• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 96 31.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 115 37.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 63 20.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 10.2%

• Total voters

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have had it 6+ months now and I am really enjoying my Onkyo TX-RZ50. No third party adapter needed to enjoy 4K/120 content. No need to wait and pay extra for a DIRAC upgrade. Everything works exactly as advertised. I rip all my music on to an SSD in a lossless uncompressed format and plug the SSD into my Onkyo TX-RZ50’s usb input on the back. Instant music server! Every song from every album I own all accessible at the touch of the remote. Music sounds great. Movies sound great. DIRAC is easy to setup. Totally satisfied with my purchase.
I had no idea it had that functionality.. I just got mine set up this week finally, what's the interface look like for browsing music, can it shuffle everything or create playlists or anything like that?

I'm not as tech savvy as some of you people but I read the post prior to this. I have about 150 blu-rays copied to a hard drive on a computer that has issues. If I copy those blu-rays to a portable hard drive, is it possible to plug it back into the Onkyo with USB and then play those off of the Onkyo? Or do they have to have some sort of computer media player? Similarly if I have a nice Sony DVD player. Can I use that to feed the USB cable into it and play it back through the DVD player?

symphara

I'm not as tech savvy as some of you people but I read the post prior to this. I have about 150 blu-rays copied to a hard drive on a computer that has issues. If I copy those blu-rays to a portable hard drive, is it possible to plug it back into the Onkyo with USB and then play those off of the Onkyo? Or do they have to have some sort of computer media player? Similarly if I have a nice Sony DVD player. Can I use that to feed the USB cable into it and play it back through the DVD player?
I highly doubt the Onkyo has a media player that does video. You'll probably have to use something else, like a Bluray player, or something like an Android TV with USB input (e.g. nVidia Shield).

Are you saying a Blu-ray player can take a recorded Blu-ray that was stored on a hard drive and play it back? It's a brand new Sony Blu-ray player model UBPX700. I don't see any HDMI in there. Is it USB in on the front of it but I don't know what it's there for.

symphara

Are you saying a Blu-ray player can take a recorded Blu-ray that was stored on a hard drive and play it back? It's a brand new Sony Blu-ray player model UBPX700. I don't see any HDMI in there. Is it USB in on the front of it but I don't know what it's there for.
It depends on the format, but for sure. Both my Oppo and my Panasonic can do this. The capability (mkv etc) is usually listed in the manual.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I don't see any HDMI in there". The X700 has two HDMI outputs. Look in the back.

You're right, the HDMI outputs are outputs on the back. One of them says audio only. What I was looking for was how do I input from my portable five terabyte hard drive with all the movies on it? How do I input that into the DVD player? And I assume it's through the front USB port. I don't even know if this is doable, but it would certainly help me retrieve all those saved movies

symphara

And I also use MKV
Did you just try plugging your portable disk in? I don't have an X700, so you should try it (in the worst case it won't work) or read the manual. I personally use an nVidia Shield for this kind of thing, but mostly with network playback.

I D C S

Thanks @symphara.

Where can I get the latest Firmware for RZ 50, my firmware number is R116-0408-0040-0031.
Online checking fails "Unable to check Updates"
TIA
attempted to upgrade my Firmware

from R116-0408-0040-0031 to the latest R119-0509-0050-0031. Has anyone upgraded via USB? Any “watch outs” except those mentioned in the manual? Appreciate your patience with the rookie questions, just being cautious

Petroman

The 2015 Onkyo TX-RZ800 and TX-RZ900 were class A/B with AKM DAC.
Let us hope that one of the new AVR will take the same technical choices.
I have the RZ830 but the manual does not mention that it uses a class A/B topology. It does have AKM4458 I believe. I was surprised how good it sounds... the background is so dark with no hiss at very low or loud volumes. I usually listen to 2.1 stereo via lossless streaming.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i dont have this one but i have an onkyo that literally has had a dozen upgrades

they work fine... its even failed a few times but its always sorted itself out... rebooted and resume and back to normal

decryption

Just a question regarding Dirac Live and bass management on the RZ50/NR7100 - does it work out the right phase and crossover and all that stuff if you've only got a single sub?

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Alright guys, having a really frustrating issue and hoping someone can help..

I've been using Home Theater PC's for twenty years at this point, and never seen this issue a single time with any other brand of AVR. Basically, if I have my HTPC plugged into my RZ-50 via HDMI, and I try to use any of the Pre-Outs, there is significant noise that carries from the AVR to the external amplifier, and it affects ALL HDMI inputs, not just the one being used for the computer. If I use the internal Onkyo amplifiers, everything is quiet as a mouse, which makes zero sense to me. If I turn the computer off and use Xbox, PS4, or any other HDMI input, the pre-outs are clean as a whistle. I have tried using a different PC, and the result is identical.

I know some of you are going to say, why not just use the Onkyo amps? Basic answer is, I like my external amps and want to use them and shouldn't have to compromise on this in my opinion.

One diagnostic note: If I plug either PC into my Monster HTS3500 line conditioner, the "noise" is cut significantly, but not to a point where I'd be happy with the outcome permanently.

What would you do if you were me?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try putting the amps on another breaker circuit with an extension cord and see if goes away.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Alright guys, having a really frustrating issue and hoping someone can help..

I've been using Home Theater PC's for twenty years at this point, and never seen this issue a single time with any other brand of AVR. Basically, if I have my HTPC plugged into my RZ-50 via HDMI, and I try to use any of the Pre-Outs, there is significant noise that carries from the AVR to the external amplifier, and it affects ALL HDMI inputs, not just the one being used for the computer. If I use the internal Onkyo amplifiers, everything is quiet as a mouse, which makes zero sense to me. If I turn the computer off and use Xbox, PS4, or any other HDMI input, the pre-outs are clean as a whistle. I have tried using a different PC, and the result is identical.

I know some of you are going to say, why not just use the Onkyo amps? Basic answer is, I like my external amps and want to use them and shouldn't have to compromise on this in my opinion.

One diagnostic note: If I plug either PC into my Monster HTS3500 line conditioner, the "noise" is cut significantly, but not to a point where I'd be happy with the outcome permanently.

What would you do if you were me?
My well nigh identical Integra DRX3.4 is not showing this issue... and the experiment with the line conditioner seems to indicate that something external is going on here...

Rockman2

Just read that Sound united has mad a deal to acquire Onkyo and Pioneer. Doesn't make much sense as the just turned the company around with a new investor. Why Sell?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Just read that Sound united has mad a deal to acquire Onkyo and Pioneer. Doesn't make much sense as the just turned the company around with a new investor. Why Sell?
There was a deal under discussion where Onkyo (Japan) was looking for a buyer - that deal fell through in 2019.

Subsequently Voxx and Sharp formed a joint venture (Premium Audio Company) to purchase them, the deal was concluded in 2021 I believe.

You may have been reading some dated material? (not that I am saying it is impossible!... the musical chairs can always go for another spin!)

Rockman2

There was a deal under discussion where Onkyo (Japan) was looking for a buyer - that deal fell through in 2019.

Subsequently Voxx and Sharp formed a joint venture (Premium Audio Company) to purchase them, the deal was concluded in 2021 I believe.

You may have been reading some dated material? (not that I am saying it is impossible!... the musical chairs can always go for another spin!)
Yes possible but I was looking at CES 23 stories. I will try to find it again.

Thanks

morphemes

Onkyo recommends against 4 ohm loads.. & THX receivers just click off, last i remember, when you try to use them out of spec... in order to pass the THX certification... they wont do it. they'll just be like "no." & "CLICK!" would fail the THX tests... if they let you finish the 4 ohm test... they wouldn't get THX certified... you click off during the test and you get a NA because it never finished.. 'don't bounce checks your tush can't cash' seems to be the name of the game with the THX people...

Top Bottom