• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crown 4|300N Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 68 36.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 50.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 5.3%

• Total voters

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
why I built processing in amps ?
"Pro" means "flexible"

Having DSP in the amp became the standard in pro equipment for the last 10 years, since DSP are good enough.

It allows multiple optimisations, here even through network, for very quick setup in different configurations.

The question, for a multi channels pro amp, would rather be "why NOT DSP ?" today, actually.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For Home HiFi use, sure.
(Although the Crown is more likely to be found second hand for a better price. And Pros never pay the list price when buying new anyway)

But for sure not for installation or touring PA, which is the intended use of this one.
This is very true. I purchased this 4/300n amp for $800. I just saw there is someone trying to sell a 4/600n for $1000.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep referencing to this and it's parameters.> Then people can sortaaa kindaaa make up their own minds.
index.php
Here are the amplifiers that are within 6dB of this Crown. Notice how many of famous names it beats?

Best pro multichannel amplifier review 2023.png

CedarX

Forum Donor
Amir confirmed that an ADC/DAC is always present in the pipeline. How much noise improvement would you get if you feed the amp. digitally (removing the ADC from the pipeline)? In a bi-amp scenario (e.g. JBL M2) with analog input, would using the DSP for crossover duties also cut part of the ADC-generated noise, improving the noise performances overall?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir confirmed that an ADC/DAC is always present in the pipeline. How much noise improvement would you get if you feed the amp. digitally (removing the ADC from the pipeline)? In a bi-amp scenario (e.g. JBL M2) with analog input, would using the DSP for crossover duties also cut part of the ADC-generated noise, improving the noise performances overall?
I wish that could be tested but the digital input is Harman proprietary BLU-Link and @amirm’s generator does not have that as an option, I believe. You can use another device from a Harman owned company BSS to convert Dante to BLU-Link and the Dante signal can then be created in software. Naturally, we can’t expect all of these to be available for free.

If Harman has the guts, they would publish their data as it is tested on ASR. Unfortunately, multibillion dollar companies do not normally have guts. They have lawyers instead…

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can use another device from a Harman owned company BSS to convert Dante to BLU-Link and the Dante signal can then be created in software.
You have a multi channels Dante ASIO driver from Audinate.
One license comes free with any physical Dante hardware, AFAIK.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
streaming with this amp?
Not in the classical sense. It supports HQNet which is streaming of digital audio from one box to another using Ethernet wiring. It is not Internet or home streaming.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Voted not terrible as the fr deviations are small but broad , it can be audible. It can also be corrected if you know about it ! This product is probably better in a professional installation.

Btw why I built processing in amps ? Why not a separate processor or “drive rack” or wth :) the pros call these kind of things ? Why inbuilt in the amp ? Clutter and heaps of equipment does not bother pros as much as home consumers?

Amps may live longer than digital processors in general?
Crown do have amps without the DSP in their range - but not I think 4 channel ones at this power level (plenty of 2 channel options, and the CT range for 4 or 8 channels, but at lower power outputs)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
For professional installments this amp might make sense but for normal people and pro-sumers it’s just an overpriced underperforming amp.
If you need 4 channels with a lot of power and DSP there are many less expensive options like a MiniDSP flex with some Audiophonics LPA-S500NC for example.
Crown amps are often available used, less than a year old, at very good prices - from the bands / PA marketplaces.

There are often bargains to be had (I picked up my XLS2500 for US$250...)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I don’t understand your logic. Which of the following are domestic Hi-Fi equipment?

I use the XLS2500 as domestic Hi-Fi equipment - does a fabulous job with my low impedance speakers (1.6ohm low point) - and only cost me US$250 used.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I keep referencing to this and it's parameters.> Then people can sortaaa kindaaa make up their own minds.
index.php
IMO, the colours here are well gauged - the margin of audibility for SINAD is around 60db - which is the start of the "orange"/Fair section.

Lots of very highly regarded vintage amps have specs for THD+N that sit within that "orange" area and sound very good indeed (eg: my Quad 606 amps).

Higher is better - but IMO, anything over 70db SINAD is totally acceptable.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Crown amps are often available used, less than a year old, at very good prices - from the bands / PA marketplaces.

There are often bargains to be had (I picked up my XLS2500 for US$250...)
I have a CT8150 I am using at the moment and I find it to be quite good… and fanless.
IMO, the colours here are well gauged - the margin of audibility for SINAD is around 60db - which is the start of the "orange"/Fair section.

Lots of very highly regarded vintage amps have specs for THD+N that sit within that "orange" area and sound very good indeed (eg: my Quad 606 amps).

Higher is better - but IMO, anything over 70db SINAD is totally acceptable.
I think your bar of 60dB is too low IMO. It seems to me it depends on a few things..
-How much of the SINAD (THD+N) is noise vs distortion. Noise is easy to hear.
-Listeners volume level. If you are listening at low volume, Low SINAD just isn't going to matter much all. Put a SINAD of 60dB that is noise dominated at reference level, it can certainly be a problem
-Sensitive speakers-put a SINAD device of 60dB that is dominated by noise on some highly sensitive speakers, can be a problem
-Room-Some people listen in a noisy environment like a living room with a high noise level. It is going to be hard to notice. However, many have went to a lot of trouble to have a very low noise floor and in these rooms noise can be very noticeable. For example in a well designed theater room, you can have 16 speakers, some within 3-5 feet. Hearing noise during quiet passages is not what you want to hear.
Does a device need to have a SINAD of 115dB to be transparent for everyone's use? No. But a SINAD 60dB in many circumstances will not be audibly transparent.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If, in the future, ASR is inclined to include testing of professional gear; may I suggest the use of 'rental' audio gear to contain costs of such testing?
[I am not certain if this 'ploy' would be considered un-professional or un-ethical.]

Bartl007

Crown do have amps without the DSP in their range - but not I think 4 channel ones at this power level (plenty of 2 channel options, and the CT range for 4 or 8 channels, but at lower power outputs)
I use 2 of the crown DCI 4/300 amps (same as tested but without DSP-the "N" stands for network capability/DSP) to drive surround and overhead channels. $471 per amp refurbished from affinitechstore.com when I purchased mine 2-3 years ago.

Top Bottom