• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to Support Audio Science Review

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know the vast majority of members appreciate the time you guys put into moderating, but, uh, you two have the upper hand in any disagreement with recalcitrant members. You can delete posts, lock threads, I suspect delete threads, and issue bans at various levels, including permanent bans. Perhaps naive (stupid, IMO) members can flame you a bit, but you have fire extinguishers and lock-outs at your disposal. ;)
talk about upper hand: who do you think has the upper hand? Us or the house?
OIC ... you mean like tweeter 'moderation'! Oh boy... sorry!;)

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a way to make a donation on a CC without going through PayPal or some other intermediary?
I understand such concerns, but I have been a Paypal member for a LONG time, and have had a zillion transactions on it without a single fraudulent one (unlike my credit cards, which I only and exclusively use in the real world and yet ...).

JSmith

Master Contributor
I understand such concerns
I don't actually... it's much better to store your CC details with one company only (like PayPal), rather than randomly entering those details for payments on any site. Not only keyloggers can be a concern there, but whether the site is storing CC details or using a 3rd party payment gateway as well. Like you, I only use PayPal, or the site doesn't get my business.

JSmith

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know the vast majority of members appreciate the time you guys put into moderating, but, uh, you two have the upper hand in any disagreement with recalcitrant members. You can delete posts, lock threads, I suspect delete threads, and issue bans at various levels, including permanent bans. ...

I had one post deleted by moderators last week. I thought it an innocuous, tongue-in-cheek comment (and it was), but hey, the forum rules are what they are. If we don't like the rules, it's our choice to leave the forum. If we think the rules are applied the wrong way, we can contact the moderator (I didn't) and- based on what I have seen in my 1+ year here- I think they'd consider our input. If we want to change the rules, we can buy Amir out. :-D

One could also consider applying to be a moderator (I personally never would, I just enjoy being a member).

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, that's where you're going wrong... I employ support cats now;

internet-cats.gif
View attachment 246556

... one can then claim to be an animal shelter and thus tax exempt status. ;)

I've started cutting down on costs too by exploring robotic support cats with AI... only downside is the charging downtime;

2bd.png

JSmith
Brilliant. I posted a pic about my cat (Boli, a British shorthair) sitting in the perfect spot between speakers. He definitely enjoys music. And most certainly has far superior hearing compared to mine. I wish I could hold a conversation with him about the clarity and balance up and above the 20kHz spectrum: "Does that really sound like a mosquito, Boli?" . :-D But he'd look at me weird in response. He often does. :)

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Is there a way to make a donation on a CC without going through PayPal or some other intermediary?
I can also recommend PayPal without hesitation, but I have one little warning (that has nothing to do with PayPal but with imposters).

I've been using it for years paying all over the world. I even had one little pickle with them and even though I found out I was mistaking, they remedied everything as if it was them being in the wrong. They completely disarmed me and gained my trust.

What's the warning; some "e-pirates" try to emulate mails from PayPal in an effort to scare you that your account is blocked and that you need to pay a fee to unblock it. But they are quite obvious with the age-old trick that boils down to: "if you give us some money, we'll give you a lot of money, but you first". If someone falls for such a silly con, it's really not PayPal's responsibility.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Also there is when.

For example, I am trading headphones on another site, but the review here helped me make a decision on the trade.

Given the value of the headphones, and the value I am receiving the trade, I will be making a small donation to the site to show Amir my gratitude for all he does.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had one post deleted by moderators last week. I thought it an innocuous, tongue-in-cheek comment (and it was), but hey, the forum rules are what they are. If we don't like the rules, it's our choice to leave the forum. If we think the rules are applied the wrong way, we can contact the moderator (I didn't) and- based on what I have seen in my 1+ year here- I think they'd consider our input. If we want to change the rules, we can buy Amir out. :-D

One could also consider applying to be a moderator (I personally never would, I just enjoy being a member).
This forum is very tolerant of views that other sites would likely permaban. I have personally crossed the line many times, and received well deserved thread bans.

I appreciate the freedom to occasionally overstate my case without overstaying my welcome.

Waxx

Major Contributor
Is there a way to avoid paypall. I did have a lot of troubles with them, and i'm not gonna use it again (they own me still quiet a lot of money). I want to donate since a long time, but if paypall is the only option, i won't. I can use credit cards or money transcription for payments from belgium to the USA. Patreon als pushes me to paypall.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
After attending a recent audio event I realized we need ASR apparel to show off.

JSmith

Master Contributor
After attending a recent audio event I realized we need ASR apparel to show off.
There is some ASR merch available actually. :)

I did suggest this at one point... but was more of a joke. ;)

index.php

JSmith

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
There is some ASR merch available actually. :)

I did suggest this at one point... but was more of a joke. ;)

index.php

JSmith
Thanks! I did search but my Google-fu is weak... Or maybe just impatient.

Karmacoma

Forum Donor
Thanx for all the tests/reviews, thanx for creating this site that allowed me to learn/unlearn many things on sound reproduction hardware, which led me to improve my sound system and enjoy music at home even more. Overall, thanx for your honnest approach to this hobby we all share.
As we say here "Beaucoup remercier signifie secrètement demander d'avantage'' / "to thank a lot means to secretely ask for more" ;)
Money well spent

Andysu

Major Contributor
Ah, that's where you're going wrong... I employ support cats now;

internet-cats.gif
View attachment 246556

... one can then claim to be an animal shelter and thus tax exempt status. ;)

I've started cutting down on costs too by exploring robotic support cats with AI... only downside is the charging downtime;

2bd.png

JSmith
support cats are best hardest workers all they require is food , when no food they go on strike
cats-on-strike-leah-saulnier-the-painting-maniac.jpg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand such concerns, but I have been a Paypal member for a LONG time, and have had a zillion transactions on it without a single fraudulent one
For me it's not the fraud, it's that they take money for themselves.

ASR is the home i never had and i feel Amir is a brother in crime or like a second mother or something, so i sent the money as "Friends and Family", but Paypal took $3.99 (2.6%) anyway. :oops:
I think that is new, i remember i sent some money to a Canadian chap in February and didn't pay anything for it.

However, i don't think there are alternatives right now.
Even a bank transfer into the US wouldn't be free.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
However, i don't think there are alternatives right now.
Even a bank transfer into the US wouldn't be free.
I wonder how Russian members (if any??) would be able to handle donations to ASR.:eek:

Top Bottom