• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ROUTER FOR ROON

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I run a Netgate router/firewall running pfSense as well, with Ubiquiti switches and PoE APs behind it. It’s all rock solid, but it’s not for the average user. If something happened to me, my wife would have no idea how to manage this setup, so I plan to migrate to something simpler in the future - don’t know what that is just yet.
Amplifi is a good migration from pro-grade.

mSpot

I loose connection while streaming ….
However i have an adsl modem connected to my router… there is no other way..
So your internet service is DSL, which may be your problem. What internet speed do you get, and what resolution music are you trying to stream? My neighborhood has very old phone lines, and when I had DSL service years ago, I was only getting a maximum speed of 5 Mbps (often less).

When you use the music streaming app directly (e.g. the desktop or mobile app of Tidal or Qobuz) without Roon, do you still have streaming issues? If you do, the problem is probably the quality of your internet connection. Roon is a special case because it is especially demanding about needing a good local network (e.g. wifi).

BTW, where are you located? There were multiple recommendations for Fritz, but I was surprised that I had never even heard of the brand. It appears to be based in Germany and not sold here in the US (likely not certified by the FCC).

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Using the Ubiquity Edge Router and AP w/ PoE on UPS for five years without one single issue, maybe two reboots during the whole time.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could be, but in six years I never had a quality problem or a need to use support...Just an anecdote.
I haven't seen a high failure rate in deployed product. Typically the products are DOA or fail early on. We have deployed dozens to hundreds of their devices and the failure rate is much higher than the Ruckus devices we typically deploy. Admittedly Ruckus are 10X or more the cost, but a failure is costly if this isn't a hobby.

Decades ago I worked in a reliability lab contracted to stress test component level parts for various government contracts. We knew that most parts fail in the first few hours of operation... typically within 96 - 168 hours. If the parts pasted our testing past burn-in they were sent on to be used by the end users.

Last edited:
OP
G

Georgeadv

So your internet service is DSL, which may be your problem. What internet speed do you get, and what resolution music are you trying to stream? My neighborhood has very old phone lines, and when I had DSL service years ago, I was only getting a maximum speed of 5 Mbps (often less).

When you use the music streaming app directly (e.g. the desktop or mobile app of Tidal or Qobuz) without Roon, do you still have streaming issues? If you do, the problem is probably the quality of your internet connection. Roon is a special case because it is especially demanding about needing a good local network (e.g. wifi).

BTW, where are you located? There were multiple recommendations for Fritz, but I was surprised that I had never even heard of the brand. It appears to be based in Germany and not sold here in the US (likely not certified by the FCC).
I am getting 3mbs
I am having issues streaming tidal high res…

staticV3

Master Contributor
Guys the amplifi routers dont have wifi6?
Ubiquiti has five Access Points with WiFi6 support (and one with 6E):
Screenshot 2022-12-25 at 22.00.14.png

But yeah, Ubiquiti routers don't have any WiFi. Not 4, 5, or 6. They're just routers. If you want WiFi, Ubiquiti sells access points that you plug into the router.

evert

I've been working as a network engineer for 12 years, and I'm impressed by the robust and simple solution that Omada provides.

OP
G

Georgeadv

View attachment 252354

But yeah, Ubiquiti routers don't have any WiFi. Not 4, 5, or 6. They're just routers. If you want WiFi, Ubiquiti sells access points that you plug into the router.
I think that takes it out of my budget….

How about this

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 252354

The AMPLIFI line has Wi-Fi-routers.

mSpot

I am getting 3mbs
I am having issues streaming tidal high res…
3 Mbps is quite low, and the quality can fluctuate. At times, the speed might drop low enough to interrupt the streaming. Are you having issues when running the Tidal app (without Roon)? If that is the case, I think the fundamental problem is that your internet connection isn't sufficiently fast or reliable enough, and upgrading your router won't help.

I also want to make a clarification. Tidal "high res" is an MQA encoded file streamed at CD-like quality (44.1 or 48 kHz), and doesn't become "hi-res" until it is decoded in your local player or DAC. In other words, you are having issues streaming CD quality (which would not be a surprise at 3 Mbps).

OP
G

Georgeadv

3 Mbps is quite low, and the quality can fluctuate. At times, the speed might drop low enough to interrupt the streaming. Are you having issues when running the Tidal app (without Roon)? If that is the case, I think the fundamental problem is that your internet connection isn't sufficiently fast or reliable enough, and upgrading your router won't help.

I also want to make a clarification. Tidal "high res" is an MQA encoded file streamed at CD-like quality (44.1 or 48 kHz), and doesn't become "hi-res" until it is decoded in your local player or DAC. In other words, you are having issues streaming CD quality (which would not be a surprise at 3 Mbps).
Sorry 30mbs !! My mistake

mSpot

Sorry 30mbs !! My mistake
Ok, that makes a big difference!

Can you describe your current configuration in more detail? You haven't said whether you are currently running Roon or the Tidal app directly. Roon strongly recommends that the Roon core be connected to the router by wired Ethernet (not wifi). Does your router have an Ethernet port available?

OP
G

Georgeadv

Ok, that makes a big difference!

Can you describe your current configuration in more detail? You haven't said whether you are currently running Roon or the Tidal app directly. Roon strongly recommends that the Roon core be connected to the router by wired Ethernet (not wifi). Does your router have an Ethernet port available?
I have the adsl modem directly connected to the router which is connected to hegel h190

I use a mac as a roon core

Using tidal directly either by playing on a homepod mini or on my mobile phone or through roon to my headphones and hegelamp

Thank you

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
View attachment 252354

The Unifi Dream Machine is a router with an integrated wifi ap. I used to own it (I've moved to pfSense with Unifi aps since). The Unifi Dream Router seems also to include a wifi access point (ap).

They have a weird form factor though.

Top Bottom