stahly

Harmon (Revel) told me the only concern would be the cabinet finish which I am having professionally prepped and sprayed with a waterproof gloss finish. Once again a bunch of people who have unqualified opinions and incorrect. I come on here for accurate information.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks, Terry
I would pull them in. I do. I have mine mounted in my Carolina room which is screen enclosed but still gets exposed to elements (humidity, heat and cold). It only accelerates the oxidation and foam breakdown.
I pull them, and the electronics inside for the winter.

OP
T

Terry Stahly

I would pull them in. I do. I have mine mounted in my Carolina room which is screen enclosed but still gets exposed to elements (humidity, heat and cold). It only accelerates the oxidation and foam breakdown.
I pull them, and the electronics inside for the winter.
I just put a note in my iCal for the next twenty years to bring inside and take outside Nov 1st and April 15th I am in Florida anyway and it cannot possibly hurt. 5 min job anyway.

Top Bottom