• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Canton Vento 826.2 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 126 54.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 79 34.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 5.7%

• Total voters

3125b

Major Contributor
What is a bargain at this price in Germany ?
At that price nothing, I‘d spend the extra couple hundred for R3. However the DBR62 were on sale for 350€/pair recently and I would argue that they are at least as good as these.

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
At that price nothing, I‘d spend the extra couple hundred for R3. However the DBR62 were on sale for 350€/pair recently and I would argue that they are at least as good as these.
I have listened r3 in person many times, i have owned ventos before. Also had demoed the vento 896 against a Kef r7. I felt them totally opposite speakers. I won’t call Kef a complete bargain at the price despite its excellent measurement. The most immediate thing when you listen to any non meta Kef is how “narrow” is their sound field. So if you are a fan of wide soundstage, that would be an immediate dismissal. I like ls50 Meta and r3 out of the kefs than their tower versions. The towers are good looking with one major disadvantage in my books: the height where they have their midrange assembly. It’s too low, and while sitting on a couch I feel it’s below my ear level and that amplifies the effect of narrow soundstage even more. LS50 meta is the Kef bargain imo at the moment.

Mosquito

Impedance dips pretty low so somewhat stressful for an amp:
View attachment 253176

Canton Vento 826.2 Listening Tests
I focused in a couple of areas: bass response and overall tonality. On the former, sub-bass output was not there. Then again, that is typical of small 2-way speakers. On overall tonality, I thought I found it somewhat bright. Equalization was hard given that the response errors are small and spread out. So I substituted the Revel Performa3 M105 which is similar size (though heavier) and price to Canton. Immediate impression was a warmer sound due to flatter bass response. I found it much more enjoyable to listen to for that reason.

Conclusions
The Vento 826.2 is beautifully finished speaker and with manufacturing in Germany, is priced right. Overall frequency response is close to target but could use some fine tuning. Power capability and bass response are weak point, something that was noted in the listening tests. So best to compliment with a sub with appropriate equalization.

I am torn on whether to recommend the Canton Vento 826.2. Overall objective performance is good but there are enough flaws that make me hesitate. Certainly there are better bets out there in US for that price. For those of you in Europe, those options may not be available in which case, the Canton may be a good candidate.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I would jut tune the vent to 65/70 Hz, and that's it.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Canton listed at 6kg, Revel at 7kg and 8kg for the M105 and M106 respectively.

Multiply by 2.20462 to get pounds.
Yeah, my DIY speakers were 16-18KG...Think it was 25mm MDF, at least for some parts, with lead bitumen plastered on the inside together with some bracing. It was deader than dead in terms of resonances.

I have M105s and M106s in my bedroom setup and most definitely they are not light weight speakers. Regarding CANTON, thanks @amirm for another great review. I have had listened to a couple of CANTON speakers in the past and while their finishes are very nice, I didn't like their tonality. Of course, this is a personal preference....
I have the M106 myself.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I have listened r3 in person many times, i have owned ventos before. Also had demoed the vento 896 against a Kef r7. I felt them totally opposite speakers. I won’t call Kef a complete bargain at the price despite its excellent measurement. The most immediate thing when you listen to any non meta Kef is how “narrow” is their sound field. So if you are a fan of wide soundstage, that would be an immediate dismissal. I like ls50 Meta and r3 out of the kefs than their tower versions. The towers are good looking with one major disadvantage in my books: the height where they have their midrange assembly. It’s too low, and while sitting on a couch I feel it’s below my ear level and that amplifies the effect of narrow soundstage even more. LS50 meta is the Kef bargain imo at the moment.
Interesting as I also like the LS50meta a lot and it is the 1st KEF speaker I really like for personal taste. The 1st thing I noticed is how the sound is bigger and more expansive vs other KEF speakers. I have never used the original LS50 though. Anyway, I though was strange as I don't think it makes sense based solely on the measured parameters but it is definitely what I hear. The ls50meta's do have a bit wider dispersion vs the Q150's that I also have here now. Man do they sometimes sound different.
I'd like to hear the LS60's however I can't buy them as even if I liked them I actually don't care for the finish. I know it is the same as the LS50mets and I like it on those, but in a tower form it just looks to much like a Lego thing or Gumby. Rarely aesthetic holds me back but somehow on the LS60's it is going to.

uwotm8

it just looks to much like a Lego thing or Gumby. Rarely aesthetic holds me back but somehow on the LS60's it is going to
KEF is trying IMO to nail the design/style/feel/language what made, say, Apple successful and actually doing a good job. Futuristic looking speakers for those who hate traditional speaker look while still equipped with good sound, connections, functionality etc etc. And yes, I don't like it personally too:)

dogmamann

KEF is trying IMO to nail the design/style/feel/language what made, say, Apple successful and actually doing a good job. Futuristic looking speakers for those who hate traditional speaker look while still equipped with good sound, connections, functionality etc etc. And yes, I don't like it personally too:)
I think you mistake them for lifestyle speakers like Bose B and O and so on.. NO , KEF is doing real engineering which is imo above all the more 'audiophile' brands. I respect them for doing some real effort here. But its still a fact that since coaxials beam directly towards front more than the traditional other brands, it sounds narrow. But if you like depth of soundstage, then KEF destroys and dances over all the other brands.

uwotm8

I think you mistake them for lifestyle speakers like Bose B and O and so on.. NO , KEF is doing real engineering which is imo above all the more 'audiophile' brands. I respect them for doing some real effort here. But its still a fact that since coaxials beam directly towards front more than the traditional other brands, it sounds narrow. But if you like depth of soundstage, then KEF destroys and dances over all the other brands.
I think you mistake that I mistake them:) The exact difference is that KEF stay KEF - audiophile speakers - while looking lifestyle.
Regardless their look, KEF speakers that I've heard did not impress at all.

dogmamann

I think you mistake that I mistake them:) The exact difference is that KEF stay KEF - audiophile speakers - while looking lifestyle.
Regardless their look, KEF speakers that I've heard did not impress at all.
soundstage width is the only flaw I saw in them. Other than that Kef produces the most neutral and transparent passive speakers at fair prices

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a software that can calculate in room bass response, if you feed it with spinorama data?
I suspect there is, but it would have to have a complex room editor, since even an open door to a neighboring room can change the in-room response.

AudioKC

I suspect there is, but it would have to have a complex room editor, since even an open door to a neighboring room can change the in-room response.

Double that. The best way to asses speaker in the room, is actual measurements of the speaker in the room. Be it REW or Dirac Live. It is OK to get speaker, to test it and return if you do not like sound and measurements.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

I just want a estimation, nothing is perfect.I just wonder, if less high bass with stepper role of in deep bass is more natural than less high bass with more gentle role of in deeper bass is more natural depending on room and positioning.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see. But i don't know such software.

fineMen

Major Contributor
I would jut tune the vent to 65/70 Hz, and that's it.
But below the tuning the acoustical short circuit would take effect. Many programs e/g electro pop would hit it. Hence no option to tune higher. I've got about 10dB of room gain here, so that the Vento ('wind', nice humble naming btw) would just fit.

No excuse, but a speaker of that size isn't expected to play as loud as 96dB. The distortion at that level, especially in the mid/treble range might be due to a defect. I would not accept it and return the product. My way older collected Cantons comprise a 3/4 inch tweeter, that play perfectly ( linear and non-linear distortion wise ) down to 2kHz x-over 2nd order.

Most probably it is not 'made in germany' but assembled in China. The badge must not be missinterpreted. It only says that the money-taker, Canton namely, sits in germany. In conclusion I would affirm the notion that it is too expensive gravitating too much towards a look-alike in contrast to a real good audio product. Some furniture, a lady's choice?

dogmamann

But below the tuning the acoustical short circuit would take effect. Many programs e/g electro pop would hit it. Hence no option to tune higher. I've got about 10dB of room gain here, so that the Vento ('wind', nice humble naming btw) would just fit.

No excuse, but a speaker of that size isn't expected to play as loud as 96dB. The distortion at that level, especially in the mid/treble range might be due to a defect. I would not accept it and return the product. My way older collected Cantons comprise a 3/4 inch tweeter, that play perfectly ( linear and non-linear distortion wise ) down to 2kHz x-over 2nd order.
What is the proof that your older Cantons didnt had this 'Defect'? Can you show any measurements? Did you hear the new Cantons to know if you can hear this 'defect'?
Most probably it is not 'made in germany' but assembled in China. The badge must not be missinterpreted. It only says that the money-taker, Canton namely, sits in germany. In conclusion I would affirm the notion that it is too expensive gravitating too much towards a look-alike in contrast to a real good audio product. Some furniture, a lady's choice?
Its assembled in Germany and the parts are made in their own factory Czech Republic. Theorectically you can still call it Made in Germany, as the making of the speaker as a whole is done in Germany.

fineMen

Major Contributor
What is the proof that your older Cantons didnt had this 'Defect'? Can you show any measurements? Did you hear the new Cantons to know if you can hear this 'defect'?
If you find some time, please explain your interest with this. Anyway, I won't dismantle my LE900 again. Not the least, after careful testing they may be seen as a worthy collectors item. If you don't trust my memory of "Wow, at that time (1970s) a really great piece of german engineering, this tweeter!" then I'm afraid I cannot do anything about it.

With the Vento in question here I don't need to 'hear' the defect. Obviously the large tweeter appears totally overstressed. That's something I would expect from either a worthlessly cheap or defect product.

Bild_2023-01-03_200215408.png
The distortion is extremely high--a 19$ tweeter I used until lately would not exceed 0,2% 2nd or 0.1% 3rd HD at these levels down to below the 1,9kHz x-over point. I'm tempted to withdraw my 'not that bad' vote and change to 'terrible'. If you only confirm the tweeter works as intended.

Its assembled in Germany and the parts are made in their own factory Czech Republic. Theorectically you can still call it Made in Germany, as the making of the speaker as a whole is done in Germany.
It is written: "most probably", so please accept my apologies. At least the badge doesn't explicitely state the common "Made In ...". I was misslead by the focus on appearance (to the eye) in contrast to the very early models ( e/g LE900 ) with, as discussed, sound tech and a humble, yet significant 'Bauhaus' design.

Last edited:

valerianf

My interest in Canton is that it is one of the rare brand still placing the mid-range above the tweeter in some of their floor stander speakers.
The BR port located in the speaker foot is also a nice feature.

Now that they have moved away from ceramic material for the woofer and midrange drivers, I have to wait for them to change the tweeter unit (still a ceramic one) that brings this awful distortion.
Then may be I will buy the new Canton Vento 100
dg5p.jpg

Top Bottom