• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Streamc

Replacing a blown fuse with a less sensitive one without knowing why it blew is not a good idea.

The manufacturer put that specific fuse into the device for a reason and you don’t know if it’s safe to replace it with something less sensitive.
Maybe you right. It is logical. I do not want to sent it back to Ali and wait. Manufacturer (not seller) wrote to me to change the fuse. Funny. I do not like it. But that the way.
And their support does not answer now after I ask them how can I change it. I just push holder more and it was opened.

SashaR

Sure , first of all I am not a Tidal subscriber I just happen to have songs in their Master quality from Tidal. For example I have this lovely track played on UAPP on my phone and it's working fine with Bit perfect mode set to On.
Please tell me HOW did you get the MQA file "from" TIDAL? How did you (or whoever gave you this file) manage to "take" it out of TIDAL while keeping the MQA contents of the flac file intact? Thank you in advance for the help!

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
I have been wanting one of these and the November sale makes it easier…but why can’t these high end decks have advance to the next track (next) with the remote like my pre Box by Project…such a great and simple feature . Come on toppings. Help me out here.

SashaR

I have been wanting one of these and the November sale makes it easier…but why can’t these high end decks have advance to the next track (next) with the remote like my pre Box by Project…such a great and simple feature . Come on toppings. Help me out here.
Another question should be: why is there no "MQA tracks ONLY" MODE - that would prevent stuttering when playing MQA ALBUMS! In cases where the music is in two adjacent tracks WITHOUT silence at the beginning of the track (as is often the case with Classical Albums), the MQA-Album is IMPOSSIBLE TO LISTEN DUE TO STUTTERING AND LOSS OF MUSIC AT THE BEGINNING OF THESE TRACKS! As an example: 38 and 39 tracks in this album - https://tidal.com/browse/album/208656627

auronthas

Hi, sorry that I can't locate Topping D90 (AKM DAC) version) thread. Want to ask if this D90 support DoP? If not, what is the point having IIS input on this D90?

Veri

Master Contributor
Want to ask if this D90 support DoP? If not, what is the point having IIS input on this D90?
What exactly do DoP and I2S have to do with each other? Why couldn't you send 'native' DSD, instead of DSD over PCM?

auronthas

What exactly do DoP and I2S have to do with each other? Why couldn't you send 'native' DSD, instead of DSD over PCM?

I afraid my Bluray/SACD X800M2 player unable to send native DSD via HDMI/IIS extractor to D90... I read AKM 4499 DAC does not support DoP, is it true ?

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
It’s not true. All versions of the D90 support DoP up to DSD256 – over USB.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I²S should do DoP up to DSD256 and native DSD512 too.(if that connector is I²S)

I believe the D90 does it only over USB, whereas the D90SE/LE also support DoP over I2S. I think that’s because when using USB it’s the XMOS chip that‘s doing the DoP processing, and I2S goes to the DAC chip directly?

Sokel

Master Contributor
I believe the D90 does it only over USB, whereas the D90SE/LE also support DoP over I2S. I think that’s because when using USB it’s the XMOS chip that‘s doing the DoP processing, and I2S goes to the DAC chip directly?
Your probably right,I thought out friend was talking about the DAC reviewed in this thread.
(I was talking about I²S's in general).

Roland68

Major Contributor
Both D90, non MQA and MQA versions support PCM files up to 32bit 768kHz and DSD up to DSD512 via USB and I2S.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-14 um 13.06.27.png

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Both D90, non MQA and MQA versions support PCM files up to 32bit 768kHz and DSD up to DSD512 via USB and I2S.

I believe what @auronthas was specifically asking about is DoP support via I2S.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi, sorry that I can't locate Topping D90 (AKM DAC) version) thread. Want to ask if this D90 support DoP? If not, what is the point having IIS input on this D90?
I2S and AES are not very familiar as connection methods for consumer audio equipment, but they are standards that are often used in professional audio equipment such as stages and studios. Technically, it is a similar standard to S/PDIF for OPT/COAX connections.

Attachments

• D90SE & D90LE Dop.png
    D90SE & D90LE Dop.png
    303.7 KB · Views: 64

Sokel

Master Contributor
I2S and AES are not very familiar as connection methods for consumer audio equipment, but they are standards that are often used in professional audio equipment such as stages and studios. Technically, it is a similar standard to S/PDIF for OPT/COAX connections.
Ther must have been some confusion between Topping and APOS,for 90SE,the later states DSD1024 too.

90se.PNG

Which is which now?

Veri

Master Contributor
I2S and AES are not very familiar as connection methods for consumer audio equipment, but they are standards that are often used in professional audio equipment such as stages and studios.
I2S is intended as an interface standard, usually on board and not over an external cable... I2S over HDMI is not something I'd expect in pro/studio usage, actually.

AES, yes. Of course :)

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought I2S was the one digital interface over which it was possible to transmit DSD without copy protection/handshaking (which HDMI requires). Is that incorrect?

Labjr

Major Contributor
I thought I2S was the one digital interface over which it was possible to transmit DSD without copy protection/handshaking (which HDMI requires). Is that incorrect?
DSD is not encrypted, SACD's are.

Top Bottom