• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Closed-back under $/€ 1000 for (hard) rock, pop, country, jazz, electronica

ericafterdark

So I sold my Denon AH-D9200 and switched to Apple AirPods Max. Now I'd like to go back to proper wired headphones to enjoy lossless music.

The maximum budget is somewhere around $/€ 1000. I mostly listen to (hard) rock, pop, country, jazz, electronica. No classical music.

While the Denon was great, I'd like to try something else. They need to be closed-back because I will also use them at the office once in a while.

I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO and Beyerdynamic T5.

Any other recommendations?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
AKG K371?

Or go to the audio/video store to listen and check the comfort and chose for yourself... . It's largely a matter of personal preference, and there is almost no correlation between price and sound quality.

OP
ericafterdark

ericafterdark

AKG K371?

Or go to the audio/video store to listen and check the comfort and chose for yourself... . It's largely a matter of personal preference, and there is almost no correlation between price and sound quality.

I've been reading about these. The difference in price between the K371 and T5 for example is... huge. I wish there was a store around where I could listen to them.

Are there any other recommended closed-backs in my range?

Dazerdoreal

I havent listened to the T5 but they seem to be a risky pick, at least the newest (3rd) Gen. The frequency curve really looks like an acquired taste.

I expect a muddy sound as long as you dont EQ.

You might like the Neumann NDH 20. They are also on the warm side but they shouldnt be as muddy as the T5.

OP
ericafterdark

ericafterdark

I havent listened to the T5 but they seem to be a risky pick, at least the newest (3rd) Gen. The frequency curve really looks like an acquired taste.

I expect a muddy sound as long as you dont EQ.

You might like the Neumann NDH 20. They are also on the warm side but they shouldnt be as muddy as the T5.

Thanks! I found a store that has lots of them so I will invest some time for a serious listening session.

Top Bottom