• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima A07 PRO

sthaus

I have my A07 at just a little past 2pm... My source is at 100% the DAC is also maxed to become line out basically... The Schiit Magni+ is where I control the volume of the entire setup. It never needs to go past 12 but it can. Running both my A07 and my A3001 Sub Amp from the same power supply set at 34V 10A gives me about 100Watts per channel at 8ohms to my LS50 Meta's... No clipping, no skipping or crackling.

@sthaus - I do think that something may be amiss within your chain... But I really don't know...
I tested them with 2 setup ..
- PC-DAC-AMP; Roon to DAC (dac mode) --> Amp .. result in halfway volume or less only.
- PC-DAC-PreAMP-AMP, Roon to DAC (dac mode) --> 11" volume Pre-Amp (40%) --> Full AMP volume; result at 40% pre-amp or sound will cut in and out if more than 45%

This could be a power supply issue once it drives a big (W) speakers. My recommended for AO7 is for small speakers like bookshelf or medium speakers which are less than 150W for their standard PSU 48v x 5a ...

In related to this topic ..Will A07 Pro facing with the same Power issue again ???

Last edited:

AIYIMA:GUO

Not according to the chart provided on the Aiyima A07 sales page.

What I am using is sufficient. As well, because my 48v 10a power supply also powers the Aiyima A3001 subwoofer amp, The information provided by Aiyima for that amplifier recommends nothing over 35V.

The LS50 Meta speakers I use have a
recommended amplifier power: of 40-100 watts

Your advice is basically incorrect for my use as my amplifier and speakers are well matched.
We also received a lot of feedback from users, and we also upgraded the power supply of the A3001.

Darowi

Hello, hope not to post in the wrong thread.
I have just bought a A07pro because my YJHifi 3255 amp just died. It seems to have been quite similar to the 07 pro but is 4years old. Will the 07pro be better than my old YJhifi?

PXL_20221207_172932847~2.jpg

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

I can say... I'm not pleased that the PRO version has an advertised SNR of 20db worse than the original A07. I mean everything remains to be seen still. I welcome Amir being able to test this unit out. I certainly hope Aiyima sent one to him. One of us has to if they didn't.

My unit is finally in transit to the US. Should be about another week. I am working with Andrew at SparkosLabs and I will most likely be testing this PRO unit out with his dual Discrete op-amps. But we'll probably need a couple of risers for each socket nearest the caps. These sockets are really too close together.

Still... The A07 Pro case needs proper venting. The chip will need better thermal paste.. What else does it need, I'm not sure of just yet.

I think tone controls have their place and I do use them. I can't help but feel these additions along with Bluetooth are just ways for Aiyima to sell the unit to the most people possible. It isn't really a pro offering in the way I see it. Higher grade caps, inductors and op-amps, sure... Bring it. But the tone controls and Bluetooth are an adulteration. The Bluetooth offered doesn't even support LDAC. That is a big mistake in my book.

I have Bluetooth in my DAC. I don't use it.. But it is there. I have tone controls in a separate component... I do not need them in my power amplifier. I need that unit to be the cleanest, most capable, most efficient unit in my chain. This A07 pro... I don't think is a good choice for a guy like me.. I rather have my A07 be modified with proper convection vents, Sagami inductors and all my caps swapped for high end versions. Make a pro unit of a nearly perfect product by upgrading the original. Not by adulterating it with features that we, for the most part, were against when Aiyima asked us what we wanted in a pro unit.

Stay tuned... The units will arrive soon!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221208_153732_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20221208_153732_Firefox.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 219

Holmz

Major Contributor
I can say... I'm not pleased that the PRO version has an advertised SNR of 20db worse than the original A07. I mean everything remains to be seen still. I welcome Amir being able to test this unit out. I certainly hope Aiyima sent one to him. One of us has to if they didn't.

My unit is finally in transit to the US. …

Maybe your unit is a better representation, than one direct from the factory?
Are you in the states?

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

Maybe your unit is a better representation, than one direct from the factory?
Are you in the states?
I'm not sure how to respond to this... What are you even saying? Which unit? The one I haven't received yet? A better representation? Aren't you the person who just asked someone else to define better? So why don't you define "better representation" for me... Or at least clarify your statement.

The only place you can actually order the Aiyima A07 PRO right now is directly from Aiyima and their other outlets in China such as AliExpress.
But think about your statement... Which Aiyima products would not originate from their factory? If I bought it from Amazon or even from AliExpress... Wouldn't these retail outlets obtain their stock from the Aiyima factory? Your statement really makes no sense.

So I must ask... Are you even reading the posts? The second paragraph I wrote in what you quoted - "My unit is finally in transit to the US. ". Doesn't this phrase tell you I'm in the US?!?

I mean seriously... If you can't be bothered to read, understand, follow and comprehend the thread... What can I do other than point this issue out and ask why? In order to be an active contributor to the thread and to participate in the discussion, you kind of have to do these things... Do you want to clarify your statements? Add any clarity? Ask any real questions?

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There's been such an explosion of new Chinese amps, it sure is hard to keep up. I like my Aiyima A07 a lot. I also like the SMSL AO100 amp now that my Bluetooth issue seems to have worked itself out.

I think there is a niche spot still open for a very high component quality class D mini-amp that could punch up to 150 or so real (without straining) wpc for 8 ohm speakers with less than .5% distortion, have an integral power supply, have a remote, tone controls with source direct cutout, proper venting, SW outputs, and use a very high quality board and capacitors.

But we're picky. I'm listening to my AO100 now and with a vintage preamp helping to push, it sounds pretty darn good.

Holmz

Major Contributor
I'm not sure how to respond to this... What are you even saying? Which unit? The one I haven't received yet?

Yeah yours.

A better representation?

How would you know that they did not send a golden example directly to Amir?

Aren't you the person who just asked someone else to define better? So why don't you define "better representation" for me... Or at least clarify your statement.

Well I got one of these too.
But “better”, for me, is not hissing like a pack of vipers, no and obvious brightness etc.

I could compare it to say an old McIntosh with the blue lights. It is better in terms of SINAD and harmonics, but most would take the Mc in a heart beat.
(Maybe even me.)

The only place you can actually order the Aiyima A07 PRO right now is directly from Aiyima and their other outlets in China such as AliExpress.
But think about your statement... Which Aiyima products would not originate from their factory? If I bought it from Amazon or even from AliExpress... Wouldn't these retail outlets obtain their stock from the Aiyima factory? Your statement really makes no sense.

It does if some units are better than others and there was a low quality control and a wide variation.
(I got mine via Amazon.)

So I must ask... Are you even reading the posts? The second paragraph I wrote in what you quoted - "My unit is finally in transit to the US. ". Doesn't this phrase tell you I'm in the US?!?

OK… Sometimes my reading comprehension is not good.

I mean seriously... If you can't be bothered to read, understand, follow and comprehend the thread... What can I do other than point this issue out and ask why? In order to be an active contributor to the thread and to participate in the discussion, you kind of have to do these things... Do you want to clarify your statements? Add any clarity? Ask any real questions?

Let me know if the clarifications make sense.

I have had a different thing shipped to Amir, so I know that is one way he does things…
But then again, this unit was tested and reviewed already, so we have everything we need to know already.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

AO7 Pro internals

Attachments

• 20221212_183113.jpg
    20221212_183113.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 773

Holmz

Major Contributor
I also missed that it was a “PRO”… so maybe it should be tested? if you‘re interested.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

Couple of more shots of the internal components

Attachments

• 20221212_204415.jpg
    20221212_204415.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 612
  • 20221212_204404.jpg
    20221212_204404.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 617
  • 20221212_204340.jpg
    20221212_204340.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 616
OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

Yeah, you aren't even paying attention to the content or purpose of this thread. It's quite discouraging.

The entire thread is about the New A07 "PRO" The acquisition, the teardown... Getting in touch with Amir, having it tested, etc.

I also missed that it was a “PRO”… so maybe it should be tested? if you‘re interested.

sthaus

whoa .. 5 x ne5532 in there, as a result that we need to spend more $$ for op-amp replacement again ... lol
but how come the dB is less than the original A07 .??? whats about sound signature .. ? an improve in sound stage ??

Holmz

Major Contributor
Yeah, you aren't even paying attention to the content or purpose of this thread. It's quite discouraging.

The entire thread is about the New A07 "PRO" The acquisition, the teardown... Getting in touch with Amir, having it tested, etc.

Obviously - like you mentioned a week ago here:

I do kind of wish all these A07 posts could either be posted in an existing A07 thread or their own and not a thread opened up for discussion of the newly released A07 Pro..

It would not be unthinkable to see A-07 and A-07 Pro, as assuming that they’re similar things.

I can say... I'm not pleased that the PRO version has an advertised SNR of 20db worse than the original A07.

The original A07 has been fine for my use.
Tone controls for me are not as handy as XLRs in my case.

Having 20 dB worse SNR is getting to be headed towards being dire, and especially so if it is mostly noise.
(The Topping I got hissed like a pack of snake and was shoved in the box and returned the same day.)

The pictures are all dandy, and nice to see… but how does it sound?
If it is 20dB worse SNR then it sort of means that the variability of Aiyima products means that every product may have no relation to quality of other products,
And in this case, the “PRO” suffix added to the A-07… is nothing PRO.

They had a nice amp with the A-07, and slapped “PRO” on it… and it seems to have went backwards.

TurboNatalia

It would not be unthinkable to see A-07 and A-07 Pro, as assuming that they’re similar things.

Having 20 dB worse SNR is getting to be headed towards being dire, and especially so if it is mostly noise.
(The Topping I got hissed like a pack of snake and was shoved in the box and returned the same day.)

If it is 20dB worse SNR then it sort of means that the variability of Aiyima products means that every product may have no relation to quality of other products,

They had a nice amp with the A-07, and slapped “PRO” on it… and it seems to have went backwards.
to be fair for a small brand like AIYIMA you cannot even expect consistent product quality from different batches, see this measurement on a newer batch of A07: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/aiyima-a07/

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

to be fair for a small brand like AIYIMA you cannot even expect consistent product quality from different batches, see this measurement on a newer batch of A07: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/aiyima-a07/
Yeah..TurboNatalia is spot on... I bought 4 units. I still have 3 A07's and they all have different components. 2 of them were purchased from Aiyima directly and 1 was from Amazon.

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
The last 2 1/2 years have been more difficult for these smaller companies in particular. Significant problems in component procurement. 6-18 months delivery time are now normal, it used to be weeks, and the significantly increased prices...

Last edited:
OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

In reply... TLDR... The "Thread-Ender"

XLR's have nothing to do with the purpose and use of tone controls. And in regards to the A07 and A07 pro, neither of these units have XLR input so the statement is just irrelevant. Did the A07 Pro need tone controls? Not really. But Aiyima sells these units to make money. They obviously decided to reach a wider audience and it really feels geared toward a mobile audience if you ask me. But even then the Bluetooth is a poor implementation because it lacks LDAC. So we do agree... "Pro" is just a word tacked on to a "not-so-pro" unit.

Your statement about "it"not being unthinkable to see A07 and A07 Pro...

Being unthinkable is not the issue. Of course it isn't unthinkable, but it is not practical, leads to confusion and should be discouraged.

Separate, dedicated forum threads for separate discussions on different items is necessary to keep the confusion down and to lead readers down clear, concise paths that can lead to well informed decisions.

This why we see Amir make separate forum posts for each piece of gear he reviews. This is also why those who follow and respond to those posts don't toss other gear into the discussion unless it is being brought up to show clear distinction and differences. But even then, users tend to link to these other discussions.

I am the OP of this post. I have asked people from refraining from talking about the A07 in this thread. So it doesn't matter if you think it isn't unthinkable. It is not proper nettiquette. So don't do it. Take your A07 discussion to a dedicated A07 thread. Simple.

You yourself said that you didn't even notice the "Pro" in the title. So that doesn't jive with your claim that it should be OK to mix it up. It's just you rationalizing your lack of attention to detail. Fix that instead of rationalizing it.

NOTE: THIS FORUM THREAD is NOT a REVIEW POST. The word "review" is not in the title and I have been very clear on the focus of this thread. This is moreover an "announcement" & "reveal" thread. Solely for bringing the unit to the attention of the community members. There are far better, more capable people here that could give us informative reviews. I'm not that guy.

My unit was purchased specifically for testing and for working with SparkosLabs. This has been posted clearly.

The pictures are here for those interested in seeing the changes.

As far as how it sounds... Again, this is NOT a review post.

How it sounds isn't the right question really anyway. How things sound is quite subjective. One person may like a warm sounding amp and hate distinctly analytical sounding amps and vice versa. Some people don't have trained ears, some do... Some people have terrible ears. Some people hear name brands and suffer from the placebo effect.

If I say it sounds good... That doesn't mean anything. If I say it sounds amazing... Compared to what? If you want to know how it sounds, wait for a review post or buy one and find out for yourself. Chances are still high that the general public knows nothing about this unit.

Even when Amir recommended the A07 originally, I trusted his measurements and he told us it sounds good to him.He gave us the good, the bad and the ugly. I watched a few other reviews... But ultimately, I still had to buy one and find out for myself. It definitely sounded better than what I had. Even then though, it still needed improvement to be sure.

In the realm of how it sounds... Remember, I have my own chain of components, particular speakers and a room/headphones that contribute to my experience. I don't have an A/B testing rig setup. I don't have a way to easily dismantle my setup to swap out the amps.

I, like you am quite satisfied with my A07. I have a modified and upgraded version with discrete op-amps from SparkosLabs, a modified case for convective cooling. A customized power supply, custom power cables and interconnects.

My only goal in purchasing this "Pro" unit was to have it torn down, components shown to the community, have it possibly tested by Amir and/or to work on the sound signature with some op-amp rolling by working exclusively with Andrew of SparkosLabs.

I leave the reviewing to others, specifically Amir and the select few that grace us with their input.

I do agree... That this "Pro" offering is not a pro offering at all though.

They could have simply given us a better input and output implementation. A more robust voltage regulator. better caps in both the power handling and the audio areas, better inductors and a properly vented case. I did post in another dedicated A07 thread that for what it was, at the price point, based on several people being involved with reviewing the A07, that it was nearly perfect. This thread specifically covered what I felt the A07 needed... Several members chimed in and contributed.

Aiyima had previously polled this community and asked what we would like to see in a "Pro" A07 unit. Aiyima didn't really listen. Nobody wanted Bluetooth and nobody wanted tone controls. At least that was what I saw as the concensus.

So as the OP, let's stay on topic. This is not a Review of the A07 "Pro" and for the most part... This thread is closed as I have accomplished what I set out to do.
Announce, Acquire, Show internals....

The next step is pass it off to Amir if he has not received one direct from Aiyima AND/OR proceed with op-amp testing with Andrew of SparkosLabs. 5 op-amps is quite a lot though... What swapping will do and in what combinations will be beneficial remains to be seen and the process will not be simple. We can all agree that at $80 per op-amp for a single Sparkos dual-discrete op-amp is a lot of cash.. That's $400 USD and one must ask... Will this be a better course? Will it be a waste? Why not just buy a $500 Amp?

I personally believe that there will definitely be diminishing returns. I would though be interested in how these op-amp swaps can possibly help with the SNR issues. But until Amir measures this Amp, I won't have a clear path on how to proceed. And even then.. Perhaps it should also be measured with a wide variety of op-amp combinations. Holy crap it's 5 op-amps! Am I right?

When an Aiyima A07 "PRO" review post shows up... That will effectively be the place for further discussion.

Thanks to everyone who stayed on topic, I hope in the coming days we have a nice set of real world data and options laid before us.

Top Bottom