• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 256 70.7%

• Total voters

bkjernisted

Will the volume go for example to 90db on both devices. Is there any headroom available at the 3 oclock position.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Will the volume go for example to 90db on both devices. Is there any headroom available at the 3 oclock position.
Can you explain a bit more about what you want to do? In general, the G5 will have absolutely no issues driving any headphones to 90dB listening volume.

staticV3

Master Contributor
There's no SPL limiter when using the G5 with an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy. Whether there's any headroom at 3 o'clock depends on your audio files and on what headphones you use.

bkjernisted

Will it reach 90 db on an iphone or samsung? 90db is loud enough. I don't want to blast out my eardrums. At that volume if there is no distortion, I would be happy. Thanks

SimoF

please let us know how it continous
So I've written about the problem at Topping support and they said that it's not a problem of the problem and I may have a faulty unit.
I've sent the G5 back to the dealer, he tested (but with a 2v input source) and he said that there was no problem. Despite having told him to test with a 5V input. (reading the specs of the G5 the input should be ok up to 5.8Vrms when used in low gain mode).
I've received it back today, I tested and I made a video so everyone can see: https://mega.nz/file/S0QXmBQC#IFDYGV50r2Ii8U-w7LaMJCRCU4qlNeik6um-a0HkAkY

For those of you who didn't followed my previous post the problem is: when used in AUX mode, with a 5V input (I tried even with a 4V input), in low gain, it outputs very distorted and high volume sound while SWITCHED OFF.

As you can see in the video, I used as a test a cheap pair of VeMonk which are not extremely easy to drive (64ohm) and they were nearly fried.

It seems that no one want to admit their faults. If it's really a single unit defect, my congratulations for Topping's QC process, if it's not (as I think), welcome to the L30 Part 2. I'm lucky to not have fried my Focal Utopia.

SimoF

don't want to downplay the fault, but how many people have a 5Vrms, single-ended Line out source?
Who cares?
The specs state 5.8Vrms, The problem arises at 4V too. And the fact that it can output at full volume distorted sound while completely switched off does not concern you? I nearly fried 4000 dollars of headphones.

staticV3

Master Contributor
And the fact that it can output at full volume distorted sound while completely switched off does not concern you?
depends on the actual gain from Line in to Headphone out with the unit Off, if the volume knob is still active when off, and how loading the output affects the signal when off (is it just a passive pass-through when off? does the headphone load the line source's output directly)

SimoF

depends on the actual gain from Line in to Headphone out with the unit Off, if the volume knob is still active when off, and how loading the output affects the signal when off (is it just a passive pass-through when off? does the headphone load the line source's output directly)
No, it doesn't matter. If while switched off an amp can output sound it's a design error. If the input source has a voltage that's compatible and within the limits specified in the spec sheet it's a design error and a lie to the customers. If none of this is true and it's just a faulty unit, how Topping do their QC tests is really worrying (even without considering the past problems with the l30 that everybody knows).

antikryst

does anyone suddenly having issues with windows 11 suddenly not responding to volume control? this gets fixed by restarting windows audio services.

Windows 11... topping G5 windows drivers from the website is what i am running. this just started happening maybe 2 weeks ago... so probably caused by a windows update.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What outputs 5 Vrms via SE LO?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who wrote that I'm talking about a LO? It's the second question like this and it seems that a lot of users can't see the wood for the trees.
How did you send a 4V then a 5V signal through the aux input? the aux input, by definition requires a LO signal. We can certainly see the wood-the unit plays distorted audio when turned off. That's broken for sure. Just curious how you managed to test w/ this input level unless you were testing the device.

SimoF

How did you send a 4V then a 5V signal through the aux input? the aux input, by definition requires a LO signal. We can certainly see the wood-the unit plays distorted audio when turned off. That's broken for sure. Just curious how you managed to test w/ this input level unless you were testing the device.
"The aux input by definition requires a line out signal".
This is not completely true, it depends what you intend for LO.
The line-in of an amp could easily be from another amp if the Vout is below the max Vin of the G5. How I tested is written in the previous post.
IMO a more common use case of a portable amp is to take an input from another portable device (yes, even a smartphone) that is not able to drive you headphones properly. For example, a dongle which is very capable voltage-wise but with very poor current output and you want to use it with low impedance load. Or if the source has a high Zout and your headphones have wide impedance swings. In these cases using an amp between the source and the headphones has a lot of sense. But this is just my personal opinion.

The facts are that when completely powered off with a line in input between the specs the Topping G5 blast full volume distorted music in your ears. You may understand my frustration :/

Last edited:

moshc

I've been enjoying my G5 a lot. They took a while to ship from China and I forgot I had placed orders from two different places because one place was out of stock. So I have a second that just came in. Only opened to make sure everything was ok and not DOA. I'm not going to ship it back to China so if anyone in the US wants a new one shipped from California, msg me. $275 (net to me, add 3% for Paypal). Just msg me.

IMG_2794.jpeg

bkjernisted

Can I equalize the g5 using the equalizer on my samsung android phone and equalize it with the dolby atmos addon on my pc computer? Will the dolby atmos also work, the dolby atmos fom my phone and from the dolby atmos addon on my pc computer? Thanks

bkjernisted

John, I am not sure the dolby atmos addon Equalizer is parametric. Are you sure the one on my phone and on Windows is parametric. Do you want me to send pictures of the interface. Does this amp have any equalizer settings itself. I equalize my d50s and a50s with my samsung phone. It works fine in this case. Thanks John for the quick reply.

Top Bottom