• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on bookshelf speakers with a particular set of space constraints.

orv

This website is where I learned about the Infinity r162s that I bought two years ago and am very happy with so I thought I would seek advice here. I am currently researching speakers for my sister and brother-in-law who asked for help because they are busier right now than I am. They have a very small living room and only one place to put the speakers. They need to be able to put their speakers on an open backed, open sided bookshelf on the same shelf as the 17" wide receiver (a Sony STR-6036a that my mother originally purchased in the 1970s). The bookshelf is about 8" from the wall behind it. The receiver is rated at 15 watts RMS into eight ohms (less than .8% THD) and 28 watts peak into eight ohms. Into four ohms it claims a peak of 35 watts per channel. My brother-in-law measured the shelf as 12" deep, 31.5" wide, and 10.5" high. So each speaker needs to be no more than 7.25" wide. They may be able to adjust the bookshelf position to free up some height but I am not sure how much. In metric the constraints are 304mm deep, 184mm wide, and 266mm high or maybe a bit more than that if they move the shelf. They are looking to spend $200-300 US. They live in Boston so they might be able to hear some brands before they buy.

It is hard to find reviews of speakers that fit and those that have been measured tend to do poorly (e.g. PSB Alpha P3). If I made a recommendation with the research I have done so far it would be the Cambridge Audio SX-50 (currently $200 and 6.375"x8.9"x9.6875") if they can't get more height. If they can get a little more height then I would recommend either the Emotiva Airmotive B1+ ($222 and 7.125"x10.75"x8.25") or the Kef Q150 ($300 and 7.08"x12.08"x10.94") depending on whether the latter would fit. Does anyone have experience comparing these speakers or a different recommendation?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Whatever they end up with, make sure that the position the speakers is such that the front of the speakers is level with the front of the bookshelf.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @orv ! Welcome to ASR.

Do the speakers have to to be passive and be powered by that ancient receiver? Or world active speakers that come with their own, built-in Amps be fine as well?

OP
O

orv

I don't think they have objections to the idea of active speakers although they do like the looks of the receiver and would keep it for the tuner even if they went active. The receiver has a line out but not a pre-out so the active speakers would need to do the volume control. I should note that the bookshelf is quite close to one end of the couch so I suspect they would need something without much hiss.

areinert

Hmm. That’s a tough space constraint and budget. If they are fine buying used, older Paradigm Atoms from the 90s and early 2000s were actually excellent speakers and would likely fit. V2s and V3s are pretty similar and could be had in good condition for probably $150. See here: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/paradigm_atom/
I would also recommend Audio Proz in Watertown Mass. The owner reconditions and sells older gear for fair prices, very knowledgeable guy.

YSC

Major Contributor
This website is where I learned about the Infinity r162s that I bought two years ago and am very happy with so I thought I would seek advice here. I am currently researching speakers for my sister and brother-in-law who asked for help because they are busier right now than I am. They have a very small living room and only one place to put the speakers. They need to be able to put their speakers on an open backed, open sided bookshelf on the same shelf as the 17" wide receiver (a Sony STR-6036a that my mother originally purchased in the 1970s). The bookshelf is about 8" from the wall behind it. The receiver is rated at 15 watts RMS into eight ohms (less than .8% THD) and 28 watts peak into eight ohms. Into four ohms it claims a peak of 35 watts per channel. My brother-in-law measured the shelf as 12" deep, 31.5" wide, and 10.5" high. So each speaker needs to be no more than 7.25" wide. They may be able to adjust the bookshelf position to free up some height but I am not sure how much. In metric the constraints are 304mm deep, 184mm wide, and 266mm high or maybe a bit more than that if they move the shelf. They are looking to spend $200-300 US. They live in Boston so they might be able to hear some brands before they buy.

It is hard to find reviews of speakers that fit and those that have been measured tend to do poorly (e.g. PSB Alpha P3). If I made a recommendation with the research I have done so far it would be the Cambridge Audio SX-50 (currently $200 and 6.375"x8.9"x9.6875") if they can't get more height. If they can get a little more height then I would recommend either the Emotiva Airmotive B1+ ($222 and 7.125"x10.75"x8.25") or the Kef Q150 ($300 and 7.08"x12.08"x10.94") depending on whether the latter would fit. Does anyone have experience comparing these speakers or a different recommendation?
the space is pretty congested... a quick look at Thomann maybe the KRK Rokit RO5 G4 would fit and measures pretty well

OP
O

orv

the space is pretty congested... a quick look at Thomann maybe the KRK Rokit RO5 G4 would fit and measures pretty well
Unfortunately that looks to be about a quarter inch too wide. An Adam T5V might fit and Thomann has them for $300 a pair.

Last edited:

areinert

I have only seen subjective reviews that were positive, but Kanto YU series look like they would fit the space constraints. You might see if any objective measurements or reviews are out there.

OP
O

orv

It looks like the Adam T5V has separate level knobs on each speaker which would be kind of a pain for adjusting volume.
The $300 powered Kanto YU with the 4" woofer was tested here and looks like it needs EQ which they wouldn't get from the radio tuner on the receiver.

Greg P

Hmm. That’s a tough space constraint and budget. If they are fine buying used, older Paradigm Atoms from the 90s and early 2000s were actually excellent speakers and would likely fit. V2s and V3s are pretty similar and could be had in good condition for probably $150. See here: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/paradigm_atom/
I would also recommend Audio Proz in Watertown Mass. The owner reconditions and sells older gear for fair prices, very knowledgeable guy.
I have a (actually, 2) pair of those, if you are interested.

OP
O

orv

I don't know if they are interested in used speakers. I should check with them tomorrow.

YSC

Major Contributor
Unfortunately that looks to be about a quarter inch too wide. An Adam T5V might fit and Thomann has them for $300 a pair.
originally I wanted to recommend the T5V but it seems the space won't let it fit with enough clearance for the ports

OP
O

orv

Not much with a front facing port is going to fit, so port clearance issues are going to apply to a lot of candidates. I suppose they could add an inexpensive passive volume control between the receiver and a pair of powered speakers (like the Solupeak RC-11 reviewed here in June).

YSC

Major Contributor
Not much with a front facing port is going to fit, so port clearance issues are going to apply to a lot of candidates. I suppose they could add an inexpensive passive volume control between the receiver and a pair of powered speakers (like the Solupeak RC-11 reviewed here in June).
for T5V I am afraid it's not volume control issue where an external device can do, but it actually don't have enough space for port to breath, and it don't have auto standy so going all day on didn't sound like a good idea. for the space actually the smaller 4" candidates or some really small 5", say LYD-5, Genelec 8020, Neumann KH80, or on the cheap side Fostex PM0.4 should do, the fostex have auto standby also, but then I am afraid for 4" alone they won't have enough volume sitting say, 3m from the speakers

OP
O

orv

Genelec and Neumann have great reputations but start at more than double the range they seem to be looking in price wise.

Top Bottom