• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube gear section.

Do you want a tube gear section ?

• Total voters

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Same here.
A tube gear section on ASR would feel to me like a homeopathy section on a serious medical forum. As does the vinyl section btw :p

Unlike homeopathy, tube gear works (as does vinyl) - and pretty well. Just not as well as solid state.

If you are going to stretch analogies (never a good idea) it is more like comparing paracetamol to ibuprofen.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Maybe tubes & vinyl would fit under a separate heading of vintage audio, even as new gear of that type is being made today. The technology is vintage, if not its modern gear. And, the stuff has no right to sound that good if done right.
Now that I could get fully behind.

It could include discussion of vintage solid state gear also.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe tubes & vinyl would fit under a separate heading of vintage audio, even as new gear of that type is being made today. The technology is vintage, if not its modern gear. And, the stuff has no right to sound that good if done right.
I'm imagining many various convOs about tube amps and so forth between nOOBz and young and old alike...

Dismayed

Same here.
A tube gear section on ASR would feel to me like a homeopathy section on a serious medical forum. As does the vinyl section btw :p
If we apply your logic, we’d have to ask Amir to take down this site. All of audio is suspect. Have you ever read Stereophile or The Absolute Sound? Should Amir stop testing DACs and Amps, too, because some people claim to hear things that aren’t there?

On the other hand, I’d be interested in learning what can be accomplished with tubes. Yes, there are bad designs out there, but that’s true of modern designs, too.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same here.

Do you believe in euphonic colorations? Is it ever possible that something other than raw transparency is preferred under specific conditions?

Dither is one way of providing euphonic noise. It sounds better even though you are adding noise.

If so, measuring tube amps can help inform knowledge about how we perceive audio.

THEN, you can combine perfectly transparent hardware with software driven euphonic colorations.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone driving Genelec with tube pre?
I have JBL 708p’s which have a similar approach to audio to Genelec and Newmann.

I find that the JBLs sound the best when fed an AES/EBU digital signal. I suspect the same is true with Genelec’s.

Top Bottom