• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What IEMs do you consider significantly better than the beloved Truthear Zero IEMs?

sq225917

Major Contributor
There's too much bias put on raw FR and conformance to a target eq. I want a good low distortion iem with fast settling time and good impulse response as well as easy to handle and offering good fit.

The 'who matches the curve best' game is dull, it only tells you broad strokes.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
FWIW, a key part of the Harman target for IEMs sounds exactly the way it looks to me: the broad peak centered near 3kHz, taken to that extreme, sounds like obvious and unpleasant coloration. I don't how how they came up with that.

I have some Truthear Zeros, and they're a big bang for the buck if you can EQ them, but I like my various Etymotics better, though their fit is tight and fatiguing. Ideally, even Etymotics need a little less 3kHz boost, for me.

Last edited:

GaryH

Major Contributor
I don't believe I said that it does. If I was unclear, I meant to say that I'm not crazy about the Truthear Zero OR the Harman IEM curve.
So what IEMs stock or if EQed what EQ did you use to judge the Harman IEM target?

DavidMcRoy

So what IEMs stock or if EQed what EQ did you use to judge the Harman IEM target?
I simply reduce the peak around 3kHz in the offending device a few dB. I think it's way overdone, making voices sound uniformly nasal in quality.

GaryH

Major Contributor
I simply reduce the peak around 3kHz in the offending device a few dB. I think it's way overdone, making voices sound uniformly nasal in quality.
What exact PEQ parameters did you use for the Truthear Zero for example (dB, Q-value and centre frequency)?

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm quite new to IEMs and like some of you I begin my journey from truthear zero, 70 dollar IEMs that I really like. I was just wondering where to go next. As I find using IEMs can be very convenient in work and life so I've decided to increase my number of IEMs within reach. I bought some Chinese brand IEMs but I can't get much difference from my zeros with EQ.

By "go next" I mean to buy a new pair of IEMs, which can be "significantly better" than Truthear Zero. I'd go with a quite wide budget of less than 2000 USD/EUR. I'd really love to know if I can get some real improvements from other brands. If it's just a little bit better or just going different in the preference of measured FR like the new Chinese IEMs I bought after the zero then I'll not bother, better to EQ my existed IEMs instead for free then. Thank you!
many swear that the 64audio IEMs are 'special'. Never heard one but looks like you have the budget to try and tell us :)

alekksander

Ideally, evean Etymotics need a little less 3kHz boost, for me.
completely agree on this one. as er3se user i have to admit that lowering 2-3db on 2.6-3.0khz peak actually fixes them. not that it's unbearable as is, but with eq it stops being (acoustically) fatiguing over time (begins in about 1h for me). by the way, physically they can be a real pain (really, like parts of your head start to ache you never felt before, and i dont mean inner ear), but once found how to wear them discomfort is only mild and stops being a problem.

DavidMcRoy

I'm talking about the EQ you used on them to take them to the Harman target in order to judge the latter.
The curve I wrote would probably satisfy me in terms of a "correction" of the Harman curve itself. The Truthear Zero needs about a 6.5dB reduction vs. 5dB.

Last edited:

GaryH

Major Contributor
The curve I wrote would probably satisfy me in terms of a "correction" of the Harman curve itself. The Truthear Zero needs about a 6.5dB reduction vs. 5dB.
Very few people would find that almost complete lack of ear gain natural / preferred:
graph-27.png

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Try the other Zero, the 7Hz Salnotes Zero. Less pinna gain and even cheaper at 20 usd.

One can also try EQing the Truthears Zero to the 7Hz Salnotes Zero response and listen if the FR would be preferable.

redeyes

I make iems, here is my latest one I call Eru, and it's not for sale since I don't want to spend 50k to get Chinese manufactures to make them.

1672068507971.png

alekksander

I make iems, here is my latest one I call Eru, and it's not for sale since I don't want to spend 50k to get Chinese manufactures to make them.

View attachment 252461
mass production is not necessary iem not for sale. i'm considering making few iems as well. perhaps there should be another thread on asr to cover diy iem topic.

redeyes

It is if i want a metal shell. I guess I could make resin but there are a lot of things I would have to invest in.

Top Bottom