• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L70 Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 9.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 272 85.8%

• Total voters

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I took the plunge, and I’ll be connecting the L70’s RCA inputs to my DX3Pro+ RCA outputs. Next year, hopefully by March, I’ll be able to afford and match it with the Velvet…

… any thoughts on how to best configure the DX3P+?
May I ask why the Velvet?

Last edited:

rarewolf

When I compare the measurements, it seems to me the Velvet is a bit behind the non Velvet version and is more expansive. That's why I was asking.

I cannot imagine purchasing before this spring, so I’ve been waiting for Amir’s tests in these forums. I don’t “listen” to test measurements but I usually begin there, and then to peer listening experiences. Care to share the measurements you speak of?

elole

Are there any disadvantages using this as a preamp to active speakers instead of topping pre90?

hartyewh

Just blew my 789 so I'm thinking between this and Singxer SA-1, which is $100 more. E50 as DAC. Any reason to pay more for the Singxer?

Nordling

Just blew my 789 so I'm thinking between this and Singxer SA-1, which is $100 more. E50 as DAC. Any reason to pay more for the Singxer?
Singxer SA-1 has analog volume control while L70 uses relays. Furthermore: Singxer does not have a display, while L70 does have a large display. Dimensions: Singxer is larger.

Bleib

Major Contributor
I'm thinking of using this as a pre-amp for a poweramp. Is this ohm compatible with either of these?
Plan to use XLR

Nordling

I'm thinking of using this as a pre-amp for a poweramp. Is this ohm compatible with either of these?
Plan to use XLR
Oh yes I think both poweramps are very compatible. If I'm not mistaken, the input impedance is 47k Ohms, while the output impedance of the L70 is 20 Ohms SE and 40 Ohms BAL. This makes an output-input factor of 1175 or greater, which is pretty much perfect. The L70 won't 'see' the poweramps.

cesjr02

I just ordered the Topping L70 to act primarily as a preamp between my Pontus II DAC and powered monitors. (I know, quite the price disparity between the two.) Hopefully it will be a suitable for my needs.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Oh yes I think both poweramps are very compatible. If I'm not mistaken, the input impedance is 47k Ohms, while the output impedance of the L70 is 20 Ohms SE and 40 Ohms BAL. This makes an output-input factor of 1175 or greater, which is pretty much perfect. The L70 won't 'see' the poweramps.
Thanks. Someone can confirm?

Also, checking again. Both SMSL c200 and do100 would work as XLR sources right. Again referring to the ohm debate that has been around some Topping products.

Last edited:

Nordling

@Bleib The 'ohm debate' is mostly about relative low input impedance of for example a preamplifier or amplifier in combination with a relative high output impedance of the connected device. For example the input impedance of the Topping Pre90 is 2k Ohms (Balanced). When connecting a DAC with output impedance of 200 Ohms that would make an output-input factor of only 10 (2000 divided by 200) which is low. You better use a DAC with lower output impedance of preamp with higher input impedance.

About your SMSL DO100 DAC: according to Headfonia the input output impedance of the SMSL DO100 is 100 Ohms. So when connecting this DAC directly to one of your NCore amplifiers with an input impedance of 47k Ohms, that should be no problem because the output-input factor equals to 470 (47000 divided by 100).

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
@Bleib The 'ohm debate' is mostly about relative low input impedance of for example a preamplifier or amplifier in combination with a relative high output impedance of the connected device. For example the input impedance of the Topping Pre90 is 2k Ohms (Balanced). When connecting a DAC with output impedance of 200 Ohms that would make an output-input factor of only 10 (2000 divided by 200) which is low. You better use a DAC with lower output impedance of preamp with higher input impedance.

About your SMSL DO100 DAC: according to Headfonia the input impedance of the SMSL DO100 is 100 Ohms. So when connecting this DAC directly to one of your NCore amplifiers with an input impedance of 47k Ohms, that should be no problem because the output-input factor equals to 470 (47000 divided by 100).
Again thanks. I guess the idea is to go with DAC --> L70 --> poweramp, to get myself ready for more demanding floorstanders.

Last edited:

Zeliya

Nice PCB.
Display simply Led.
Power drivers looks clever. Capacitors ar outside.

Attachments

• L70 PCB.jpg
    L70 PCB.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 395
  • L70 Display.jpg
    L70 Display.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 382
  • L70 AC - DS driver.jpg
    L70 AC - DS driver.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No :facepalm:
This is reflect of flash ))
All those scratches are reflections? :O
1673113209573.png

ps. I opened a lot of different devices for couple of last years, recaped some old LP/CD players and I've never seen any part to be as scratchy as this one.

Top Bottom