• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I measured the deviation of 6 Earthworks microphones.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
I really liked the look of the CNC mic holding rig. Looked like a kind of gatling gun to me. :)

Appreciate the massive amount of work and time that went into this comparison @Nuyes Happy New Year!
Some users of the Korean audio community said something similar to you when they saw the process of making this mount.

DDCFB757-F658-4056-8FB3-2416A6B32079.jpeg

I think this is very similar LOL.

Thank you for your kind regards.
Happy New Year to you, too!

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
No need to excuse at all. Your measuring exercise was precise, detailed, and professionally executed. IMHO it was also easily understandable (except by one other person). I wish a mod would clean up the resulted mess here...

Thank you very much.
Your words are a great comfort to me.
I won't lose my passion.

Happy New Year!

thin bLue

Reviewer
I strongly need you guys words that the "M50 is DA BEST" to justify my careless consumption. Just Cry 큐ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ(<- repeated T.T Like Jyoshi Kosei)

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
What a massive undertaking! Great job! :D

The only thing I am puzzled by is the apparent discrepancy in self-noise compared to previous measurements:
17.png

Finally, this is self-noise measurement data.

All microphones are calibrated using the same SPL Calibrator before measurement.

This is measured in my studio, so it cannot be measured lower than the background noise in my studio.

And I recently compared the M23R and the M30, and the self-noise of the M30 measured at this time is somewhat heterogeneous.

But this time, I compared all 6 mics in the same place at once, so I believe in this data.

Selfnoise.png
I mean, a measurement like this is basically "stick the microphone inside a box with lots of sound damping and record the noise floor", there's not a whole lot of variables other than the input gain setting on the Babyface Pro really. A real head-scratcher!

(Maybe a bad cable or bad solder joint somewhere?)

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
What a massive undertaking! Great job! :D

The only thing I am puzzled by is the apparent discrepancy in self-noise compared to previous measurements:

I mean, a measurement like this is basically "stick the microphone inside a box with lots of sound damping and record the noise floor", there's not a whole lot of variables other than the input gain setting on the Babyface Pro really. A real head-scratcher!

(Maybe a bad cable or bad solder joint somewhere?)
Thank you for your valuable advice.
They're still in my studio, so I'll have to measure them again as soon as possible (before I return them to the owners).

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
If the noise measurements where done in the room the self noise might be swamped by the room. Maybe the AC (or other enviroment) noise kicked in for the one measurement. Best to test the mics in a sound proof box.

VeerK

This is a superb review, I own a few earthworks microphones so this was very informative and educational. Happy New Year :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If the noise measurements where done in the room the self noise might be swamped by the room.
It's almost certainly the case. In my mic measurements, I wrapped the mic in plastic and duct tape, then buried it in several hundred pounds of a sand and cat litter mix. "Soundproof boxes" generally aren't, especially at low frequencies.

I liked the laser jig. My method was a lot cruder, a hanging ping pong ball, moved away during measurement.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
I am attaching the missing data.

18.png

And,, the owner told me, the old M30 was low-sensitivity from the beginning.

19.png

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
It's almost certainly the case. In my mic measurements, I wrapped the mic in plastic and duct tape, then buried it in several hundred pounds of a sand and cat litter mix. "Soundproof boxes" generally aren't, especially at low frequencies.

I liked the laser jig. My method was a lot cruder, a hanging ping pong ball, moved away during measurement.
The way you made a great soundproof box looks great.
I'm really surprised you used sand to make it.
It's a really cool passion.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer

Thank you for providing me with the idea to make a sound insulation box.

I couldn't use the sand to resume this measurement, but instead I did the best I could.

I made a small box using 60T MDF (30+30).

IMG_4488.JPG

And I added sound absorber.

IMG_4490.JPG

And I wrapped this box around in a blanket to put it back in a big box.

IMG_4492.JPG
IMG_4493.JPG

Finally, I put it in a box and sealed the entrance.

This box has become a pretty good piece of equipment, at least for me.

I used the SPL calibrator for all microphone measurements.

It is impossible to accurately check the performance limit of my SPL calibrator.
At least the relative comparison using the Earthworks M30 data sheet is as follows:

splcal1.jpg.JPG
splcal2.jpg.JPG

There is little difference between the official datasheet and the DIY measurement data.

Let's get down to business.

01.png
02.png

M23
03.png

M23R #1

04.png

M23R #2
05.png

M30 #1

06.png

M30 #2

07.png

M50
08.png

One curious thing is that a small amount of distortion was found in all M23 microphones (including R).

And coincidentally, I was able to measure the Minidsp UMIK-1 and UMIK-2 microphones at the same time.

09.png

You can see that UMIK-2 has the smallest self-noise.

All measurements are now complete.

Each microphone goes back to its owner's arms.

It's a clear limitation that this is just a relative comparison in the same environment, but I hope you enjoyed it nonetheless.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I'm not an expert on microphones.
I'm just one of the users who is curious about the deviation between actual use.

Measurements were performed after controlling the same position as possible on the XYZ axis, and confidence limits were cross-validated and attached to the text.

And I would like to take this opportunity to resolve the misunderstanding.
I was also misunderstood by some users of ASR that I am a person who enjoys criticizing products.

I don't know if I can feel it in my expressions and sentences, but I live in a country that doesn't use English and it's hard to use English.

Therefore, it is a big burden for me to post on ASR every time.

I have measured and reviewed more than 100 loudspeakers so far. (For Korea)
But the reason why I don't post it all on ASR is because I feel burdened to use English.

That is why I mainly post on Sointuva and other loudspeakers to raise some issues.

In fact, Kaliaudio acknowledged the problem I suggested and improved the product.

I am by no means a person who enjoys slandering anyone.
I think this is one of the possible misunderstandings in my current environment.

And Earthworks' measuring microphones are free-field microphones.

You should know that the measurement through Window gating is equivalent to Free-field unless the direct sound is distorted.
I very much appreciate your reviews and think your English is absolutely fine.

There are many non native English speakers here, we learn while we write and read.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
I very much appreciate your reviews and think your English is absolutely fine.

There are many non native English speakers here, we learn while we write and read.
Thank you for your kind works. :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
But the reason why I don't post it all on ASR is because I feel burdened to use English.

Please don't let that stop you. I think most of us are appreciative of the effort made by our non native English speakers to be part of this forum.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Please don't let that stop you. I think most of us are appreciative of the effort made by our non native English speakers to be part of this forum.
I'm just grateful to be able to discuss this together despite the language barrier.
Thank you for your kind words. :)

mk1classic

M23
View attachment 256033

M23R #1

View attachment 256034

M23R #2
View attachment 256035

One curious thing is that a small amount of distortion was found in all M23 microphones (including R).
Thanks for the measurements.
I find it interesting that both M23R have more self noise spikes in the frequency curve than the regular M23.
The M23R should be tuned for flat and more equal frequency curve, these spikes shouldn't have been included. Unless this is the result of tuning.
The spikes may not have a large influence on speaker measurements or advanced room eq.

Even the UMIK-2 has better numbers.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I find it interesting that both M23R have more self noise spikes in the frequency curve than the regular M23.
The M23R should be tuned for flat and more equal frequency curve, these spikes shouldn't have been included. Unless this is the result of tuning.
These spikes have nothing to do with "tuning", they are some sort of interference.

Not sure why this would only be affecting the M23R. Is shielding not as effective? (Note a comparatively high 60 Hz mains hum as well, similarly high only on M30 #1 which I suspect may have some sort of production defect.) Is the output not properly balanced or output impedance on the high side? Is noise on the P48V supply getting into the mic's electronics perhaps? 2, 4, 6 kHz etc. on the dot, that's suspiciously looking like something USB-related.

The one time I had a mic generate extra noises was when one out of a set of two t.bone SC140 SDCs was generating wandering whistles at a low but audible level. I put it down to RF oscillation of some kind around the preamp FET. That order was cursed, I swear - the 10 m mic cables I bought at the same time were noisy and microphonic with P48V turned on, too (bad cable stock - when the conductors can move around inside, the entire cable effectively turns into a condenser mic).

Top Bottom