• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soundcraft Notepad 5 Audio Interface Review

Rate this interface

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 76 65.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

bYOndo

hey! we're almost on page 3 and not a single word about its real contender: Behringer Flow8.
I have it (sorry @amirm I cannot send it to you, I'm using it for working) and for what it does it's a great bang for bucks :cool:

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Of course, the standards against which we must judge such devices are their suitability for the intended purpose. We can make the mental leap that this cheap $120 mixer/interface will not be selected to record a symphony orchestra or Willie Nelson's next CD.

It's most likely for podcasts and videos that will mostly be heard through the likes of Earpods or laptop speakers. And its low price enables the production of such content by potentially [or not] talented talkers.

One doesn't start a marksmanship class using a Howitzer.

ReluctantGT

Thanks again for the review @amirm! I bought it to use on my desktop for learning songs on bass through headphones. Also briefly used for videoconferencing before I got a proper headset. Functionally, it ticked all the boxes (including the one labeled "cheap"). I've had great experiences using SoundCraft analog mixers for live sound, so I figured this would be a great choice.

The DAC performance is definitely disappointing, but for my use case it's still totally viable. I'll just start plugging a good DAC into the line-in. :)

I'd love to know how the headphone amp performs, too, but Amir did warn me he was only going to test the DAC/ADC.

Sokel

Master Contributor
So it's grandmother and cheaper E-MU 0204 blows this away with it's ancient AKMs?
(I AM surprised)

Nathan_A

Forum Donor
I nearly bought a Soundcraft Signature 12 mixer a year or so ago, but ended up with a Tascam Model 12 instead. I've often wondered how it shapes up in terms of measurements since it has a somewhat unique architecture compared to its peers.

I'm kind of surprised how little concrete data there is on the performance of studio equipment given that if it's garbage, then it barely matters how good your consumer playback gear is.

JEarle

Forum Donor
With all the digital boards being the norm, quite easy to go and find FX units for 30 bucks or so. There are hundreds of thousands of those just gathering dust.
Hook an Alesis Quadraverb up to it and watch the SNR drop to 2dB. :D

dtaylo1066

Shape enables it to make a quite an effective and stylish door stop in your home's audio room.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Shape enables it to make a quite an effective and stylish door stop in your home's audio room.
Great idea!
Why don't you start a "Audio Door-Stop Hall of Shame" thread?
We can all post our personal "door-stops"... all the while, feeling good and laughing about our own audio-phoolishnesses!:)

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think most use cases of this product would be for analog mixing for live PA applications, with the digital inputs/outputs basically being there for convenience. At least, with the level of digital performance, I’d hope that most use cases would be confined to analog inputs and outputs.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thay are not functionally the same. In the vast majority of the use cases, this will be used without a computer or any digital involved. The digital IO is an added feature, not the core use case.
Exactly what I was thinking.

AndreaT

Forum Donor
Of course, the standards against which we must judge such devices are their suitability for the intended purpose. We can make the mental leap that this cheap $120 mixer/interface will not be selected to record a symphony orchestra or Willie Nelson's next CD.

It's most likely for podcasts and videos that will mostly be heard through the likes of Earpods or laptop speakers. And its low price enables the production of such content by potentially [or not] talented talkers.

One doesn't start a marksmanship class using a Howitzer.
Focusrite Scarlett measured better.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went through this in more details.

The next higher model in range (8FX) looks much more interesting to me. It includes proper effects, as an example.
Functionality review may be found here.

By the way, they say USB feed is mixed with RCA in. That won't help SINAD and SNR (except if RCA is shorted ?)
Also, beware that Phantom power is always on.
Don't plug another interface output to the XLR in.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I went through this in more details.

The next higher model in range (8FX) looks much more interesting to me. It includes proper effects, as an example.
Functionality review may be found here.

By the way, they say USB feed is mixed with RCA in. That won't help SINAD and SNR (except if RCA is shorted ?)
Also, beware that Phantom power is always on.
Don't plug another interface output to the XLR in.
Oh, I didn't see the phantom power thing. Yikes! I think this and other issues would make me think this is one shoddy product probably no one should use.

Some of the ART mixers would be better for a few dollars less or more depending upon inputs needed.

Merifon

My Yamaha AG-06, similar in form factor, i think is more useful and versatile. I would like to know if eventually it performs better.
I could send it to test but my making masterpieces recording activity should be paused...
Anyone more near located, has one to send to Amir?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
With all the digital boards being the norm, quite easy to go and find FX units for 30 bucks or so. There are hundreds of thousands of those just gathering dust.

it is a stupid product. whoever buys this will think it is enough. it wont work for anybody but kids playing around with an electric guitar (only usecase I can think of). all the other people buying this will soon realize they need to buy something else.

Top Bottom