• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Triangle Borea 03 replacment

dommaku2

I am looking for new speakers as my Triangle Borea 03 are:
1. Sounds Stage is fantastic especially vocals
2. Bass for Dance/Electro music is more than good enough
3. Guitars / cymbals are great and detailes

but
I just feel multiple songs / genres still are unenjoyable - also often you feel as if there was a Pneumatic Jackhammer at work.

More detail:
I used to have Floor-standing Canton GLE 470 and 100+ watt Onkyo 8150 in big apartment/living room.
I could listen for long time enjoying sound. I would get tired only after long session due to high volume.

Now living in a small flat I only got space for smaller stand-mount speakers:
1. I experimented with location/position of speakers.
2. I tried to replace my CA DAC MAgic 100 with another DAC felt no different
3. I replaced 25 Watt CA AXA 25 with NAD - better sound especially bass, more enjoyable but still not perfect still feel jackhammer.
4. I used to have Dali Spector but needing bit more bass Triangle was an upgrade

attached is photo of my room in case somone thinks it's the accustics of the room
tempImagerxB0bA.jpg

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @dommaku2! Welcome to ASR.

It would be helpful to know:
Have you tried EQ? That can save you a lot of money.
How much do you want to spend?
Do you want new speakers with warranty, or is used ok too?
Would you be OK with active speakers that have their own, internal Amp?

OP
D

dommaku2

Have you tried EQ? NO- would software say spotify EQ work?
How much do you want to spend? - I will sell Triangle for about £200 so adding like £300 would get me to budget about £500 - I seen new Focal Aria 906 or used Dynaudio Emit 20 in this price.
Do you want new speakers with warranty, or is used ok too? Used ok
Would you be OK with active speakers that have their own, internal Amp? not ok with this. Would need to look to again sell eveyrhing while I just bought amp :/

staticV3

Master Contributor
the EQ built into Spotify isn't really the right tool for the job.
What's more, it looks like Spotify is slowly phasing out the feature. It's still available on Desktop, but no longer on Android.

What OS are you using to play music? And how is your DAC connected?

OP
D

dommaku2

I got Tidal on Mac Book Air (M1) with Mac OS Ventura which is connected to the DAC via usb.
I sometimes connect android phone via USB but got impression sound is worse.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Then I'd recommend you install either Soundsource or eqMac and apply the PEQ detailed here.

Keep in mind that with both programs, you have to pay to get the proper PEQ.

And also that the EQ I linked is for when the Borea BR03's tweeter is vertically aligned with your ears.
So the distance between the floor and your ears should be the same as the distance between the floor and the tweeters.

Looking at the picture you posted, the tweeters are currently way below your ears.

OP
D

dommaku2

1. eaMac does not change sound that goes from DAC (perhaps that's why it's cheaper)
2. Soundsource works fine but I don't know how to enter parameters as per the link

I see below and can't figure out how to tune Equaliser based on the Filters numbers:
Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 18.31.19.png

staticV3

Master Contributor

Attachments

• Triangle Borea BR03 PEQ (pierre).txt
    1,014 bytes · Views: 54
OP
D

dommaku2

I lisetened more and I feel like sound is still not enough. It's not rumbling, sizzling etc. but it's not enough dynamic for me.

I am off to buy floor standers like Dali Oberon 5.
Really disappointed - My previous system costed under 1000£ (Onkyo 8150 + Canton Gle 470) and delivered plesure.
None of the bookshelf I had so far (had 3 now ) was even close.
All I wanted was something I put on shelf and get maybe less volume but decent quality. It does not work this way it seems.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sounds like you're just missing low frequency extension.

OP
D

dommaku2

I am selling amp and speakers - This is because you getting best deal if you buy package. Most tempting I seen was Marantz 6007 + Dali Oberon 5 for £900.
Will go an listen first but I love the size of the oberon 5 and think it can't be bad. Maybe it's a sub that is missing / maybe not - but if not then I will need to seel speakers and sub and start from scratch.

Last edited:

The Inner Sanctum

Change your source material to test the system just use a quality CD player (could borrow from a friend) and stereo reciever No External Dac, No computer. Your testing and less cables the better. Bring your speakers to ear level not below your ears. Your Triangle Borea 03 speakers might not be getting all the clean signal information for great quality sound especially in the midrange area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom