• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L PO100, PO100 PRO & PO100 AK - Measurements (Digital Interfaces & DAC)

morillon

Major Contributor
The digital tests could be made in a different way, maybe more easy and even more accurate.

1. Generate a 1 kHz 24 bit ditherd sine, send it out via USB to SPDIF. Use one of your ADI-2s to receive and record that signal. Analyze the recording (or do it all in realtime with Multitone). The result should be a FFT of a 1 kHz sine full scale with a horizontally smooth and linear noise floor at about -180 dBFS, and nothing else. Any kind of bit mangling would show artefacts here.

2. Use DeltaWave to compare the original file (the played sine) with the recorded file. They should cancel 100%, proving bit accuracy.

3. In case you have any RME interface other than ADI-2 Pro/DAC you can use DIGICheck to see the Channel Status content of the DUT's SPDIF output, that way verify if that channel status includes wrong information (copy protection, bit length, sample rate, channel number, emphasis etc). Unfortunately this is a DIGCheck feature that due to technical reasons is not supported by the ADIs (they instead show Professional or Consumer status and Emphasis of the incoming signal directly on screen).

4. You could have used Bit Test to send out via your DUTs into the ADIs.

Just brainstorming...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME
hello
the opportunity for a small question

on your machines.
is it possible to limit as much as possible, see "disengage" (in digital inputs) all processing of reclocking-improvements etc to allow a sufficiently "explicit" measurement-observation of "digital in the digital domain"...?
thank you
;-)

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any chance of opening up the PO100 PRO so we can see the crystal implementation?
As I don't see any screw whatsoever, it is not gonna happen. ;)

The PO100 worked great and sounded great. But then it died
Same here worked fine then one day just died!
WOW. Doesn't sound reassuring. Has the unit been discontinued because of reliability issues, @SMSL-Mandy ?

but it looks like you did the jitter testing at 48 kHz.
Absolutely. "Conventionally", J-Tests (12kHz tone with a 250Hz square wave) are done with 48kHz sampling rate. Here is the result at 44.1kHz:
PO100 PRO 44.1kHz Jitter.png
Maybe Vintageflanker can do a measurements with 1 kHz sinetone at the spdif coaxial output , first with 44,1 KHz digital input signal and then with 48 kHz input ?
I quickly tried that with REW just updated to V5.20.14:
PO100 48kHz.jpg

Norcal

Thanks, Flanker for another nice review. Since you have already amassed a few digital converter box reviews, could you please consider a review of the Hosa 313-CL? It seems like a lot of folks on ASR use them to convert the digital output from a streamer to AES/EBU for active speakers like the Genelec, D&D 8c and some JBLs, but I haven't seen any measurements. It seems like a somewhat common use case. I don't know how much they cost in the EU, but Sweetwater in the US sells them for $99.

Tangband

Major Contributor
As I don't see any screw whatsoever, it is not gonna happen. ;)

WOW. Doesn't sound reassuring. Has the unit been discontinued because of reliability issues, @SMSL-Mandy ?

Absolutely. "Conventionally", J-Tests (12kHz tone with a 250Hz square wave) are done with 48kHz sampling rate. Here is the result at 44.1kHz:
View attachment 253462

I quickly tried that with REW just updated to V5.20.14:
View attachment 253464
Thank you ! Wonderful results for
both 48 kHz and 44,1 kHz . This looks like a true bargain .:).

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely fabulous work. Thank you for this review of products in this price range. Helps us non-EE types with purchases. Please don't hesitate to do some more testing.

PB21

Very helpful review, thank you.
I'm leaning towards the PO100AK (four days ago I put one in my Amazon cart...), before reading this review.
I need a USB audio/DAC converter for my next Mini PC, with Toslink output (because I have a good Toslink cable bought for the current Android box, and I don't want to throw it in a corner).
After a few evaluations, such as the Topping D10S (which, however, I've read has several issues), and external sound cards like the Creative X4, or portable DACs like the FiiO M3K, the SMSL is a not-too-expensive cross-over choice.
But I have a question: after so many reviews of DACs, which product with Toslink output and a not too high price would you recommend?
Thanks in advance.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since you have already amassed a few digital converter box reviews, could you please consider a review of the Hosa 313-CL? It seems like a lot of folks on ASR use them to convert the digital output from a streamer to AES/EBU for active speakers like the Genelec, D&D 8c and some JBLs, but I haven't seen any measurements. It seems like a somewhat common use case. I don't know how much they cost in the EU, but Sweetwater in the US sells them for $99
I looked forward and this costs 195€ in France, so someone would have to send me one. Another problem is the lack of any AES/EBU input with my DACs. But theoretically, it could be done with one or two more electronic.

Thanks.You have bypassed Amir with your reviews.This is right and you are doing well because you are creating competition.
Well, I lack both 30 years of engineering background & some 30 grand analyzer to be any kind of "competitor" ! :p

But I have a question: after so many reviews of DACs, which product with Toslink output and a not too high price would you recommend?
Define "not too high". ;)

PB21

I looked forward and this costs 195€ in France, so someone would have to send me one. Another problem is the lack of any AES/EBU input with my DACs. But theoretically, it could be done with one or two more electronic.

Well, I lack both 30 years of engineering background & some 30 grand analyzer to be any kind of "competitor" ! :p

Define "not too high". ;)
Ehm, OK... in the 100-Max150 € range.
For now I will definitely use the Toslink for the Mini, but in the future the possibility of using the two excellent coaxial cables I have now on my media player (which I use mainly for Flac music and TV/movie series in the library), or as an experiment with music players to compare sound, is almost a certainty.
For this reason, I was leaning towards the PO100AK, rather than the PO100...
SMSL, Topping, Douk and a few others I know (after some research) are in this price range.

Last edited:

Rover

Why don't you test the i2s interface. How good is it. Very interesting.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Product pics are spot on, as always.:D Nice texture in the background, cool lighting. PXL for the win.:cool:

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ehm, OK... in the 100-Max150 € range.
All DAC with S/PDIF output listed at Audiophonics:
(Strange that the PO100 AK is not listed, BTW)

The Fiio BTA30 PRO seems to fit in your budget. Measurements by @Rja4000 there:

Why don't you test the i2s interface. How good is it.
Read the review entirely.;)

Sokel

Master Contributor
Please,please a DSD256 1Khz SINAD measurement,I'm curious about the H structure and noise.

Adaboy4z

Would you recommend the Topping E30ii over the PO100 AK? I'm looking to add a Dac to an older amplifier via RCA.

PB21

:)
All DAC with S/PDIF output listed at Audiophonics:
(Strange that the PO100 AK is not listed, BTW)

The Fiio BTA30 PRO seems to fit in your budget. Measurements by @Rja4000 there:

Read the review entirely.;)
Thank you, I will see in detail...
The FiiO is one I've seen in my research (and considered, as is the K3).
But, in your last review reply, you don't recommend the PO100AK at all, in your opinion is the Topping D10S or the FiiO really a better choice?
The Topping has many reviews of unreliability...

Tangband

Major Contributor
Happy New Year 2023, ASR Folks !

As suggested in the conclusion, I don't recommend the PO100 AK at all. So yes, either the E30ii or D10S are the way to go.
Happy new year 2023 !

ameerm

I have to PO100. Excellent unit and i agree the build quality is superb for the price. Using it as a USB to Coax converter for my NAD M51 because the USB implementation of NAD back then was shite.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Happy New Year 2023, ASR Folks !

As suggested in the conclusion, I don't recommend the PO100 AK at all. So yes, either the E30ii or D10S are the way to go.
Having the D10s and B, if you want Better Coax and Opti out I would say the P0100 Pro @ VintageFlanker is there a way you can test the DPLL ( I'm guessing that is what it is) For me with 2 Different Anthem (MRX latest) units the D10S/B has an issue staying connected and not dropping connection with bitrate changes. The first P0100 that failed was able to stay locked on, so far the PRO has been a lifesaver to get the PC in the chain. Thanks for the testing you do!

Now I have to make a video and send it to Aoshhida on Amazon so they can send it to SMSL to give recommendations. Grrrrrrr I mean yeah it's a $40.00 device but failed within 3 months, I don't feel I should have to jump-throw hoops.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Having the D10s and B, if you want Better Coax and Opti out I would say the P0100 Pro @ VintageFlanker is there a way you can test the DPLL ( I'm guessing that is what it is) For me with 2 Different Anthem (MRX latest) units the D10S/B has an issue staying connected and not dropping connection with bitrate changes. The first P0100 that failed was able to stay locked on, so far the PRO has been a lifesaver to get the PC in the chain. Thanks for the testing you do!

Now I have to make a video and send it to Aoshhida on Amazon so they can send it to SMSL to give recommendations. Grrrrrrr I mean yeah it's a $40.00 device but failed within 3 months, I don't feel I should have to jump-throw hoops.
I also sent a video.

Top Bottom