• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics DA-S250NC and DAW-S250NC : new integrated amps with DAC (streamer) and Ncore !

Audiophonics

Dealer
The click is normal, it's the mute relay that avoid to get pop noise into speakers. It's related to lock status of the DAC.
When the DAC do no receive digital signal anymore it's switching to unlock, and connect the relay to ground the DAC ouputs.

The relay can be heard near the amplifier, in no case we thought it could be annoying at listening position.
We will look into that, and modify the relay behavior.

Paszek

It appears we have some conflicting information here... can any other users chime in or @Audiophonics to clarify for members? Maybe @Paszek has a fault with their unit?

JSmith
Update on my case. Clicks between tracks do not occur every time. After some observation I concluded that they are related to buffering time before tracks if Wi-Fi/Internet bandwidth is too low for chosen quality (Deezer decides to pause the stream).

Raxumit

The click is normal, it's the mute relay that avoid to get pop noise into speakers. It's related to lock status of the DAC.
When the DAC do no receive digital signal anymore it's switching to unlock, and connect the relay to ground the DAC ouputs.

The relay can be heard near the amplifier, in no case we thought it could be annoying at listening position.
We will look into that, and modify the relay behavior.
Thank you for the explanation.

When do you plan to address this issue? Do you have a specific date that we can plan on?

Will amps you have already shipped be firmware upgradable?

Audiophonics

Dealer
We made a firmware that keep the relay always ON after startup. So the outputs will not be grounded anymore when the DAC is Unlock.
Unit sold from today will be updated with this firmware.
If a customer is annoyed by the relay noise, we suggest him to contact us (open RMA ticket into website account) because the unit must be returned for update.

Bleib

Major Contributor
How is the perfect channel balance achieved? Is it at DAC level cutting away bits or something more sophisticated?

Tengo

Hi!
I wonder if these products can replace my actual DAC, its a Mytec Stereo192 which I use for about 10 years now.
It got a 32 Bit ESS Sabre 9016 DAC Chip

Bleib

Major Contributor
Hi!
I wonder if these products can replace my actual DAC, its a Mytec Stereo192 which I use for about 10 years now.
It got a 32 Bit ESS Sabre 9016 DAC Chip
Yeah, you don't need the older DAC with this one, can't even use it as these are digital in only.

Tengo

Hi!
Yes, of course I can use the Audiophonics instead of my Mytek technically - my question is more about the soundquality.
Alternativly I could aim for an RME DAC and a Audiophonics Ncore Poweramp. The question is always the soundquality.
I only got one musicsource (Win-PC -> Gustard U16)

Bleib

Major Contributor
Hi!
Yes, of course I can use the Audiophonics instead of my Mytek technically - my question is more about the soundquality.
Alternativly I could aim for an RME DAC and a Audiophonics Ncore Poweramp. The question is always the soundquality.
I only got one musicsource (Win-PC -> Gustard U16)
The DAC inside these amps are far better than human hearing even at its peak. It's the least of my concerns

rwr

Question, i'm interested in this package, but would like to connect my TV via HDMI EARC with the amplifier just like someone in this thread. But how can I connect a HDMI extractor (like this one: one). Can I use the RCA pre-out?

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question, i'm interested in this package, but would like to connect my TV via HDMI EARC with the amplifier just like someone in this thread. But how can I connect a HDMI extractor (like this one: one).
IMHO, there would be zero benefit to use eARC through an HDMI extractor (then to S/PDIF)... over the regular S/PDIF optical out straight from your TV.
Can I use the RCA pre-out?
As it is "out" and not "in": Nope. ;)

rwr

Ah, this was a bit confusing to me, but of course it will be input from the amplifier perspective. And if I understand it correctly, then there is no gain, because you can only 'lose' the remote with RCA/3,5mm right - and not with S/PDIF, right?

MCH

Major Contributor
IMHO, there would be zero benefit to use eARC through an HDMI extractor (then to S/PDIF)... over the regular S/PDIF optical out straight from your TV.
As disclaimer, i need to say that all my audio goes through my tv and out of its toslink output and i couldn't be more happy with the result + i would bet a few euros that nobody in this forum could ever hear the difference of that vs an audio extractor.

However.... it has been discussed several times in different threads and some members claim that some tvs do a poor resampling job, some even support the claim with measurements, example:

Post in thread 'Monoprice Blackbird Review (HDMI Audio Extractor)' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-hdmi-audio-extractor.36478/post-1284094

With that in mind, if what rwr wants is to bring the audio from a "hd source" (thinking, for instance, of a fire stick outputting Amazon music hd, only because I know how it works), he could get 192khz/24bit out of a extractor vs 48khz/16bit and a potential crap resampling out of the tv.
I wouldn't give a crap, but I know some people here would....

Raxumit

I've just finished flashing the updated DAC firmware, and the mute relay clicking problem appears to be resolved.

I told Audiophonics that I could likely handle the flashing process in the field, and support provided me with screenshots and a firmware .hex file. I purchased their suggested flasher (what's another $30 flasher?). Everything went smoothly. I can give more details if people need, although I won't share the .hex file without Audiophonics blessing.

Audiophonics support has been professional and prompt. I greatly appreciated being treated like an adult.

20230104_110933.jpg

Videopac

Would it be possible to build in a, let's say, Odroid C4 into a DA-S250NC and use the IIS connection to the ESS9038Q2M DAC?

Raxumit

Would it be possible to build in a, let's say, Odroid C4 into a DA-S250NC and use the IIS connection to the ESS9038Q2M DAC?

It sure does look like it. All the evidence says this is exactly how the Audiphonics streaming amp is doing it.

There's plenty of space in the case:
20230104_104414_cropped.jpg

The pre-drilled holes may not work for you, of course.

IIS is supported as a selectable input, even on mine which is the non-streaming version:

20230106_110348_IIS_Input.jpg

The DAC board appears to be pulling 5V from the Hypex amp. I don't know if there is more than one 5V header on the Audiophonics Hypex breakout board, I'd have to go back in with a multimeter to check. But it seems like a sane assumption you'd figure something out.
20230104_104422_5v_annotated.jpg

Of course, you'd need to add WiFi to the Oroid C4 somehow, unless you planned on drilling into the case to thread a Cat5 wire into there.

Raxumit

And if you run WiFi, you should probably try to share the antenna on the DAC using a U.FL connector, which is apparently what Audiophonics does with theirs:

UFL connector.png

tomaxsas

Pulpitusz

Hi All. Any possibility to have some measurements and review on this? Looks very interesting. Also, would be interested to hear how the software works (for example the Tidal implementation). Many thanks in advance!

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any possibility to have some measurements and review on this?
Yes. Buy one and send it to Amir.;)

Also, would be interested to hear how the software works (for example the Tidal implementation)
Same software as WiiM streamers. You could look at many informations about this ecosystem here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom