• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ROUTER FOR ROON

Georgeadv

Hello guys,

would you be so kind to recommend a new router for Roon?

I have couple of smart lights but otherwise ordinary

my current connection is ads and I am using a modem provided by my isp connected router that I have which however regularly drops connection. its an asus

I would prefer it to be wifi6 and somewhat budget not more that 200, if possible

thank you

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Ubiquiti equipment. The pro-grade stuff (unifi) in one house, consumer in the other (amplifi). Both work great, and the latter is super-easy to setup and administer (not so much the pro-grade stuff). When I first installed it (about 6 years ago), I was so impressed I bought a double-weight of stock.

Budget buster, but lasted longer than any other wifi equipment I’ve owned, and still going.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BeeKay

Fritz! again ^^

Last edited:

BeeKay

mrbungle

Very happy with my Netgate box. I use Netgear Orbi in bridge mode for WiFi without major issues, but would probably in hindsight also use Ubiquity access points for that. Allows you for example to put all your IOT devices on an isolated network.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Mikrotik (Fritz before the Mikrotik). The Mikrotik requires you understand networking, but is infinitely flexible as a result.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My cyber-monk sons like Pfsense. Open source, so you can integrate things like pi-hole, TrueNAS, and Tailscale.

I would still recommend ubiquiti WAPs with that.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I run pfsense router on a fanless pc. I'm too tight to buy Ubiquiti WAPs, I have 2 Asus RT-AX53 routers and my old Asus RT-AC86U running in AP only more forming an AiMesh network (with wired backhaul for all APs). The pair of AX53's cost me less than a single Ubiquiti WiFi 6 AP.

@Georgeadv I've been running Asus routers for years and they've always worked well. When you say the router drops the connection, what exactly do you mean (the connection to your modem, from your PC, wired or wireless, etc.). There are things that can affect your wireless connection that changing the router won't fix (like interference from microwave ovens).

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My cyber-monk sons like Pfsense. Open source, so you can integrate things like pi-hole, TrueNAS, and Tailscale.

I would still recommend ubiquiti WAPs with that.

I would (and do!) run pfBlocker-ng on pfsense, rather than integrate with pi-hole. pfBlocker-ng creates firewall rules based on blacklists rather than just trying to black hole the DNS requests like pi-hole (which can be circumvented by changing the DNS on a client)

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ubiquiti is quite decent in performance and very reasonably priced but their QC is terrible and tech support is painful.

OP
G

Georgeadv

I run pfsense router on a fanless pc. I'm too tight to buy Ubiquiti WAPs, I have 2 Asus RT-AX53 routers and my old Asus RT-AC86U running in AP only more forming an AiMesh network (with wired backhaul for all APs). The pair of AX53's cost me less than a single Ubiquiti WiFi 6 AP.

@Georgeadv I've been running Asus routers for years and they've always worked well. When you say the router drops the connection, what exactly do you mean (the connection to your modem, from your PC, wired or wireless, etc.). There are things that can affect your wireless connection that changing the router won't fix (like interference from microwave ovens).
I loose connection while streaming ….
However i have an adsl modem connected to my router… there is no other way..

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I run pfsense router on a fanless pc. I'm too tight to buy Ubiquiti WAPs, I have 2 Asus RT-AX53 routers and my old Asus RT-AC86U
Look, if you don't have the ears, or the money, to be able to tell the difference between the bespoke Ubiquiti gear and that chi-fi crap, I can't help you. I mean, just look at their ad copy! These guys are serious engineers, who are you? Ubiquiti and other high-end wifi has slam and refinement. You always get cleaner, more musical, and airier wifi when you invest more money. But you troglodytes wouldn't know a quality wi-fi signal if it hit you in the face.

(this is a joke, lest anyone not get it)

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ubiquiti is quite decent in performance and very reasonably priced but their QC is terrible and tech support is painful.
Could be, but in six years I never had a quality problem or a need to use support...Just an anecdote.

groovybassist

Forum Donor
I run a Netgate router/firewall running pfSense as well, with Ubiquiti switches and PoE APs behind it. It’s all rock solid, but it’s not for the average user. If something happened to me, my wife would have no idea how to manage this setup, so I plan to migrate to something simpler in the future - don’t know what that is just yet.

Top Bottom