• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz NR1510 AVR Review

Rate this AVR:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 221 81.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 41 15.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

raindance

Major Contributor
Plus, presented with typical home theater content, the unit is transparent enough that you can hear all the crappy mastering decisions just fine (extra loud sound effects, extra soft speech) along with all the overblown bass effects. Content matters! No one has measured the SINAD of a Roku have they?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Plus, presented with typical home theater content, the unit is transparent enough that you can hear all the crappy mastering decisions just fine (extra loud sound effects, extra soft speech) along with all the overblown bass effects. Content matters! No one has measured the SINAD of a Roku have they?
That is a poor excuse. If the source is bad it shouldn't matter, the system should not add or detract anything, no matter the source's quality.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The point is also to make judgements of other amplifiers. The analogue amp of NR1608 was measured with THD -92 dB and noise of -103 dB at 5W. The analogue pre output of the NR1710 had THD of -100 dB or lower. I have no idea why the NR1510 in this test shows way more THD. But clearly the various results require explanation, as this is ASR.
The easiest explanation is that the products are different. We have two “flagship” slim line receivers with good measurements and one entry level slim line with poor, but meets Arcam levels of quality.

If we look at Audio.com.pl, which normally has really high THD+N measurements (maybe their test setup isn’t as good as the APx555), the NR1510 does worse than the older 1605. (Again the NR16xx is now the NR17xx).

NR1510
1671780716039.jpeg

Versus the NR1605
1671780757068.jpeg

By way of comparison, their Model 40n
1671781036788.jpeg

And stereophiles Model 40n
1671781177858.jpeg

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The easiest explanation is that the products are different. We have two “flagship” slim line receivers with good measurements and one entry level slim line with poor, but meets Arcam levels of quality.

If we look at Audio.com.pl, which normally has really high THD+N measurements (maybe their test setup isn’t as good as the APx555), the NR1510 does worse than the older 1605. (Again the NR16xx is now the NR17xx).

NR1510
View attachment 251951

Versus the NR1605
View attachment 251952
By way of comparison, their Model 40n
View attachment 251953
And stereophiles Model 40n
View attachment 251956
Looks like there is one decimalplace difference beteeen Stereophile and the Polish site. Otherwise the 8 ohm results is quite similar between the Marantz units. The 4 ohm differs.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like there is one decimalplace difference beteeen Stereophile and the Polish site. Otherwise the 8 ohm results is quite similar between the Marantz units. The 4 ohm differs.
Yeah, and that would explain the poor showing by this unit. With 8 ohm speakers, the NR1510 probably is considerably better.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't trust that site's measurements. They measured a lot of gear, and those graphs typically look too similar, even between products that I expected more differences based on their specs and measurements by other sites. They also don't say much, if any, about how they tested (standards, methodology, test conditions etc.) and the instruments they used. Or they did provide such information, and I just didn't see them for some reasons.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't trust that site's measurements. They measured a lot of gear, and those graphs typically look too similar, even between products that I expected more differences based on their specs and measurements by other sites. They also don't say much, if any, about how they tested (standards, methodology, test conditions etc.) and the instruments they used. Or they did provide such information, and I just didn't see them for some reasons.

That just means that their equipment is noisy (which affects the THD+N values at lower powers).
1671981799458.jpeg

If you look at Audio.com.pl’s Accuphase P7300 measurements you can see the cliff where their test gear noise starts to get better. This is the measuring artifacts. You cannot read much into the first 10 watts for their measurmement and the horizontal line above 30W shows you the distortion limit of their analyzer.

So it’s not about trust. It’s just about making sure you have apple to apples comparisons. Even with Audio.com.pl’s lower quality test instrumentation, the 4 ohm performance of the 1510 is notably worse than the performance of their older 1605 they measured.

D

Deleted member 4708

This product was an effort of the accounting department. Sadly they left the engineers out.
On one hand we have the low quality brands like SMSL/miniDSP/Topping producing unreliable devices that measure well (the ones sent to Amir) with 0 features then we have products like Marantz NR 1510 with tons of features and poor measurements.
Luckily there are a few companies can do both - RME/UAD/MOTU/Antelope/

Vacceo

Major Contributor
This product was an effort of the accounting department. Sadly they left the engineers out.
On one hand we have the low quality brands like SMSL/miniDSP/Topping producing unreliable devices that measure well (the ones sent to Amir) with 0 features then we have products like Marantz NR 1510 with tons of features and poor measurements.
Luckily there are a few companies can do both - RME/UAD/MOTU/Antelope/
And none seems to be creating a good AVR.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That just means that their equipment is noisy (which affects the THD+N values at lower powers).
View attachment 252315

If you look at Audio.com.pl’s Accuphase P7300 measurements you can see the cliff where their test gear noise starts to get better. This is the measuring artifacts. You cannot read much into the first 10 watts for their measurmement and the horizontal line above 30W shows you the distortion limit of their analyzer.

So it’s not about trust. It’s just about making sure you have apple to apples comparisons. Even with Audio.com.pl’s lower quality test instrumentation, the 4 ohm performance of the 1510 is notably worse than the performance of their older 1605 they measured.

Point taken, but really, same thing, call it what you want, if they don't say what they use, how they measure, what standard, protocol they follow then it is not trustworthy regardless. If you lower the bar, for example, only want to know roughly what the distortion is at output in the >20 W to rated output then okay the numbers may be trustworthy but I would have to spend some time looking at their measurements on a few devices and compare them carefully with other benches such as Audioholics, hometheathifi, and ASR's, before I can comment on that but I don't see the need to look at their test results at the moment.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be interesting to see how music is consumed today. Is it mostly soundbars or wireless earbuds?
Cerebral interface in VR. Get with the times, grandpa.;)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I now have started measuring my old Marantz slim-line model NR1506 pre-out using my tiny and ancient M-Audio Transit USB card. I had some other issues with my portable Macbook Pro (battery change and I also resoldered the VCore GPU due to LCD blackout - and the most irritating, to remake an bootable USB OSX on separate drive since OSX Catalina no longer supports the M-Audio card).

The loop-back of the Transit played from Audacity and recorded in REW. I get -99 dB THD.

Transit loopback full signal.png

Looped back through the NR1506, volume set to around 80. Auto and Pure direct was essentially the same.

NR1506 Analogue in_out_auto.png

As noted there is quite some mains noise, but THD is at the same level as my card, around -99.5 dB. So actual distortion of the analogue pre out is lower.

I've put my optical cable somewhere, but cannot find it at the moment so next test will be the optical in and analogue out to test the DAC. Perhaps tomorrow...

The THD seems however quite a bit lower than the later issue of this unit, NR1510, that Amir measured. I wonder why.

And here is the Toslink in - pre out result. I had to reduce volume here since my card clipped, so it is only 0.8 of 1.0 setting in Audacity and 75 on volume of the Marantz.

NR1506 Toslink in_pre out_auto.png

Somehow these settings increased noise floor and the mains noise. But THD stays around -100 dB, i.e. the same level as the M-Audio Transit sound card. Same result with auto as with pure direct. I do not see the 100 Hz jitter as seen on the 1510 and 1710. See

It seems that distortion increases with increased signal out Toslink; this is volume 0.95 from Audacity.

NR1506 Toslink in_pre out_auto_0_95_out.png

But conclusion is, THD stays quite low even with the DAC playing with the NR1506, as with the 1710, and 1608 shown previously in this tread.

Edit: Just to confirm, I remeasured my NR1710, using Toslink in-pre out, setting 1.0 volume out in Audyssey (below). THD is < -100 dB, but there is 100 Hz PSU jitter, as with the NR1510. Would be interesting to find out what it is that makes the jitter difference.

NR1710_Toslink in_pre out_1_0_out.png

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@GXAlan , what do you think? Certainly the NR1506 was not a "flagship model" and shows way lower THD compared to what Amir measured on the NR1510.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
it would not be surprising if measurements got worse as they bolted on more features

be interesting to see what an early model does.... and the new cinema 70

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@GXAlan , what do you think? Certainly the NR1506 was not a "flagship model" and shows way lower THD compared to what Amir measured on the NR1510.

Very interesting results. Since Audio.com.pl has pretty noisy test gear *and* their 1510 measured worse at 4 ohms that the others, I am wondering if there is a bad generation of ICs or capacitors?

By any metric, the real question is how the Cinema 70s performs. It’s too bad they don’t wont make a slim version of the AV 10 (like the McIntosh MX100 - but with Audyssey app support).

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it would not be surprising if measurements got worse as they bolted on more features

be interesting to see what an early model does.... and the new cinema 70
The NR1710 which I measured show the same low THD as the NR1506. It shares the jitter with 1510 though. I thought the 1506 should behave the same on digitall but no. The 1608 show low THD as well.

So, Amirs result of THD is not typical for these units. Either the unit is broken or there is an error made during measurements. There are suprisingly few comments on this.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very interesting results. Since Audio.com.pl has pretty noisy test gear *and* their 1510 measured worse at 4 ohms that the others, I am wondering if there is a bad generation of ICs or capacitors?

By any metric, the real question is how the Cinema 70s performs. It’s too bad they don’t wont make a slim version of the AV 10 (like the McIntosh MX100 - but with Audyssey app support).
To me it looks more as clipping from Amirs measurements. I can get the same result when overdriving my sound card.

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there devices up to 100€ that would allow me to make the same measurement on a 1609 i have?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there devices up to 100€ that would allow me to make the same measurement on a 1609 i have?
Have not seen anything similar to the Transit USB ADC/DAC. I bought mine for around 40€ 18 years ago. It has analogue in/out, optical in/out. Up to 96 kHz/24 bit one way and 48 kHz/24 bit both ways.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be interesting to see whether the WiFi card position affects jitter and if the 1609 also have 100 Hz jitter. 1609, 1710, 1510 have them in the middle above the main board. 1608 on the side. 1506 do not have it.

Top Bottom