• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Restarting from scratch, audio setup in a small room.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I would probably use GLM for volume control. But something like the SMSL PO100/Douk U2 can do volume control too and give me a transparent digital output with either the Genelec SAM speakers or Neumann DSP range. On a non-Genelec GLM/Neumann DSP system I would be using a MiniDSP Flex, which can control the volume, I think?

You are correct - but something about the double conversion of the digital signal bothers me, even if there's no discernible audio quality difference.

Good idea, I should at least listen to the Genelecs and Neumanns. Where will let me do this in Melbourne, Australia - I don't know.

30 cubic meter room, listening distance 1m - 3m away, which means the 8320A is more than suitable according to Genelec's chart.
If I google for Genelec Melbourne I can see 3 places, 1 being: https://factorysound.com/brand/genelec/page/2/

decryption

If I google for Genelec Melbourne I can see 3 places

Oh there's plenty of stores in Melbourne that sell Genelec - but they do not let you audition the speakers. Often they're only in stock in a warehouse, not in the showroom and they don't want to open the box just to demonstrate them to you.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh there's plenty of stores in Melbourne that sell Genelec - but they do not let you audition the speakers. Often they're only in stock in a warehouse, not in the showroom and they don't want to open the box just to demonstrate them to you.
Bahhh. Low risk retailing is for the birds. Gonna walk the walk then talk the talk...sigh*

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
See this video about the Douk U2 - demo of it in use appears to have volume sliders that can go up and down:

View attachment 254390

You can also set a hard volume limit in GLM too: https://support.genelec.com/hc/en-u...volume-how-can-I-prevent-that-from-happening-
So basically controlling it from the computer. If that’s usable for you then that works.

By the way, Neumann KH80 does NOT have digital input. Connected to an interface or the sub, it only accepts analogue input which is always converted to digital in the unit.

decryption

Bahhh. Low risk retailing is for the birds. Gonna walk the walk then talk the talk...sigh*

It's a bit frustrating. I plan to give a few retailers a call and ask if they have any Genelec speakers on display I can listen to. Hope I get a pleasant surprise.

Neumann KH80 does NOT have digital input. Connected to an interface or the sub, it only accepts analogue input which is always converted to digital in the unit.
That is correct - the subwoofer has the digital input and it sends the signal to the speakers via analog XLR, which I assume is then converted to digital again for the KH80's DSP. But like you said, this may not be an issue.

Hexspa

REW has a subwoofer routine and can generate EQ corrections. I haven’t used it for these purposes but it seems like a cheap computer can help you here instead of speaker dsp. I plan on trying this myself before going with the foreign dsp brands.

Top Bottom