• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 493 82.2%

• Total voters

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Based on your reports I'm guessing you probably got a pair that deviate from the target by a few dB in the 2-5kHz range, as some of the measurements have been showing. Have you tried EQ'ing them and pulling back that range by 3-5dB? Will probably clean up the issues you've been reporting.

I have a paid and overall think they sound fantastic, but I do put a little dip at 3kHz on them to make them sound a little less bright.
As I wrote earlier there’s quite a difference in 3-7kHz range with different tips. But it’s actually related more with insertion depth. Because the peak at 7-10kHz has quite a wide skirt. And this difference is more than sample to sample variation. So I think that depending on ear canal anatomy and some will have more volume at 3-7kHz than others

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So I think that depending on ear canal anatomy and some will have more volume at 3-7kHz than others
Interesting comment, I have a question, not just about those particular IEM, in this thread, all IEM in general. If I understand your post, you are saying that insertion depth will affect the frequency we hear, much more than the IEM actual FR, if this is the case, is it just not easy for every one to insert those IEM, just so they sound great to them.
As I was new to using IEM to listen seriously, at the beginning I was having a little trouble to get the Zero to sound really great all the time, now with practice, it is not an issue anymore, but it tells me that, indeed, how they sit in your ears, can be a deal breaker and is much more determinant in the quality of your experience than many understand, if only having been exposed to headphones.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting comment, I have a question, not just about those particular IEM, in this thread, all IEM in general. If I understand your post, you are saying that insertion depth will affect the frequency we hear, much more than the IEM actual FR, if this is the case, is it just not easy for every one to insert those IEM, just so they sound great to them.
As I was new to using IEM to listen seriously, at the beginning I was having a little trouble to get the Zero to sound really great all the time, now with practice, it is not an issue anymore, but it tells me that, indeed, how they sit in your ears, can be a deal breaker and is much more determinant in the quality of your experience than many understand, if only having been exposed to headphones.
Same here. I still don't like the IEM experience not the sound in itself but I am not past the strange, hypochondriacal feeling of introducing something in y ear canal. I tolerate it but am conscious of it ...
I also find it a bit treble peaky but tolerable. Bass is very good, no issue of lacking low bass, for me ... A superb transducer IMHO. It has lowered considerably the threshold of diminishing return with IEM. ... now if one can cheaply equalized it, perhaps a Qudelix or equivalent and you have SOTA for < $200.oo, the mind boggles... BTW, I don't feel the need to EQ -it... but
On another note
NO!!! I AM NOT BUYING THIS ACCESSORY!! no... no:)
still a way for a good travel BT IEM...

Happy holidays!
Peace.
As per usual..:facepalm:
I ordered it:mad:...
hate you people!
:D
Happy holidays!
Peace.

aromig

I guess this is the quality you get with a mass market, low dollar item.
Exactly this. I had the same screen issue with a pair of Moondrop Chus I purchased through Amazon. Like you, I was able to correct the problem myself, and experienced no related issue afterwards. Thankfully neither the Truthear Zero nor the 7Hz Salnotes Zero I purchased through them had any issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: GPJ

Honken

Based on your reports I'm guessing you probably got a pair that deviate from the target by a few dB in the 2-5kHz range, as some of the measurements have been showing. Have you tried EQ'ing them and pulling back that range by 3-5dB? Will probably clean up the issues you've been reporting.

I have a pair and overall think they sound fantastic, but I do put a little dip at 3kHz on them to make them sound a little less bright.
I've put in a notch at 3.77kHz to bring this area down to Oratory1990s target, makes them more enjoyable with music to my ears. Got the idea from here:

Nango

Major Contributor
Put new ear tips on them and changed dramatically to the better, specially bass quality is there, still not enough in quantity but clearly much much better than with the stock tips. Size XXL is 15mm, XXXL is 16mm according to beyer. XL is 14mm.

IMG20221229153929.jpgIMG_20221229_160450.jpg

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Could be an alternative cheaper option to the zero, I‘ll probably order a set to try out.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Put new ear tips on them and changed dramatically to the better, specially bass quality is there, still not enough in quantity but clearly much much better than with the stock tips. Size XXL is 15mm, XXXL is 16mm according to beyer. XL is 14mm

View attachment 253265View attachment 253267
A little bit more about these? Please? I promise I won't buy :D

Happy holidays!
Peace.

Nango

Major Contributor
A little bit more about these? Please? I promise I won't buy :D

Happy holidays!
Peace.
Available on their own Webshop. Delivery free. Happy to have found tips bigger sizes than 14 mm. And half the price of all the overpriced Azla and Comply stuff. 5 pairs only 9.95-13.95€. Go!!!

On one size they shipped only 8 pcs so pls quote under remarks when you order: "Put 10 pcs inside not less than 10 pcs" HAHAHAHA !!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: GPJ

vitalii427

Forum Donor
I don’t clearly understand the bold part but it seems that it is not what I mean. I was talking about coupler resonance peak the frequency of which depends on insertion depth.

Here you can read more about it in Coupler Resonance section: https://crinacle.com/2020/04/08/graphs-101-how-to-read-headphone-measurements/

Cote Dazur

I don’t clearly understand the bold part
Sorry, I will try to explain better.
Is the frequency response affected by the coupler resonance peak controlled by insertion depth a bigger factor than the actual FR response variation from the different IEMs, resulting in IEM in ear placement being a major reason for differences in performance perceived from different listeners, more than inherent IEM specific FR response. Furthermore, with careful in ear positioning, can all/most IEM with a decent frequency response achieve great sonic performance and be tuned by proper placement to give a satisfactory result?

Last edited:

doug2761

Forum Donor
Does anyone know who makes the ear tips that come with the Zero? I've found that the large ones of the three found just above the foam tips work great for me. I'd like to get another pair. Anyone interested trading if you prefer the tips that I'm not using?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know who makes the ear tips that come with the Zero? I've found that the large ones of the three found just above the foam tips work great for me. I'd like to get another pair. Anyone interested trading if you prefer the tips that I'm not using?
Cant tell you who makes but I've never seen any the same on any other iem I've had or after market ones I've bought. Suspect they are made by /for truthear.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Sorry, I will try to explain better.
Is the frequency response affected by the coupler resonance peak controlled by insertion depth a bigger factor than the actual FR response variation from the different IEMs, resulting in IEM in ear placement being a major reason for differences in performance perceived from different listeners, more than inherent IEM specific FR response. Furthermore, with careful in ear positioning, can all/most IEM with a decent frequency response achieve great sonic performance and be tuned by proper placement to give a satisfactory result?
No. Two random IEMs has much more difference than just a peak placement. Actually it’s hard for me to detect notable difference changing insertion depth with same tips until start loosing seal

Cote Dazur

No. Two random IEMs has much more difference than just a peak placement. Actually it’s hard for me to detect notable difference changing insertion depth with same tips until start loosing seal
Thank you, I am glad it is that way. I was curious mostly because I find that IEMs, as oppose to headphones, to me, are a little finicky on how they sit in the ear and how that affect the sound.

It makes me think, it is like speakers, but without the ability to put tape on the floor to know where to put them back LOL.

As I am getting use to them, sitting the Zero in my ears where they sound great is much easier and not a challenge anymore, but at the beginning it was a little annoying.

DubbyMcDubs

Received my pair today. Bought from the Shenzhen Audio amazon option. Only took a few days in Australia, not bad.

For $72AUD they are impressive. These are my first set of IEM's and I am finding them fairly uncomfortable and cant use for extended periods, even with the smallest tips (ones at the top right of the card). Are the SpinFit ones slimmer? I must have narrow ear canals.

As for the sound, they sound pretty good for the money. I have tried with my iPhone 11 Pro Max via the apple lightning to 3.5mm adapter and also on my Benchmark HPA4/DAC3 combo. They don't really compete with my HD800S in terms of overall clarity. With acoustic music, they seem to be a bit dull. I tried Maiky76's eq but I didn't really like that tune. The bass kicks ass though. Kick drums etc are great!

For anyone playing along at home, subjectively speaking, have a listen to the following album on Tidal. It's a really well recorded acoustic album, which I love, by Tony Rice and David Grisman. I've listened to it on a lot of setups including Salon2's and Studio2's. On those speakers and the HD800S (with Oratory EQ) there is a crisp metalic sound that is true to the mandolin and Tony's guitar strings that is lost on these IEM's. I think it might be able to be EQ'd a little better to get them there. Thoughts? Subjective I know, but its just something that ive listened to a lot on various well measured speakers.

MajoloBama

You mention Tony Rice and David Grisman as a reference that you are used to hearing, how do you know that reference is correct? And not exaggerated?

Top Bottom