• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the Arendal 1961 1V subwoofer worth getting?

Opal

Hi there. I am using a SVS SB-2000 Pro and is looking to upgrade or sidegrade to a ported subwoofer. After using this for 2 years i realised i prefer a ported subwoofer more.

I am looking at the Arendal 1961 1V subwoofer and they look sleek and has nice measurements down to 12.5hz. For US $1099 are they worth getting? Their measurements i believe are shy of the pb-2000 Pro and pb-3000 especially above the 20-25hz region. However they dig deep and deeper.

2M peak measurements:
CEA2010_1961_Subwoofer_1V.png
1669761643184.png

The Arendal are relatively flat, only 13.4 db difference between 16hz to 63hz. pb-2000 are 19.6db and 22.4db for the pb-3000.

Does the figure above mean anything? Can i assume that even though the measurements are not on par with the SVS, the overall flatness allows me to increase the subwoofer volume which will sort of 'solve' this without any frequency range getting too loud. Is this theory wrong? Sorry i am quite new to audio science therefore am really curious.

Thanks alot!

ps, i cannot get hold of HSU, Rythmik. Monolith in my country(Singapore).

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Dunno if you stumbled on these:

I thought there was a review of the 2000 Pro on AH... sadly no.

OP
O

Opal

Dunno if you stumbled on these:

I thought there was a review of the 2000 Pro on AH... sadly no.
Hey thanks alot, yeah i read these earlier. I am looking at the PBs ported one.

However my question now is the 1961 1v at $1099 my best buy considering the measurements. Should i be concern that the pb2000 pros and pb3000 has a much higher output above 25hz which make it a better purchase? Does my flat response theory make sense for a subwoofer haha

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Hey thanks alot, yeah i read these earlier. I am looking at the PBs ported one.

However my question now is the 1961 1v at $1099 my best buy considering the measurements. Should i be concern that the pb2000 pros and pb3000 has a much higher output above 25hz which make it a better purchase? Does my flat response theory make sense for a subwoofer haha
I misread... *blushes

I am one of those who will ALWAYS recommend a ported Sub. ...Unless it's a cr@p design. ;)

Bass gets trickier than what we shop for in Speakers. Unfortunately, it's pretty impossible to find a magic subwoofer that gains in output as it drops in frequency! When you see the crazy folk with 3, 7, or 13 Subs... it's because they are able to then sculpt their room response. Likewise, looking for a maximally flat FR in a ground plane measurement doesn't tell you anything about how the Sub will behave in your room

While the Arendals are good Subs by all accounts, SVS Subs are not slouching in any regards. More often than not when you are comparing similar Subwoofers, there is very minimal differentiation between them. One design may offer slightly lower extension while the other offers a little more mid-bass punch. For many this really just comes down to personal values and what your system goals are. Personally, my value is on a strong 16Hz performance for Pipe Organ.

Beyond that... I let bass management do what it can for my room, and I only use room correction below my Shroeder Frequency. Remember that below ~300Hz, your room is acting as a resonant chamber and this has much greater effect on the way the Sub performs than it's "quasi-anechoic" measurements.

With that said, I would always urge buying larger than you think you need. Buying more than you think you need. Plan on using room correction and Bass Management down low. ;)

If possible, compare long term compression sweeps, not just CEA 2010 numbers. But also keep Distortion and Group Delay measurements in mind. Some of that can be hard to come by, but frankly those are almost more meaningful than the 2010 Burst Test is.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I like svs simply for the return policy and customer service.... And they don't suck....

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I like svs simply for the return policy and customer service.... And they don't suck....
I am curious how SVS policies play out in Singapore. My understanding is the "Customer Bill Of Rights" we know in the US is not valid elsewhere.

Likewise, once out of the US, prices for Subs vary pretty significantly. Due to their size and weight alone, shipping is ridiculous. Thus, availability is irregular at best, and costs can be astronomical depending on actual location of manufacture.

tw 2022

I am curious how SVS policies play out in Singapore. My understanding is the "Customer Bill Of Rights" we know in the US is not valid elsewhere.

Likewise, once out of the US, prices for Subs vary pretty significantly. Due to their size and weight alone, shipping is ridiculous. Thus, availability is irregular at best, and costs can be astronomical depending on actual location of manufacture.
I assume the customer service is still very good , assuming you can reach them , but warranty idk....

OP
O

Opal

I misread... *blushes

I am one of those who will ALWAYS recommend a ported Sub. ...Unless it's a cr@p design. ;)

Bass gets trickier than what we shop for in Speakers. Unfortunately, it's pretty impossible to find a magic subwoofer that gains in output as it drops in frequency! When you see the crazy folk with 3, 7, or 13 Subs... it's because they are able to then sculpt their room response. Likewise, looking for a maximally flat FR in a ground plane measurement doesn't tell you anything about how the Sub will behave in your room

While the Arendals are good Subs by all accounts, SVS Subs are not slouching in any regards. More often than not when you are comparing similar Subwoofers, there is very minimal differentiation between them. One design may offer slightly lower extension while the other offers a little more mid-bass punch. For many this really just comes down to personal values and what your system goals are. Personally, my value is on a strong 16Hz performance for Pipe Organ.

Beyond that... I let bass management do what it can for my room, and I only use room correction below my Shroeder Frequency. Remember that below ~300Hz, your room is acting as a resonant chamber and this has much greater effect on the way the Sub performs than it's "quasi-anechoic" measurements.

With that said, I would always urge buying larger than you think you need. Buying more than you think you need. Plan on using room correction and Bass Management down low. ;)

If possible, compare long term compression sweeps, not just CEA 2010 numbers. But also keep Distortion and Group Delay measurements in mind. Some of that can be hard to come by, but frankly those are almost more meaningful than the 2010 Burst Test is.
Thank you for the knowledgeable input.

The audioholics review do touched on the stuff you mentioned(distortion and group delay) but i tink it is out of my depth to conclude anything :D

i assume they are good as mentioned in the review.

The pb-2000 pros are the same price(S$1900) here to the Arendal shipped with international shipping included. While the pb-3000 are S$1000(cost S$2900) more expensive here.

SVS products are sold through a distributor here in Singapore so any warranty or returns are done against the distributor. SVS's own customer service and return/warranty policy is non existent here.

Another thing to take note is that the Arendals are increasing their 1961 subwoofer price by 15% on 20 December 22. They even have a countdown timer for it haha. So i still have a few weeks to decide this very difficult dilemma...

slacki

i am also looking for new subwoofer(s). i have an arendal sub2 and its really really good, tbh i love it, its just way too big/heavy. but even more problematic is, i can not get a second one :X
i am now considering to sell the arendal sub2 and either buy two 1S or two 1V or two 1723.

Sparky

Forum Donor
Can anyone please confirm the colour difference between the White Gloss and White Satin for the 1723 subs?

The Arendal website shows the Gloss White as being an "off white" colour and the Satin White being a "brilliant white" colour.
My friend has a pair of 17231s subwoofers and he says his subs are a "brilliant white" but they're the Gloss White finish so now I'm confused about the colours.

I would prefer an "off white" if I'm honest.

Sparky

Forum Donor
why not ask arendal directly?
Because I'm impatient! :D

It's ok, between my mate who owns them and watching an Arendal YouTube video on their colour schemes, I've figured out that the Satin will be the best bet.

I've ordered a pair of 1723 S1's in Satin White.

I've found out that Arendal are ditching the gloss white colour scene in the near future.
They are also considering offering coloured/wood effect cabinets too apparently......that would be amazing!

slacki

congratz, bought the same two, i am happy, they look great. and yes, i was also offered a discount for the gloss white's. they also sell them in the outlet for less. but i dont want gloss, too afraid of reflections.

Top Bottom