• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio PowerPlant 3 Review

Rate this AC Regenerator

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 260 91.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.8%

• Total voters

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are the claims made for the PS Audio Powerplant 3 on their website:

"Problems on your power line such as low voltage, distorted waveforms, sagging power, and noise are eliminated and the power quality enhanced."

As far as I can tell, only noise and distorted waveforms were tested by Amir. What about low voltage, sagging power, and power spikes? What about hooking up the unit to a variable power supply and testing the response?
Yeah I'd like to see that....altho I can't imagine it getting better doing such....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As far as I can tell, only noise and distorted waveforms were tested by Amir. What about low voltage, sagging power, and power spikes? What about hooking up the unit to a variable power supply and testing the response?
I showed the fact that it regulated to 120 volt. I test the P15 with variable input and it indeed provided regulation.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I once talked to somebody about upgraded power cables. I pointed out that the power goes over all these lines from the power company, through multiple circuit panels, an then finally through a long line through the walls to the plug. Then, finally, I buy a fancy power cord for the last few feet? What's that going to do after that huge journey?

His answer, and it's always a him, was that the journey is in the opposite direction, from the device to the power.

WTF, moron? I fucking hate people.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Here are the claims made for the PS Audio Powerplant 3 on their website:

"Problems on your power line such as low voltage, distorted waveforms, sagging power, and noise are eliminated and the power quality enhanced."

For regulation (up to 300W) it will indeed work fine up to the specified limits.
Most gear, however, especially those with switching power supplies are not really bothered by mains voltage variations and often even allow for a wider input voltage range than the PP can compensate for.

Not mentioned nor ever tested it seems is if it can also remove DC from mains (I expect it could) which could help with sudden transformer hum.
It would be a very expensive solution for that though.

To switch on the power to different gear using a remote is also an option it can do but again, a smart switch is cheaper.
Also for some mains filtering there are much cheaper and smaller options.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I once talked to somebody about upgraded power cables. I pointed out that the power goes over all these lines from the power company, through multiple circuit panels, an then finally through a long line through the walls to the plug. Then, finally, I buy a fancy power cord for the last few feet? What's that going to do after that huge journey?

From a power-loss p.o.v. (at least up to 300W) the PP actually 'solves' that non-issue by having a low output resistance (debatable not really measured) and regulation it provides.

Fortunately this is not a real issue nor concern for the vast majority of AV equipment.

Of course.... the final stretch of cable is not going to change anything, with nor without the (low)PowerPlant.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning

His answer, and it's always a him, was that the journey is in the opposite direction, from the device to the power.

WTF, moron? I fucking hate people.

Don't forget generic IEC power plug pins, generic cables to the PCB, generic PCB traces/solder. and the generic transformers. We can go on and on...

DuncanTodd

I badly want to see PS Audio's latest flagship speaker aspen FR30 measured & reviewed on ASR! I love the attempt at something a little different although for $28K there are a few other choices out there. I mean, it should at least be as good as any of the Wilson or Magico products out there, right?

View attachment 248595
It's a 104 kg. Are you gonna carry it to the lab? :)

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Is there something worryingly telling for our times about the many golfing panthers for products from China, and the many headless panthers for products from America and Europe?

D

Deleted member 19122

Maybe. I doubt the target audience cares what he says, or knows ASR even exists.
Oh they know ASR exists,the blowhard braggers with their "esoteric" audio are mostly on online forums.Just try one for a few days.There is always a stupid hierarchy of these blowhards and each has their own tribe of sycophants.I have to laugh,these guys think they are like some mystical ju ju voodoo alchemists, conjuring up the absolute magical true sound from evermore increasing expenditures.

Cars-N-Cans

Is there something worryingly telling for our times about the many golfing panthers for products from China, and the many headless panthers for products from America and Europe?
The big difference is the products from China are deliberately targeting good performance specs via the design, even though they are not absolutely necessary as far as subjective performance goes. As far as durability and longevity goes, I would say they are still towards the bottom in that regard due to the use of lower tier components. Id much rather have an amplifier with an average SINAD of 85 dB that's made with reliable components and offers robust protection against things like internal faults and ESD. While we know that the 85 dB and the 120 dB SINAD will sound identical, if a Chinese amp decides to nuke your speakers or your headphones, you will absolutely hear the difference at that point.

Cars-N-Cans

Clearly he's not concerned at all either about from the device to the speakers and the wiring used from the binding post internally. ;)

JSmith
Yep, wouldn't be true fidelity if the $12,000 power cable with 99.999% pure monocrystalline silver conductors didn't go to an IEC connector wired with generic hook-up wire from a large main-stream electronics supplier.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The big difference is the products from China are deliberately targeting good performance specs via the design, even though they are not absolutely necessary as far as subjective performance goes. As far as durability and longevity goes, I would say they are still towards the bottom in that regard due to the use of lower tier components. Id much rather have an amplifier with an average SINAD of 85 dB that's made with reliable components and offers robust protection against things like internal faults and ESD. While we know that the 85 dB and the 120 dB SINAD will sound identical, if a Chinese amp decides to nuke your speakers or your headphones, you will absolutely hear the difference at that point.
SINAD points to excellent engineering. It's not an end all be all of what's audible or not. I'd not want something that is built like a tank and yet measures at 85db of SINAD. That's shit engineering.

Will a Topping DAC break before a McIntosh DAC? I don't know. Some might say the McIntosh DAC is broken from the start, both in price and engineering.

Cars-N-Cans

PS Audio should hate Paul, he's the guy at the top signing off the ploys to waste everyone's time. Paul is wasting their engineer's time, their marketing's time, their CUSTOMER's time. This entire company is nothing but snake oil at its worst. It's pretty clear at this point that the company has absolutely no integrity, they're bottomless in the worst way, releasing product after product which actually damages the audiochain. They are lying and cheating the customers.

Amir should do a snakes award at the end of the year. Paul would undoubtedly earn top marks.
PS Audio is Paul. What goes out the door likely starts and ends with Paul himself. Given how Machiavellian he is these types of products are right up his alley. Nothing needed other than his slick smile and promising the world that his products will be what makes the difference. As an added bonus, he now seems to be getting into the pseudo-science department as well with his latest ambitions of writing a book series.

Cars-N-Cans

SINAD points to excellent engineering. It's not an end all be all of what's audible or not. I'd not want something that is built like a tank and yet measures at 85db of SINAD. That's shit engineering.

Will a Topping DAC break before a McIntosh DAC? I don't know. Some might say the McIntosh DAC is broken from the start, both in price and engineering.
I think that is one issue, here, is that people get so wrapped up in the numbers game. SINAD of 85 (Edit: Note in terms of distortion this corresponds to about 0.005% THD, which is reasonable for an amp) will likely sound no different as long as its not entirely from noise. You simply cant hear the difference, so the excellent engineering in a way goes to waste. Personally I'd rather just have both using something like a modular class-D amp, but often cost is an issue as well. And for someone like me who often forgets and leaves these things on for days on end, I do want some confidence that it wont do something unpleasant when I'm not there. Edit: Its worth saying this is not much of an issue with the DACs, mainly its the power electronics that can be of concern since there are large currents and voltages involved, stressing things more than you would have in a DAC that just runs off a low voltage supply. But there the software and firmware can be an issue if the DAC malfunctions and goes to full volume as happened in another thread on here. Maybe there is a point not to use a DAC for a volume control, but then its just another box you need because something wasn't done right. Personally there is more to a design than just how it looks on an AP analyzer.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Some might say the McIntosh DAC is broken from the start, both in price and engineering.

Broken from the start?
1670576815487.png

Attachments

• 1670576545707.png
    1670576545707.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom