• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 30 8.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 315 86.1%

• Total voters

half_dog

What will the HS01 provide compared to the galvanic isolation in the SDA-6?
Oh sorry. I didn't know about it. In this case, there's no benefits... Maybe you got a defective unit :/
I'm a little surprised with this interference complain, you are not the first person. I've had a few L30s with me and none of them shown this kind of problem.
I hope you can solve it.

Killerind

I had been eyeing the Topping L30ii&E30ii after reading your reviews and finally pulled the trigger and bought directly from Topping when I travelled to China a few months later.
I paired them with the HiFiMan Edition XS.
I'm new to the audiophile world and I'm trying to figure out is what gain setting to use.
Low gain at 50% or Medium gain at 20%? I'm not sure if I understand the science correctly as yet. They are sufficiently loud enough on low gain but would I be getting more benefits on medium gain?

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
They are sufficiently loud enough on low gain but would I be getting more benefits on medium gain?
Try both ways and use the one that sounds better to you.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Who says it got worse?
What you are seeing is the right/left imbalance of this measured device. Since every potentiometer is slightly different, the next device can be much better or worse at this point.
And this applies not only to the L30 and L30 II, but also to all other devices that use a normal potentiometer, no matter how good or bad the right/left imbalance of the measured device is.

Last edited:
I had to put a thick steel plate on top of my desk to stop the unit from picking up my phone signals.

Attachments

• photo_2022-12-13_13-32-49.jpg
    photo_2022-12-13_13-32-49.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 142

Roland68

Major Contributor
I had to put a thick steel plate on top of my desk to stop the unit from picking up my phone signals.
The question would be whether the irradiation occurs directly into the device or via the connected cables...

Sokel

Master Contributor
The question would be whether the irradiation occurs directly into the device or via the connected cables...
How thick aluminum should be to avoid such?Or it doesn't matter?
I rule out the cables since we have seen this with all kinds of balanced and unbalanced (including coaxial).

Roland68

Major Contributor
I rule out the cables since we have seen this with all kinds of balanced and unbalanced (including coaxial).
It's not that easy with EMC.
But of course, if cables stopped acting as antennas, that would be easier.
With the L30 housings, you first have to check whether all 3 housing parts have a clean electrical connection, otherwise the shielding will not work well.

- Does the noise get louder and quieter as you turn the volume control?
- Is the noise still there or is it less if you unplug the RCA cables?

I tested it without any cables connected but different headphones. (no dac connected) and the problem presisted even after replacing with another unit.

I think this device is completely unshielded when it comes to certain RF. You can test it by calling a disconected number and putting it near the unit. you should be able to hear loud noise coming from the L30 ii.

It's not that easy with EMC.
But of course, if cables stopped acting as antennas, that would be easier.
With the L30 housings, you first have to check whether all 3 housing parts have a clean electrical connection, otherwise the shielding will not work well.

- Does the noise get louder and quieter as you turn the volume control?
- Is the noise still there or is it less if you unplug the RCA cables?
noise gets louder the higher the volume / gain. But not by much it is already pretty loud even at moderate volume level.

RCA cables on or off made no diffrence with my units.
the plate is 2mm thick. I would think 1mm might also be enough. I only had this plate randomly laying arround so I tryed this "solution" and it worked. Think of hi-fi products trying to "improve" the sound of gear. This could be a legit one lol. I ordered this plate from amazon for a project once. they're not super expensive.

I can now lay my phone near my amp (on my desk) and I never hear any random crackle or noises.

half_dog

That sounds so weird for me... As I told before, I had the opportunity to test some L30 (even those before the upgrade) units and none of them had this problem. Some of them came with some imbalance in low volume, but no interference when connected to a grounded source. Do you a multimeter around to test if the case is connected to ground? And may I ask if yours RCA cables are unidirectional?

That sounds so weird for me... As I told before, I had the opportunity to test some L30 (even those before the upgrade) units and none of them had this problem. Some of them came with some imbalance in low volume, but no interference when connected to a grounded source. Do you a multimeter around to test if the case is connected to ground? And may I ask if yours RCA cables are unidirectional?
I am talking solely about the L30 ii not L30.

I do not have a multimeter.

RCA cables are the ones shenzhenaudio delivers for free with the DAC/AMP combo. https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/topping-e30-ii-l30-ii-rca-cable-combo

but testing it with all sorts of different RCA cables makes no difference. Still waiting for someone to do the simple calling phone to the unit test. I wonder if this is an issues with all units sold.

I know it, but they share some similarities... I'm wondering if the new circuit is so susceptible to EMI. There is a L30II coming for me but probably it will only in a month. Soon as I get it I will try to do some tests.
nice mate. looking forward for those tests. if you might find a simple solution to somehow improve the L30IIs isolation from EMI that be ace. thank you.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I tested it without any cables connected but different headphones. (no dac connected) and the problem presisted even after replacing with another unit.

I think this device is completely unshielded when it comes to certain RF. You can test it by calling a disconected number and putting it near the unit. you should be able to hear loud noise coming from the L30 ii.
I've also had the L30 II here and my iPhone next to it and on top of it too, but had no problems.
That's why I'm a bit surprised...

Top Bottom