• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
At the moment Focal Elegia at work. At home HD-600, HD-59x jubilee and AKG K845. I have had many others, including HD-800 and HD-700. I seem to like Sennheiser... :)

Veri

Master Contributor
At the moment Focal Elegia at work. At home HD-600, HD-59x jubilee and AKG K845. I have had many others, including HD-800 and HD-700. I seem to like Sennheiser... :)
Cool set-up! How does the Elegia compare to your Sennheisers ? Elegia sounds very enticing the more people seem to gush over it.. :)

TeBheag

A Small Island to the West of Mainland Europe
Hi,

Beyerdynamic DT990Pro 250, mainly used for gaming and classical
Ultrasone Signature Pro, my favourite, works for most genres
Dekoni Blue (bought in a moment of madness, but great for electronica), it's a love/hate relationship...
Sony MDR1000MX3 for travel

I fancy a pair of Senn 6xx's... and maybe some AT's... you can never have too many headphones...

All driven through either Schiit Magni3 or a DIY O2 with Raspberry Pi DACS as source on the desk (Allo/IQaudiO/JustBoom), on the road fed by AK70 or Honor 10 and a Fiio A5. also have a Blue audio V2 valve amp, which works well with the Beyer 990's.

soundwave76

Forum Donor
Cool set-up! How does the Elegia compare to your Sennheisers ? Elegia sounds very enticing the more people seem to gush over it.. :)

Very similar in my opinion to HD-600 and that's why I got it. Also very similar to Oppo PM-3 I had before Elegias. Highly recommended!

Biblob

I just bought AD700 again (non-x). The purple funky looking kind. These are so insanely good for the money lol, very airy and wide, non fatiguing and very comfortable. Could easily just live with these €60-80 headphones and be content :) too bad they're out of production.

How is the bass on those? (compared to AKG K7XX)

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-2/graph#327/2031/370

About the same with K712 but the K7XX has a bit more lows than the AD700.
The AD700 is more 'forward' sounding with more 'clarity/presence' but can have sibilance on some recordings which may bother one person but another one may think it is fine.
Been a while since I heard an AD700 though but left a good impression back then. (audio memory is poor)
Indeed very airy (10kHz peak) and wide stereo image but the wing design did not work for me. Wouldn't sit well on my head.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-2/graph#327/2031/370

About the same with K712 but the K7XX has a bit more lows than the AD700.
The AD700 is more 'forward' sounding with more 'clarity/presence' but can have sibilance on some recordings which may bother one person but another one may think it is fine.
Been a while since I heard an AD700 though but left a good impression back then. (audio memory is poor)
Indeed very airy (10kHz peak) and wide stereo image but the wing design did not work for me. Wouldn't sit well on my head.
Ahh, a shame. I love those wing designs so much :)

headwhacker

Forum Donor
Headphones you say?

Audeze Sine
Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
Audio Technica ATH-MSR7SE
Beyerdynamic T1
Beyerdynamic DT250-80
Blue Lola
Campfire Audio Cascade
Fostex(Massdrop) TH-X00 EB
Grado RS2e
Hifiman HE-6
Koss Porta Pro Classic
Mr Speakers Aeon
Sennheiser HD800
Stax SR-007A
Stax SR-507
Tascam TH-02

My Favorites which I find myself listen the most are HE-6, Aeon and Cascade. I have sold a few over the years. If I need to drop a few headphones in this list I would say the Beyers and the Blue will go first.

Headphones you say?

Audeze Sine
Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
Audio Technica ATH-MSR7SE
Beyerdynamic T1
Beyerdynamic DT250-80
Blue Lola
Campfire Audio Cascade
Fostex(Massdrop) TH-X00 EB
Grado RS2e
Hifiman HE-6
Koss Porta Pro Classic
Mr Speakers Aeon
Sennheiser HD800
Stax SR-007A
Stax SR-507
Tascam TH-02

My Favorites which I find myself listen the most are HE-6, Aeon and Cascade. I have sold a few over the years. If I need to drop a few headphones in this list I would say the Beyers and the Blue will go first.
Do you have the Aeon open or closed? Have you tried the lcd2 classics?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Sony 7506
Sennheiser HD424
Various others around but those are the main ones I use. When I use headphones. Which is rare now that I no longer do recording gigs.

headwhacker

Forum Donor
Do you have the Aeon open or closed? Have you tried the lcd2 classics?
I have the closed. Nope have not tried LCD2.

I tried the original LCD2.2 or the fazor version but I find it too dark. Too much low end and the upper mids and treble rolled off too much.

I think this is common with most Audeze headphones. I have an iSine20 and I can't listen to it without the cipher cable or a decent EQ. I just don't get their stock tuning.

Last edited:

Stein

Not sure if this counts, but I recently acquired a Sony XBA-N3; and I have to say, it's an amazingly smooth and tonally right-sounding IEM

Biblob

Ultrasone HFI-580 (my first ever "hi-fi" prduct I bought :), still going strong but needs some new pads )
AKG-K7XX.

I find the AKG's to be comfortable but they're so big! Sometimes I find that the earcups position change after a period whoch results in changing the highs significantly.
The size of the Ultrasone's is just a little to small for very long periods.

Ideally, the size would be somewhere in between, for my head/ears. YMMV
Been eyeballing the HD58X and/or the HifiMann 4XX. Curious how they compare to the K7xx.

Bliman

Beyerdynamic DT250 250ohm. Very nice. Neutral and detailed. I also love that their bass is fast. It resembles my main system well. Which consists of dynaudio 52se speakers and subwoofer.

billbishere

Audioquest - Nighthawk Carbons
HD58x
Audio Technica - AD700x
Phillips - SHP9500s
Grado - SR60s

Severian

Forum Donor
For many years, my only good headphones were a pair of Grado SR325is. They have their strengths, but I never loved them. I didn't use them much.

I just got a pair of Hifiman HE4XX and absolutely love them. This is much more what I want out of a pair of headphones. These have actually earned a place alongside my speakers. I would like at least one more pair of headphones so I can have one for home and one for the office. I am struggling with whether I should go with the Sennheiser HD6XX and see what the hype is all about, or take another step up the planar magnetic ladder since I love the Hifimans so much.

kman1211

Used to have many more headphones, some more expensive than what I have, trimmed down quite a bit.

Beyerdynamic Amiron Home - A nice relaxing listen with good tonality. One of my favorite headphones and one of the only ones that stood the test of time.
Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 Ohm(modded) - This is something special, it's basically my endgame.

Legion1capone

Zmf classics
Hifiman he400i
Sennheiser hd380 pro
Audio Technica ad700x
Audio Technica ad900x
Tecsun caogen wood headphones
Meze 12 classics
Koss ksc75

Top Bottom