• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP SHD Studio alternatives

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I meant studio gear as in audio interface.
I heard the genelec 8351 with a dac/pre and wondered about the same question you have asked in your first post.

Basically I was advised I could get a dac and preamplifier but that would be for convenience only.
The other choice they offered would be to control volume in the digital domain, ie in software from a streamer. Tbh I did notice a noticable noise floor when controlling volume like this.
The third option would be to use a genelec remote as volume control. Disadvantage is that you wouldn't have a way to switch sources.

Tbh I would go for the rme or a benchmark dac because they have a well thought out product, great customer support and all the inputs you need. The rme seems the best value for money imo.
I think you're right mate.
I've owned a V1 ADI2 a number of years ago when I had a passive system with boxes everywhere! I'm well aware of the quality of the RME!! I miss it really and do regret selling it when I ditched the passive stuff.

I haven't considered Benchmark but will look into that.

I think the RME is edging towards the right device.......

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps a Digital bridge, Topping U90? No volume control though.

MCH

Major Contributor
One more case in which if the new wiim pro had a display, you could have a solution for 150eur. Wiim, listen please!
What a marvelous device it would be... (I am like your wife, also need a display)

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
like the sound of your idea and it would work if it was only me using the system but my wife needs a display to see what the volume is set to and to also the see the input.
That's what I liked about the Lumin that's all visible and can be controlled in the app. Volume can also be controlled in Roon.

Kervel

Forum Donor
I like the sound of your idea and it would work if it was only me using the system but my wife needs a display to see what the volume is set to and to also the see the input. We currently use a harmony remote to control everything but sometimes it can go a bit haywire so if we didn't have the visual reference, it would cause mayhem for her....
Well it does turn on automatically (my wife figured that out), but it requieres using the genelec volume control which is yet another thing. Personally, I like having a screen too...

Then there is this thing: while it shut down during the pandemic, not sure if it's back to life now: https://www.gevol.fi/

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Perhaps a Digital bridge, Topping U90? No volume control though.
Had a look at that the other day and I would have that if it wasn't for the volume control. :(

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
One more case in which if the new wiim pro had a display, you could have a solution for 150eur. Wiim, listen please!
What a marvelous device it would be... (I am like your wife, also need a display)
I'm not familiar with that product but I'll look into that just so I'm aware. :)

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
To be honest, I prefer a display too!! :)

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Had a look at that the other day and I would have that if it wasn't for the volume control. :(
Genelecs remote control is really bad. Never understood why they don't improve it.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Well it does turn on automatically (my wife figured that out), but it requieres using the genelec volume control which is yet another thing. Personally, I like having a screen too...

Then there is this thing: while it shut down during the pandemic, not sure if it's back to life now: https://www.gevol.fi/
Ooooooooh. I love the look of this thing!!
It's about time somebody built a device like this! It's a lovely bit of kit.
I'll do some digging on this Gevol

Thanks for the link...... :)

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of all the digital streamers I tried with the Genelecs I liked the User Interface of Lumin the best. They are expensive but might be able to find U1 mini at a reasonable price since they came out with the U2 mini.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Genelecs remote control is really bad. Never understood why they don't improve it.

Tried it a while ago. It plain didn't work at all. Genelec do not consider volume control for the likes of us home users. Why would they....they're fully a studio/professional business. They need to move with the times though....

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Of all the digital streamers I tried with the Genelecs I liked the User Interface of Lumin the best. They are expensive but might be able to find U1 mini at a reasonable price since they came out with the U2 mini.
Hmmm. Lots to consider here. I'll look into this Lumin too....

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I think I'll flat out dismiss the Lumin products as their website has no prices.
I avoid equipment like that as it's usually all bespoke products.
Looks similar to the Innuos gear I had years ago.

Zaireeka

This device maybe ?

lakepeople_datrs05_1006401_01_01_-1735865308_1200x12008qrR5bVrVaQ0M.jpg

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lumin sells through dealers, only direct if none in your area. The new U2 Mini is $2400.

juliangst

Why not use the analog inputs? I highly doubt that the performance of the Genelecs will be limited by using it's build in ADC.
I assume that it will be of similar quality as the build in DAC. The limiting factor with active speakers will always be the build in amps and not the DAC and ADCs.

If you still want to use AES I'd just go for a Raspberry Pi with an AES output HAT and a SDPIF to USB adapter.
With the Pi4 you can also use USB input using a power splitter. I'd setup everything in CamillaDSP. Volume can be controlled through a remote.

If that's all too complicated you can also use a Motu 8D or something similar but those kind of devices can get really expensive. That's why I recommend just using a good DAC for a simple setup.

BTW: A miniDSP flex would also work if you just use a coaxial to AES/EBU adapter

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right but coax can be passively converted to AES/EBU.

Edit: not entirely sure about this.
It absolutely can. Unit below requires a RCA to BNC adaptor in addition unless your coax is terminated in BNC.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Because of the "all digital" setup I'm planning for my system, I feel that an "all digital" source selection and volume control is required here.
I have ordered 2 X 7360A Genelec subwoofers to go with my 8341A's which, as far as I'm aware, work best with an AES/EBU connection linking them all together.

After looking at all the advice given on this thread, I feel the RME ADI2 pro is the best solution pound for pound.

I'm going to be building a "media wall" in the new year and need a solid and reliable unit to control everything. The RME has a proven track record for setting and forgetting. As a bonus, the harmony remote will pair with the RME very well.

I do realise that feeding the genelecs with an unaltered, line level signal is the ideal approach but I am not in a position to do that. I hate the Genelec volume control as it is purely suited to a professional studio environment. In a home environment, compromises have to be made......

I hope you all.agree

Top Bottom