• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Canton Vento 826.2 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 126 54.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 79 34.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 5.7%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review, listening tests and detailed measurements of the Canton Vento 826.2 2-way stand-mount speaker. It is on kind loan from a member and costs 1,000 Euros.
Canton Vento 826.2 standmount bookshelf speaker review.jpg

The German manufacturer knows how to deliver a high quality enclosure and finish that is required at this price point. Not much to see in the back:

Canton Vento 826.2 standmount bookshelf speaker back panel port binding posts review.jpg

I read that Canton was once again distributing speakers in US and Germany. But as of now, I could not find any sellers in US and hence the EURO pricing. Don't know if they changed their mind and they are no longer being sold here.

For the measurements you are about to see, the reference axis is the lower part of the tweeter ring. Using the tweeter center as I normally do, created a broad(er) dip in the middle of the measurement range. The grill was not used.

Canton Vento 826.2 Measurements
Let's start with our usual frequency response measurements:
Canton Vento 826.2 standmount bookshelf speaker frequency response measurements.png

As you see, the frequency response is more or less flat. Alas, the port seems to be tuned low causing a drop of response below 120 Hz or so. There is also some tilting up of the response in upper treble or conversely, the aforementioned dip in the lower range.

Early-window response is good thanks to good directivity control:
Canton Vento 826.2 standmount bookshelf speaker early window frequency response measurements.png

Predicted-in-room response then is reasonable:

Canton Vento 826.2 standmount bookshelf speaker predicted in-room frequency response measureme...png

Although admittedly, I did not know how to quite draw the trend line.

Near-field response shows two strong resonances: one coming out of the port and the other likely caused by the woofer:
Canton Vento 826.2 standmount bookshelf speaker near field frequency response measurements.png

We can see the rather low port tuning. I wonder if it would have been better if it was at higher frequency.

Distortion measurements show a problem unfortunately with the woofer break up/resonance:

Canton Vento 826.2 standmount bookshelf speaker relative THD distortion measurements.png

To confirm that is the woofer, here is the near-field distortion measurement of the woofer:
Canton Vento 826.2 standmount bookshelf speaker near field distortion woofer response measurem...png

During the sweep, I could easily hear the woofer complaining at 96 dBSPL -- much more so than many speakers I have tested.
Canton Vento 826.2 standmount bookshelf speaker THD distortion measurements.png

Beam width has some variations but is typical of this class of speakers:
Canton Vento 826.2 standmount bookshelf speaker Horizontal beam width measurements.png

Canton Vento 826.2 standmount bookshelf speaker Horizontal Directivity response measurements.png

Canton Vento 826.2 standmount bookshelf speaker Vertical Directivity response measurements.png

Impedance dips pretty low so somewhat stressful for an amp:
Canton Vento 826.2 standmount bookshelf speaker impedance and phse measurements.png

CSD waterfall shows the resonances we have already noted in the frequency response measurements:

Canton Vento 826.2 standmount bookshelf speaker CSD Waterfall measurements.png

Finally, here is the step response for fans of that:
Canton Vento 826.2 standmount bookshelf speaker Step Response measurements.png

Canton Vento 826.2 Listening Tests
I focused in a couple of areas: bass response and overall tonality. On the former, sub-bass output was not there. Then again, that is typical of small 2-way speakers. On overall tonality, I thought I found it somewhat bright. Equalization was hard given that the response errors are small and spread out. So I substituted the Revel Performa3 M105 which is similar size (though heavier) and price to Canton. Immediate impression was a warmer sound due to flatter bass response. I found it much more enjoyable to listen to for that reason.

Conclusions
The Vento 826.2 is beautifully finished speaker and with manufacturing in Germany, is priced right. Overall frequency response is close to target but could use some fine tuning. Power capability and bass response are weak point, something that was noted in the listening tests. So best to compliment with a sub with appropriate equalization.

I am torn on whether to recommend the Canton Vento 826.2. Overall objective performance is good but there are enough flaws that make me hesitate. Certainly there are better bets out there in US for that price. For those of you in Europe, those options may not be available in which case, the Canton may be a good candidate.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Canton Vento 826.2.zip
    60.9 KB · Views: 66

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The rear stickers look different from when I last listened to and handled the previous revision, the Vento 826 - which unequivocally stated "Made in Germany", rather than "Made by Canton Germany". I wonder if there is some offshoring going on - that said much of their manufacturing based on IG photos of the assembly line seem to be in Germany.

Also notable is the well-balanced spinorama performance of this 826.2 given comparatively light directivity control and the somewhat complex 3D radiation pattern. FWIW I think anyone who can live with an LS50 Meta and peaks at the low 90dBs in SPL for a stereo pair will find the power handling unobjectionable. Indeed I thought the Vento series had a much more agreeable balance than the first-gen LS50.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
If a M105 weighs more than this then this must be extremely light? I was surprised at how light my M106's were when I got them. I was going to vote for "Fine" until I saw the distortion numbers. You don't expect distortion like that at this price point.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Clearly something for tube lovers, those who like “musicality”.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If a M105 weighs more than this then this must be extremely light?
No, it has good heft to it for its size. And also note that I did not weigh them. Just guessing from lifting them. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The rear stickers look different from when I last listened to and handled the previous revision, the Vento 826 - which unequivocally stated "Made in Germany", rather than "Made by Canton Germany". I wonder if there is some offshoring going on - that said much of their manufacturing based on IG photos of the assembly line seem to be in Germany.
I did note that but gave the benefit of doubt. Maybe I should not have!

valerianf

Is the 6khz distortion due to the resonance of the titanium woofer?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this review !
It's always good for us European to see European speakers being measured.
Speakers market is much more regional, likely due to logistics costs and risks.
I am torn on whether to recommend the Canton Vento 826.2. Overall objective performance is good but there are enough flaws that make me hesitate.
Such a high distortion at 96dB is not acceptable at that price, IMO.
Even less so given the shrinked bass response.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting that it has a good preference score but doesn’t sound as good subjectively as the JBL 708P.

Comments/thoughts? @amirm

The sound power DI and early reflections DI are flatter with the JBL, which was a characteristic I noticed with the TAD as well.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Comments/thoughts? @amirm
I think the low frequency response is biased toward extension that this has. If so, this is a flaw in the metric.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
No, it has good heft to it for its size. And also note that I did not weigh them. Just guessing from lifting them. :)
Ok, I also thought that my M106 didn't weigh that much. But I guess my perception is skewed due to the fact they replaced DIY speakers that were only slightly bigger (but same size woofer) than the M106 but were almost double in weight.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If a M105 weighs more than this then this must be extremely light? I was surprised at how light my M106's were when I got them. I was going to vote for "Fine" until I saw the distortion numbers. You don't expect distortion like that at this price point.

There are photos of the drivers out there - cones and surrounds aside, very rudimentary motors and frames, and I mean, generic OEM-esque.

Cars-N-Cans

Is the 6khz distortion due to the resonance of the titanium woofer?
I would say so. With a metal cone if there are no other measures to control it, then it will exhibit complex vibration modes with a fairly high Q, one reason paper and polymer are often used instead since they are much more lossy and do a better job of damping the resonances if the cone and material are properly designed and selected.

Edit: For what its worth the resulting distortion is actually at a lower frequency than the woofer resonances since there are overtones being excited which then produce the distortion. I would say that is the likely mechanism for why there is distortion showing up, and there is correlation between the woofer distortion and nearfield measurements showing the woofer resonances:

index.php

index.php

The first peak is at 2.5 kHz, which corresponds to 7 kHz for the 3rd harmonic. The next one is at 3 kHz, or 9 kHz for the harmonic, etc. These fall in the region where the woofer is showing resonances. The resonances die out after about 15 kHz, which then sets the upper limit for 3rd harmonic distortion at 5 kHz.

Last edited:

dogmamann

Also notable is the well-balanced spinorama performance of this 826.2 given comparatively light directivity control and the somewhat complex 3D radiation pattern. FWIW I think anyone who can live with an LS50 Meta and peaks at the low 90dBs in SPL for a stereo pair will find the power handling unobjectionable. Indeed I thought the Vento series had a much more agreeable balance than the first-gen LS50.
Canton makes their drivers in their own factory in Czech Republic and they assemble many of their speakers in Germany. This speaker is replaced by a newer version called vento 10 which uses a newer material of the drivers which may measure better. As a former canton reference 7k owner, the distortion measurements can be ignored in real life. you are not going to hear that distortion in a living room. On paper a ls50 would be more appealing but in real life, the cantons have a very wide soundstage may be due to its difference in radiation pattern. I noticed there is lot of hate in this forum towards cantons reference line, but I think it’s bit too much blown up focusing its non-issues

Trell

Major Contributor
This is a review, listening tests and detailed measurements of the Canton Vento 826.2 2-way stand-mount speaker. It is on kind loan from a member and costs 1,000 Euros.

Thanks for the review, and for the record I do own Canton Vento speakers myself (not this small model you reviewed) for my 5.2 setup and are fairly pleased with them.

Canton is refreshing their Vento line about every three years so the previous model(s) can be had for around 50-60% of MRSP of the refresh, so good deals can be made. I just checked that on a online retailer I've bought from before and the Vento 826.2 is currently 390,00 EUR each, and by emailing one can get better prices (or at least I did before).

It's worth mentioning that in EU the sales price includes VAT (value added tax) that in Germany is 19%.

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
As a former canton reference 7k owner, the distortion measurements can be ignored in real life. you are not going to hear that distortion in a living room.
Here are some measurements:

Cars-N-Cans

Canton makes their drivers in their own factory in Czech Republic and they assemble many of their speakers in Germany. This speaker is replaced by a newer version called vento 10 which uses a newer material of the drivers which may measure better. As a former canton reference 7k owner, the distortion measurements can be ignored in real life.
The 7k's you reference are a much larger set of speakers, and thus will have better SPL capabilities. Granted the lower response of the woofer in the Vento is also suffering similar amounts so its not quite the same as if it was just in that one area, but these will naturally be more limited due to the small size and only one woofer, so the distortion can only be ignored if you plan to not run them at any substantial SPL level. Once you go beyond that there is the possibility of large bursts of distortion on peaks in output, and it seems to set in fairly quickly so there's not a lot of room beyond 86 dB before things get unhappy. Whether that is an issue will depend on how its used.

Top Bottom