• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Toppong D50 Ouput impedance?!

Viper Necklampy

I was opting to buy Jds labs atom, Topping d50 atom and Audeze El8 closed headphones. I now checked the topping d50 output impedance and it seems to be 100ohm, i should be warried? Because the jds labs atom is 0,7 ohms, which could be just perfectly with EL8 Closed 30ohms.. Does D50 really is 100ohm, probably causing changing in tonality? I'm new to these gears, i could misunderstood something maybe.. Thanks :)

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can more or less disregard DAC output impedance as it has no influence on your headphones. It's only relevant for amp pairing and even then, it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.
A 0.7 amp output impedance would be fine with all 30 ohms headphones. EL-8 are planars, though, so you can plug them into any source regardless of output impedance and they would be unaffected.
EDIT: I was looking at EL-8 open. The closed version have an impedance swing between 2 and 3 kHz. They're a no-go with high output impedance sources.

D

Deleted member 2944

I was opting to buy Jds labs atom, Topping d50 atom and Audeze El8 closed headphones. I now checked the topping d50 output impedance and it seems to be 100ohm, i should be warried? Because the jds labs atom is 0,7 ohms, which could be just perfectly with EL8 Closed 30ohms.. Does D50 really is 100ohm, probably causing changing in tonality? I'm new to these gears, i could misunderstood something maybe.. Thanks :)
You're comparing apples and oranges. The D50 is not a headphone amplifier. The JDS Atom is.

Dave.

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

You can more or less disregard DAC output impedance as it has no influence on your headphones. It's only relevant for amp pairing and even then, it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.
A 0.7 amp output impedance would be fine with all 30 ohms headphones. EL-8 are planars, though, so you can plug them into any source regardless of output impedance and they would be unaffected.
EDIT: I was looking at EL-8 open. The closed version have an impedance swing between 2 and 3 kHz. They're a no-go with high output impedance sources.
So, if DAC output relevant only for AMP pairing, does the 100ohm of D50 works Great with 0,7ohm Jds Labs atom? Sorry, what do you mean with EL8 Closed 2-3khz swing and no-go with high output impedance sources? Does El8 closed/titanium will not fit almost-perfectly with 0,7ohm Atom?

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

You're comparing apples and oranges. The D50 is not a headphone amplifier. The JDS Atom is.

Dave.
Sorry, that's why i asked, i'm basically a Nooby :D So 100ohms of Topping d50 means very little, if not nothing?

jackenhack

Forum Donor
Always low output impedance, high input impedance. A factor of eight or more. 100Ω output impedance on the DAC, there is probably more than 10kΩ input impedance on the Atom. The same thing goes for the headphone amplifier output. Low output impedance, preferably 1Ω or less, which means that it can drive headphones with as low impedance as 8Ω.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, if DAC output relevant only for AMP pairing, does the 100ohm of D50 works Great with 0,7ohm Jds Labs atom?
Yes, it works great. Don't worry about it.
Sorry, what do you mean with EL8 Closed 2-3khz swing and no-go with high output impedance sources?
Low impedance headphones, with an uneven impedance curve, will have their frequency response altered by amps with a high output impedance.
Does El8 closed/titanium will not fit almost-perfectly with 0,7ohm Atom?
Yes, they do because the Atom has a low output impedance.

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

Yes, it works great. Don't worry about it.

Low impedance headphones, with an uneven impedance curve, will have their frequency response altered by amps with a high output impedance.

Yes, they do because the Atom has a low o lutput impedance.
Ok thanks so much, you guys are simply amazing. About the 2-3khz swing of El8 closed you mentioned with high output impedance Amps.. The atom is very low 0,7 ohm, does this 2-3khz mentioned will be presented in some way?

Last edited:
OP
V

Viper Necklampy

Aw
Yes, but we are talking about something in the ballpark of 0.1-0.2 dB. Completely negligible.
Awesome, for conclusion, does Atom+Topping D50+ el8 closed highly suggested? And i'll use it probably just with optical connections, i see topping d50 works Great with s/dpfi connection, while the atom i don't know if would be bothered of optical connection, but i see it connect only RCA, so i guess it's all ok (Just some thoughts of a new-into-audio gear newbie ahah) ;)

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

Always low output impedance, high input impedance. A factor of eight or more. 100Ω output impedance on the DAC, there is probably more than 10kΩ input impedance on the Atom. The same thing goes for the headphone amplifier output. Low output impedance, preferably 1Ω or less, which means that it can drive headphones with as low impedance as 8Ω.
I see, i'll have to figure it out, for my self :D The audio world is always more and more reveiling, great.. I'll make some research, my not perfect English comprehension is not of the best, so i'll have to engage.. For example I didn't get the 8ohm factor, no, actually i didn't get a lot of what you said, but i'll happy to figure it out in a n'era-future.. For example, I have headphones from more than, 2 years, but i never run in 10k ohm, never Heard of that, i'm only started to interest to buy 2 days ago some dac+amp separately, i'll always had some amp+dac combo, things ready for the go, like Sony Hw700ds, SoundBlasterX G6 and Sony Pha-3.. For now i just want to make sure the EL8 Closed+ JDS Labs ATOM+ Topping D50 works perfectly. I was also che king to spend around €200 on optical Cable + 200€ RCA cable, but someone says to not spend more than 25€ a cable, but i'm very temped to make a purchase that would work for the rest of my life pratically :/

jackenhack

Forum Donor
but i never run in 10k ohm, never Heard of that

You're confusing input and output impedance.

In a nutshell, DAC output->low impedance (Topping D50 100 ohm) -> Amplifier high input impedance (usually 10kohm or more) -> amplifier output low impedance (usually around 1 ohm) -> headphones high impedance (between 16 ohms to 600 ohms).

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

Oh, yes, i never heard about input specs, i'll try to learn ahead.. In that way it looks like my setup well be great sounding :D Thanks, to you all.
Now i'll open a little thread about warranty, if is worth it or not with these devices :)

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

topping d50 +atom is a great choice! only cable you need to buy is something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A02-0-3m-1ft-Pair-2pcs-RCA-Choseal-4N-OFC-HIFI-Audio-Cables/221439400844

nothing more
Thanks, I hope they'll come in max 2 weeks, not come broken or broke in few time :D about RCA, I wanted to buy something not so expensive, because maybe one day i'll figure it out a full Balanced hi-fi System and i'll have to abandone RCA's i think (Prepare yourselfs, one day i'll come for asking lot of questions like i'm doing ;)) something low-entry like Atlas Element 50€, good material OCC, great performance i guess.. maybe i'll take an optical around 200$, so to keep that with 20+ years or so :D

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

T
Spending money on cables won’t make any audible difference. Don’t waste your money :)
The problem is i Ordered this: Cavo Ottico Audio Digitale Toslink IVANKY 1,8 m [24K connettori ]- Cavo Optical Coassiale Digitale Fibra Ottico compatibile per Sound Bar, PS3/PS4, Xbox, Samsung TV,Playstation- Nylon-Grigio Siderale https://www.amazon.it/dp/B073H2V5LD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_g35tCbEFFKKFV reviews says it was outstanding like 100-200€ cables, i did even have qed performance optical cable, the results is the qed is much better, a lot more trasparente, to me, the difference is audible .. That 10€ cable even broken in just few days, i don't know if i can adjust it, just the optical part inside come out.. I Wonder if is better OCC or OFC *embarassed* eheh

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are plenty of reasons to doubt your perception that the more expensive cable sounded better, but I guess you’re already aware of them ;)

Can you pick the difference between the two cables in a blind test?

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

There are plenty of reasons to doubt your perception that the more expensive cable sounded better, but I guess you’re already aware of them ;)

Can you pick the difference between the two cables in a blind test?
Yes i'm aware of it, the most influencial factor could be that qed performance prodide good treble trasparency (reviews says) while my Audeze Mobius have lot of treble.. Just to mention one.. Yes i could defenately hear the difference in a blind test, i used the low price cable for 3 hours max, it should have burned in maybe for better performance, but that 10€ cable of the upper range is not so pleasant as qed,i swear i didn't like it at all. I think it would be fatiguing after 1+ hour of continue listening, with qed instead i could even turn up the volume with less fatiguing, so yh, that's why i'm temped to buy 200€ cable returning that 60€ qed cable.. I'm looking to a great 2x2 RCA for around 50€ now, dunno which buy really, to being ready for a great first hifi setup for 1000€ :D

Top Bottom