• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio PowerPlant 3 Review

Rate this AC Regenerator

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 260 91.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.8%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So: if you feed this unit 120V, does it correct to 110V? Mind showing a graph? And how does it deal with spikes? And brown-outs?
It regulates to 120 volt. And no, I need to send this back to its owner as it has been sitting here for months. I accept their claim that it regulates as did the P15. See that review for measurements of that.

On Spikes, I have no way of simulating that as that requires specialized gear.

D

Deleted member 35357

You should test a Anker Powerstation or a Ecoflow delta.

Those huge battery powerbanks with AC out and other ports to see what they deliver for kinda of power.

Those things with 250Wh to 1000+

They are cheaper but have actual utility instead.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You should test a Anker Powerstation or a Ecoflow delta.

Those huge battery powerbanks with AC out and other ports to see what they deliver for kinda of power.

Those things with 250Wh to 1000+
To test something requires power transfer. Designing the power transfer is one thing and executing it is another thing. It can become very finicky and even dangerous.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I suppose... if the PSU in your amp is a piss-poor design. Other than that, I can't see how it would.

The internal PSU in the SMSL D-6 is tiny yet that doesn't stop the DAC from achieving great objective performance on unfiltered AC at a mere $170.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't think anyone on ASR has articulated any failures with PS Audio gear, have they? This review unit looks beautifully constructed and I would expect it will continue to function for many decades, unlike some other brands people continue to clamour for.
How can you tell that by just looking at a picture? I expect a high voltage power amplifier like this to have a stressful life. I remember running into a guy that used to distribute their older line and he told me tons of the regens were failing and coming back.

On this unit, a quick search shows failures just the same: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ps-audio-stellar-power-plant-3.946663/post-17039123

"My Power plant seemingly just died today, while all my devices were in Stand by."

And

"I've had mine including the expensive PS Audio power cable for a month now, it has blown the 1.6 AMP fuse at the rear just the other day. "

Shipping costs for a 40 pound box is not going to be cheap or easy even if the unit is under warranty.

D

Deleted member 48726

Many professionnal use this power conditionner, no test but read user review :

Some friends tell me that it's very good, cost 179€, and I dream to see if is really a good choice by proven with measurements... i don't tell this is a real bargain, but I think it's just a filter... not a regenarator/regulator... and a good filter can improve the sound.
Well it's made to protect gear from low and high voltage transients and smooth out dirty power. Typically you see warped sine curves in the industry when lots of high power equipment does frequency modulation to motors by frequency converters.
Residential power rarely (in my country at least) see lots of fluctuation or warping.

BeeKay

Off topic: My post was actually inspired by the Rubin/Young interview on their latest collaboration. They recorded to analog tape and digitized the result in real time, thereby preserving that "analog touch". Which probably is noise, distortion, wow and flutter. They also pointed out, how quickly analog detoriates.
On the other hand there are some interesting recordings like …

Attachments

• 7C275374-3D56-49D6-91C3-46A6D3619E47.jpeg
    7C275374-3D56-49D6-91C3-46A6D3619E47.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 45
  • B1D04764-E4F4-4879-A20E-7B48475C498B.jpeg
    B1D04764-E4F4-4879-A20E-7B48475C498B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely true.

Sadly, a significant proportion of the ASR cohort think it's just a numbers game on the AP leader board. HiFi isn't just numbers, and never has been.

The proof is in the pudding as they say, and many of the predictions I/we have made regarding longevity, reliability and usability, solidity and reparability are coming true. It's quite amusing actually and would be more so if people weren't losing money and getting shafted.

I don't think anyone on ASR has articulated any failures with PS Audio gear, have they? This review unit looks beautifully constructed and I would expect it will continue to function for many decades, unlike some other brands people continue to clamour for.
Don't understand your point? My Topping DAC may fail after a few years (although it's managed to last two years so far) but while it's working it does what it is supposed to do and does it well at a cost of £140. The device reviewed here does nothing and costs over two grand. Its build quality and longevity are therefore irrelevant.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't understand your point? My Topping DAC may fail after a few years (although it's managed to last two years so far) but while it's working it does what it is supposed to do and does it well at a cost of £140. The device reviewed here does nothing and costs over two grand. Its build quality and longevity are therefore irrelevant.

A piece of overpriced trash that by miracle becomes indestructible...is still trash.

joeren

Multiwave = flattened top sinewave (so distorted) so that reservoir caps in power amps that are significantly loaded get a bit more 'time' to replenish the voltage while limiting peak currents. As the PP limits power output by design it may help with some power amps when regenerated power is needed and poweramps are connected.

Not interesting for low power devices... in fact the powerplant is not really interesting unless one has wildly varying mains voltages that regularly dip too low for the very few not so well designed devices that rely on proper mains voltages.

Cleanwave is utter nonsensical as the magnetic field in the transformer is changing continuous so there is nothing to 'de-gauss'. A typical McClown-thought feature.
Flattering a sine wave will have some immediate effects for sure. Lower PP voltage = lower power supply rail voltage and perhaps issues with equipment power transformers, reducing their efficiency and creating more heat. Any “flat part of a wave is essentially DC. Transformers don’t care much for DC.

EBrumbaugh

Just reading that blurb on the power cable from the manual tells me all I need to know about PS Audio.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Looking at the voting, 6 people must have Power Plants at home. I feel sorry you six. Maybe sell/trade them for something more useful like room treatment? The longer you just keep them the less they will be worth. Room treatment will last for many, many years. Just sayin.

gfx_1

For less money you can get an online UPS like AEG Protect 1000/2000/3000 which creates a reasonable sinus but now idea how these measure.

Top Bottom