• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L70 Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 9.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 272 85.8%

• Total voters

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Just wanted to show off my L70 and the whole setup.

Attachments

• tempImage85PXSq.jpg
    tempImage85PXSq.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 400
  • tempImagedSX9sj.jpg
    tempImagedSX9sj.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 398
  • tempImagekYoiiv.jpg
    tempImagekYoiiv.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 391

gmoney

I finally got one of these and think its amazing strictly for the easily switchable headphone output via remote. I can have all 3 of my cans permanently plugged in and just tap "B" on the remote to switch between them + it saves the gain/volume between the 3. No more unplugging and plugging crap in constantly as I tend to use 2 separate open backs for enjoyment and gaming as well as a closed back when necessary.

The real question is why does topping not produce a all in one unit that combines the L70 and E70. Having the E70 paired with this is such a huge waste of space and cable mess. Give me both in one unit and I'll pay a $100 premium vs buying them separately.

rarewolf

I finally got one of these and think its amazing strictly for the easily switchable headphone output via remote. I can have all 3 of my cans permanently plugged in and just tap "B" on the remote to switch between them + it saves the gain/volume between the 3. No more unplugging and plugging crap in constantly as I tend to use 2 separate open backs for enjoyment and gaming as well as a closed back when necessary.

The real question is why does topping not produce a all in one unit that combines the L70 and E70. Having the E70 paired with this is such a huge waste of space and cable mess. Give me both in one unit and I'll pay a $100 premium vs buying them separately.

Offering them separately at least allows you (in any case, me) to purchase them separately. I purchased the L70 first and connected it to my DX3P+ (DAC mode).

It works well with the DX3, the bass is accurate and punchy, and the treble air is a bit more present. It was a mystery to me when I first used this more powerful amp why the volume setting was what the DX3 was set at, that is, until I looked up the specs and its SE power output is pretty much at the same level as the DX3. I’m still good because I really intend to use its balanced output with a pair of Fostex T60 Argons, which won’t be on my head for another 2 weeks… cannot wait!

Some time this spring give me 3mo to figure out the audible difference between the E70 and the Velvet, and if the latter is worth the extra $100…

Edit… grammar…

Last edited:

rarewolf

Offering them separately at least allows you (in any case, me) to purchase them separately. I purchased the L70 first and connected it to my DX3P+ (DAC mode).

It works well with the DX3, the bass is accurate and punchy, and the treble air is a bit more present. It was a mystery to me when I first used this more powerful amp why the volume setting was what the DX3 was set at, that is, until I looked up the specs and its SE power output is pretty much at the same level as the DX3. I’m still good because I really intend to use its balanced output with a pair of Fostex T60 Argons, which won’t be on my head for another 2 weeks… cannot wait!

Some time this spring give me 3mo to figure out the audible difference between the E70 and the Velvet, and if the latter is worth the extra $100…

Edit… grammar…

… and speaking of the Topping L70 versus the Velvet, the future DAC doesn’t really need to be Topping, although they stack much better than with the DX3…

… any suggestions on what my peers would choose?

Reactions: GPJ

Zeliya

… and speaking of the Topping L70 versus the Velvet, the future DAC doesn’t really need to be Topping, although they stack much better than with the DX3…

… any suggestions on what my peers would choose?
You realy not need any E70.
Buy E50.

rarewolf

You realy not need any E70.
Buy E50.

Cannot argue with the price, and it does have an excellent DAC and balanced outputs, but I do often rely on the DX3P’s Bluetooth input, which the E50 does not have…

kekotron

Nice PCB.
Display simply Led.
Power drivers looks clever. Capacitors ar outside.
What's the disassembly procedure? mainly concerned about the display ribbon. What's holding the front glass panel?

cesjr02

I received the L70 and had a chance to run it through its paces. Overall I'm very happy and it suits my needs well. It's neutral, clean, and quiet. I'm currently waiting on a "balanced" 4-pin headphone cable for my HD600's.

My only nitpick if I had to choose one: I'm not a big fan of the capacitive on/off/select button on the front. I guess it lends to the clean look of the unit, but I'd personally prefer separate toggle switches.

rarewolf

If I had the L70, I would choose the E70. The ESS SABRE ES9028Pro is an incredible cutting edge piece. IMO, the stack is one of the nicer looking one's around, I really like the look of the silver units. I have a D30 Pro and A90 as a stack and as much as I like the L70/E70 it would be a very unwise move for me to even think about switching over.

I’m only a bit concerned regarding the DAC chip in the E70. I cannot find where the ES9028 chip is used in any other Topping (over the x038 and x068 chips), and the AKM in the Velvet is supposed to be AKM’s flagship. Even my DX3P+ is using the x038 chip). Maybe someone can put me at ease without using the “cannot hear any difference” argument over these Sabre DAC versions compared with the AKM in the Velvet—but one reason for me to consider AKM is that I already have an excellent DAC in the DX3’s x038, and for that reason I'm in no particular hurry.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I’m only a bit concerned regarding the DAC chip in the E70. I cannot find where the ES9028 chip is used in any other Topping and the AKM in the Velvet is supposed to be AKM’s flagship.Maybe someone can put me at ease without using the “cannot hear any difference” argument.
What comes out of the DAC is the only thing that matters.
Obsessing over flagship this, tier that, class that leads nowhere.

rarewolf

What comes out of the DAC is the only thing that matters.
Obsessing over flagship this, tier that, class that leads nowhere.

That’s an opinion I’d appreciate gathering myself from peers willing to share their actual experience with both versions of the E70, thank you…

Veri

Master Contributor
I’m only a bit concerned regarding the DAC chip in the E70. I cannot find where the ES9028 chip is used in any other Topping (over the x038 and x068 chips), and the AKM in the Velvet is supposed to be AKM’s flagship. Even my DX3P+ is using the x038 chip)
The DX3 Pro+ uses 9038Q2M. E70 uses 9028PRO. The latter is a higher tier product, in any case..

rarewolf

The DX3 Pro+ uses 9038Q2M. E70 uses 9028PRO. The latter is a higher tier product, in any case..

Thanks for your input, and agreed, the nomenclature cannot be trusted to indicate the tier and any possible differences in sound quality. However, that’s not everything to be concerned with. For example, ESS v. AKM jitter management is different for both E70 versions, and one of my primary input PCM streams is via opitical. Will one implementation over the other help? … still to be determined…

… my research goes on, but deadline is a considerable ways off…

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks for your input, and agreed, the nomenclature cannot be trusted to indicate the tier and any possible differences in sound quality. However, that’s not everything to be concerned with. For example, ESS v. AKM jitter management is different for both E70 versions, and one of my primary input PCM streams is via opitical. Will one implementation over the other help? … still to be determined…

… my research goes on, but deadline is a considerable ways off…
You can always (ab)use the returns system and buy both from amazon for example and test the optical compatibility. Then send one back. It's not like you will notice drastic sound differences. But if the device works well, sure that's an important one :)

Bleib

Major Contributor
There are two 9038Q2M in the DO100. It's a top tier DAC. I have one and can't for the life of me tell the difference between it and the Sabre 9068 in my E50. Both are outstanding.
Yup, DACs are way better than human hearing, so buy after looks, functions, remote etc

rarewolf

You can always (ab)use the returns system and buy both from amazon for example and test the optical compatibility. Then send one back. It's not like you will notice drastic sound differences. But if the device works well, sure that's an important one :)

I’m certainly not one to be squeamish over “abusing the system”, but as a North American dealing with a market overseas, it would be a bigger pain in the a** for myself as well as the seller, and Apos has been pretty good to me.

And, you’re correct, it’s not like I would notice drastic sound differences. But that’s not the point making a knowledgeable purchase. As gearheads, we enjoy taking care before spending our money, and just as enjoyable is doing our homework. After all, it’s why these forums exist… :)

Edit… spelling ambiguity…

Zeliya

What's the disassembly procedure? mainly concerned about the display ribbon. What's holding the front glass panel?
Disassembly and especially reassembly is a trick.
Dismantling of the front panel is not possible without a special key. It's better not to.
0. Remove the two outermost screws on the rear panel.
1. Remove the volume control knob, unscrew the nut.
2. Pressing on the 6.3mm connector, move the PCB 2-3cm.
3. Through the hole of the XLR connector, disconnect the display cable from the PCB with long tweezers.
4. Take out the PCB.
5. Reassemble in reverse order.

Last edited:

kekotron

Disassembly and especially reassembly is a trick.
Dismantling of the front panel is not possible without a special key. It's better not to.
1. Remove the volume control knob, unscrew the nut.
2. Pressing on the 6.3mm connector, move the PCB 2-3cm.
3. Through the hole of the XLR connector, disconnect the display cable from the PCB with long tweezers.
4. Take out the PCB.
5. Reassemble in reverse order.
There's a nut under the volume knob? I'm asking because my L70's front panel doesn't sit flush with the body on the left side where touch power/sel button is, i can push it back flush in but after some time it manages to pop out by itself again. I was wondering if this is some kind of an assembly issue i can quickly fix myself, as I would prefer to not send the unit back to china considering it has no actual usability issues.

Attachments

• P_20230110_162213_1.jpg
    P_20230110_162213_1.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 150

Zeliya

There's a nut under the volume knob? I'm asking because my L70's front panel doesn't sit flush with the body on the left side where touch power/sel button is, i can push it back flush in but after some time it manages to pop out by itself again. I was wondering if this is some kind of an assembly issue i can quickly fix myself, as I would prefer to not send the unit back to china considering it has no actual usability issues.
Yes. Under the volume control knob there is a nut that fixes this block.
The volume control is a normal encoder.
The fastening of the front panel is similar to the fastening of the rear. Only from within. 2 screws.
Not a problem at all.
Take it apart and I'm sure you can tighten them up.

Attachments

• Enkoder.jpg
    Enkoder.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Top Bottom