• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best effort room and audio system build

OP
B

Bugal1998

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Where is the centre M2, behind the screen?

Nowhere, yet.

It will be installed in the future. The area where the center channel sits will be hinged to open and reveal the center channel and associated absorbtion. I have a plan to make it very clean so it doesn't spoil the appearance of the front wall during 2-channel listening.

That also means the front wall wash lighting will need to be mounted on the ceiling behind the screen case.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nowhere, yet.

It will be installed in the future. The area where the center channel sits will be hinged to open and reveal the center channel and associated absorbtion. I have a plan to make it very clean so it doesn't spoil the appearance of the front wall during 2-channel listening.

That also means the front wall wash lighting will need to be mounted on the ceiling behind the screen case.
So the centre channel speaker will be behind the screen? What screen you are/will be using?

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
So the centre channel speaker will be behind the screen? What screen you are/will be using?
Correct. Retractable Stewart Studiotek 130G4 with Microperf

binlove

This is just fabulous. I’ve also engaged Nyal, though for a less ambitious project and we don’t get started until January. Seeing this really gets me excited about what might be possible though!

I’ll be optimizing an existing room that is used for office and listening (constraint: no construction or open walls without strong justification). The goal is to make the most of this space with a reasonable outlay.

Down the road we plan to expand the house to make more space and a dedicated, designed and built for purpose room would be on the table at that time.

Did you do the aesthetic planning and interior design yourself, or did you have someone help with that as well?

Looks fantastic. I hope it brings you years of joy!

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
This is just fabulous. I’ve also engaged Nyal, though for a less ambitious project and we don’t get started until January. Seeing this really gets me excited about what might be possible though!

I’ll be optimizing an existing room that is used for office and listening (constraint: no construction or open walls without strong justification). The goal is to make the most of this space with a reasonable outlay.

Down the road we plan to expand the house to make more space and a dedicated, designed and built for purpose room would be on the table at that time.

Did you do the aesthetic planning and interior design yourself, or did you have someone help with that as well?

Looks fantastic. I hope it brings you years of joy!
Thanks for the kind words, and best wishes with your project!

No professional help on the anesthetics, aside from Nyal's suggestion of side wall and ceiling tape light, and the wash lighting in the middle of the front wall.

The brick, decision to leave the wood and rear diffusors exposed was me, as was adding the wood to the side of the stage. The rest of the wash lighting was me. The speaker color was my wife, and I just had to figure out how to make it work, LOL.

FeddyLost

What is current room noise floor?
What are crossover frequencies?
Also would be interesting to see distortion measurement at LP with intended SPL. With such equipment you'll have some headphones' numbers.

Todd k

Forum Donor
That is fricking awesome. Looks even better with the lights on. I suppose with the right mood enhancers and proper music the soft lighting could be very very beneficial. I want to visit your room

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First congratulations
Second ...
Be warned ! you are on my Hate List. High up there... Very very high !::mad:

Multiple Wow!

Enjoy this wonderful system. You may not be able to do much else but to enjoy it. No fiddling...

Peace.

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
What is current room noise floor?
What are crossover frequencies?
Also would be interesting to see distortion measurement at LP with intended SPL. With such equipment you'll have some headphones' numbers.

I'll measure the noise floor once the door seals are installed in the coming days/weeks. Hopefully the microphone is quiet enough to measure it accurately.

Same for distortion at MLP.

Crossover from infra-sub to main subs is 20hz, with the main subs high passed at 25hz. I set the Infra-sub delay to maximize amplitude response at the crossover frequency. Still need to fine tune the integration but it's working well enough as-is. Main subs to M2s are crossed at 80hz.

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
First congratulations
Second ...
Be warned ! you are on my Hate List. High up there... Very very high !::mad:

Multiple Wow!

Enjoy this wonderful system. You may not be able to do much else but to enjoy it. No fiddling...

Peace.
Thanks so much, FrantzM!

It was literally 58 months (but who's counting?!) of researching, auditioning, planning, searching for used equipment, the right deals, etc., to make it happen.

Once Multi-sub Optimization is complete and I'm satisfied with the room curve and Trinnov settings, I'm done (until I add surround sound and a projection system). The whole idea was to stop fiddling and start enjoying.

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
That is fricking awesome. Looks even better with the lights on. I suppose with the right mood enhancers and proper music the soft lighting could be very very beneficial. I want to visit your room
:)

FeddyLost

Crossover from infra-sub to main subs is 20hz, with the main subs high passed at 25hz. I set the Infra-sub delay to maximize amplitude response at the crossover frequency. Still need to fine tune the integration but it's working well enough as-is. Main subs to M2s are crossed at 80hz.
According to your messages, you are more "bang-for-buck" oriented than CNO.
Have you ever tried to compare correctly if your infrasonic system is beneficial at real non-movie material?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's one hell of a Hi Fi my friend.
I'm jealous in the extreme. ;)

Adi777

Certainly, it can be more expensive, but is it audibly better? For me this system is cosmos :)

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
According to your messages, you are more "bang-for-buck" oriented than CNO.
Correct, I was NOT on a CNO path, but I WAS willing to pay what it took to have a world-class/reference level system (see my priorities in first post). I'm also not seeking bang-for-the-buck, per se, though I am 100% in favor of not paying extra for gear offering inaudible improvements.

Said another way, I could ask what specific gear should be replaced to have a clearly and significantly superior sounding system against the priorities I outlined? I honestly have no idea...

Adi777

Correct, I was NOT on a CNO path, but I WAS willing to pay what it took to have a world-class/reference level system (see my priorities in first post). I'm also not seeking bang-for-the-buck, per se, though I am 100% in favor of not paying extra for gear offering inaudible improvements.

Said another way, I could ask what specific gear should be replaced to have a clearly and significantly superior sounding system against the priorities I outlined? I honestly have no idea...
Hmm, what about JBL Synthesis SCL-1?
Maybe Meyer Sound, Wisdom Audio, Procella? Maybe yes, maybe no ;)

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Have you ever tried to compare correctly if your infrasonic system is beneficial at real non-movie material?
Of course!
Though I don’t know what you consider "real" non-movie material. However, the infra-sub is clearly beneficial on tracks with sub-bass frequencies, including a number of live tracks.

Without exception, every person who has heard the system has had the strongest reaction to moments when the infra-sub was in use; the only moments one of my guests reported chills also happened to be when the infra-sub quicked in. Needless to say, I disagree with those that say infra-sonics aren't beneficial. I do agree, however, that those moments in music are rare.

Last edited:
Top Bottom