• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio PowerPlant 3 Review

Rate this AC Regenerator

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 260 91.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.8%

• Total voters

Lambda

Major Contributor
In this case, I suspect a ground loop was created causing the increased 60 Hz mains spike. But I can't explain why the 180 Hz third harmonic has also gotten worse. Either way, we have gone backward.
How would this create a ground loop? waht is the "loop". I would expect the test setup to be a line not a loop?
Anyway you have proven power quality makes a difference. bur PS audio makes it worse

FINFET

Forum Donor
Hi Amir, not sure if proper to ask but will there be a video review of this? Really missed your voice and I lost count of how many times I rewatched many of your other excellent videos.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Don't call it noise. It's dither, stupid.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not mentioned is that it comes with a high-fidelity power cable. Those often cost many thousands, bought separately.

/Whoops! Nope, it didn't

Last edited:

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
To be pedantic, sometimes dither is psuedo-random "noise" that is digitally removed later in processing.
Jokes do not survive pedantry. Even bad ones don't make it.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Off topic: My post was actually inspired by the Rubin/Young interview on their latest collaboration. They recorded to analog tape and digitized the result in real time, thereby preserving that "analog touch". Which probably is noise, distortion, wow and flutter. They also pointed out, how quickly analog detoriates.

delta76

Major Contributor
The only improvement in terms of power supply for audio gear is using nuclear power plants. Then you get really deep and sub atomar base-response and very bright and radiating heights as never heard before. ;-)
Don't give them ideas. soon they will start saying that electricity from Coal power plant is the best, you should not be using renewable energy because it's garbage for audio (facepalm)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't give them ideas. soon they will start saying that electricity from Coal power plant is the best, you should not be using renewable energy because it's garbage for audio (facepalm)
Well, maybe you can't. But I can hear the difference coal makes.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Lol the whole idea of converting AC into DC then into AC and then finally into DC seems rather repetitive, pointless, inefficient , and overtly complicated

This is not what this thing does though.

marcom22

I dont know how it's possible in the 2022 to produce and buy this toys ...... it's incredible, the "audiophile" people it is too stupid? Bah .....

respice finem

Major Contributor
The competition would then say "create your own unique sound experience by powering your gear with our audiophile dynamo bike, losing weight at the same time". :cool:

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As with tests of other PS Audio PowerPlants (of which, I own one myself but never use)
Amir, you know what you must do.... for science!

Collect as many PS Audio PowerPlants in one place as possible. Now daisy-chain them, plugging one into the next, for multiple levels of filtering. Surely this will create an audio experience so pure, you'll be able to smell the brand of deodorant that Norah Jones' producer used on the day of the recording.

respice finem

Major Contributor
I dont know how it's possible in the 2022 to produce and buy this toys ...... it's incredible, the "audiophile" people it is too stupid? Bah .....
Stupid? Rather gullible IMHO, nobody is born with knowledge. People believe in stranger things than this, as long as the person(s) behind the narrative seem credible to them. And, if the narrative reaches millions and only one per mille will buy, it still means thousands of units sold.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I dont know how it's possible in the 2022 to produce and buy this toys ...... it's incredible.

There seems to be a market for it so why not cater for that market, especially when easy money is earned.
Nobody needs to buy anything.

It is good that people also can read a more objective standpoint amidst all the 'this improves sound a lot' info found on the web.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Amir, you know what you must do.... for science!

Collect as many PS Audio PowerPlants in one place as possible. Now daisy-chain them, plugging one into the next, for multiple levels of filtering. Surely this will create an audio experience so pure, you'll be able to smell the brand of deodorant that Norah Jones' producer used on the day of the recording.
but then, careful what you say about the smell :D

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
One question. Why not the “Robbing the Piggy Bank” Panther for this review Amir? Is he off to the Islands for Holiday and not available? ;)

Top Bottom