• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef r3 vs Wharfdale Linton 85 (My comparison)

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
After listening to music on a KEF R3 for a while, wanted to try something different - Wharfdale Linton 85.

Part 1: Picture & initial impressions
Part 2: Near-field response
Part 3: Listening position response
Part 4: Applying PEQs to correct bass bumps
Part 5: Mono listening
Part 6: Stereo listening
Part 7: Conclusion

Part 1: Picture & Initial Impressions
IMG_4281.png

Initial (sighted/biased) impressions: The Linton speakers sound quite good. Very non fatiguing, can listen for a long time. Good imaging, and music seems to envelop the room. The bass is good, with drums sound very nice on them. I do not feel any sharpness in the midrange or treble that can cause discomfort over long listening sessions. I can't hear much above 12k and suffer from tinnitus, so take my impressions for they are worth.

Part II - Near-field response
First set of measurements - I measured both my R3 and the Linton at approx. 1m, at similar SPL. No correction has been applied, these are the raw responses of the speakers. I am a bit surprised by this, the Linton (Green) shows a significant drop at 4khz of about 5db. The R3 (Orange) is fairly flat throughout the midrange. Both measurements taken with pink periodic noise, Var smoothing applied.

The dip at 4k in the Linton might be due to nearfield measurement with the mic in front of the mid rather than tweeter. The R3 does not have the same issue due to its coaxial arrangement.
uncorrected response at 1m.png

Part 3: Listening position response
In-room response at roughly 3m distance is shown below. The dip at 4k goes away now. These measurements were made with both speaker pairs pointing out straight into the room. This means they are off axis at about 30degrees for both. They measure similarly with the Lintons having a sharper drop-off above 6k.
inroom_mmm.png

Part 4: Applying PEQs to correct bass bumps
I used REW to measure response at my listening position and apply PEQ filters to match the Harman curve. Below are the 'corrected' response and target curve used. The key difference between the two speakers seems to be around the 1.2khz region (where the R3 has a slight boost and the Linton a slight dip), and the higher frequencies where the Linton drops off much faster than the R3.
linton vs r3 corrected.png

Part 5: Mono listening
I used my Minidsp SHD to play the same channel on both speakers. I used REW decibel meter to adjust the volume levels so that they are within 1 db of each other. I used on preset to apply the PEQs to the R3, and another to apply it to the Linton, allowing me to switch between them with about a 1-2 sec gap.

I played a bunch of songs I am familiar with and listened both directly on-axis as well as in my seating position.

1. On axis, the R3 definitely seems far more focused than the Linton. The Linton feels warmer/fatter, and the sound does not seem to come from a single point like it does with the R3. On axis I preferred the Linton due to its warmer sound signature.
2. Off-axis though, it's a much closer call. They sound quite similar off axis to me, with the Linton being just a bit more laidback.

Part 6: Stereo Listening
As I only have 1 amplifier, I cannot switch rapidly back and forth between the pair of speakers. Therefore, this test is flawed by design. But better than nothing I guess ?

I listened to a few tracks on both speakers (with their appropriate corrections applied). Honestly, there isn't a lot of difference between them. If you had me at gunpoint, I might say the KEFs were a tad bit brighter, and also had a better stereo image. But if you played the sound and I asked me which one it was blind, I would lose the challenge. Which, to my ears, means I do not find a meaningful difference between.

I have attached some recordings of both speakers and 3 different songs I played. Of course, given that this is recorded on an iPhone, this isn't meant to capture the full sound signature, but the hope is you can compare the tonality somewhat for yourself and see if you think there is a difference.

Part 7: Conclusion
1. Both are very handsome speakers in their own way. The KEFs have a modern, clean look, and probably goes better with modern decor. The Linton's are significantly bigger, and have a retro look, which I prefer.
2. FR shows both speakers to have similar bass extension. The KEFs are brighter above 8khz. Kudos to KEF for achieving the same bass extension with a 5.5" woofer as the much larger Linton, though I guess this comes with a slight sensitivity penalty.
3. In mono-listening, the difference in sound was noticeable. The Linton had a slight edge to me due to its warmer sound.
3. However, in stereo, it was very difficult to make out any big difference in them. This could be down to the time it took to switch between them while playing different songs.
4. The R3 does cost more, about 2.3k a pair, though can be found for 1700 during occasional sales. The Lintons cost $1500 a pair in theory, but I got mine for $1500 including the stands (which in theory cost $500). So I think you should be able to score one for $1300 or so if you are patient.

Overall, I'd say both are comparable speakers. For me, it really comes down to the small difference in cost (in hi-fi terms), space requirement, and probably the biggest differentiating factor - looks.

My decision - I sold the KEF R3 and decided to go for the Lintons. I can just go on listening to music on them without any fatigue.

Attachments

• aja.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 144
  • dreams.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 99
  • summerof42.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Prana Ferox

I'm also interested. I've been mental cross-shopping these and the JBL 4309 for a while. The KEF is arguably the winner on paper but I lust for something with more vintage looks.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I currently have DIY 2way speakers on top of very flat DIY subwoofers on my desk. I just measured my tweeter height, and the Lintons are just about has high as my speaker stack. In other words. These would fit perfectly as replacement of what I have. My current system is DSP corrected to 30hz. I could do 20hz but I like the headroom.

819Wharfig1.jpg

Looking at this plot. the Lintons are tuned to 40hz, which honestly depending on how loud you want it, you could go a bit lower. Them being bassreflex, they probably have the headroom anyway, and since they're 3way it won't affect the midrange. I am absolutely not unhappy with what I have, but for curiosity, these would be and interesting product that would just work as a drop in replacement. Well, I'd even need 1 channel/DAC and amplifier less than now, assuming I'd not add/continue to use the subwoofers.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
That r3 finish is beautiful
They are both beautiful speakers in their own way. The kef looks modern and sleek, the lintons look retro and old school. They arent as red as the promo pictures show though (i have the mahogany version)

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are both beautiful speakers in their own way. The kef looks modern and sleek, the lintons look retro and old school. They arent as red as the promo pictures show though (i have the mahogany version)
Saw the Lintons in real space the other day. They are high quality-looking speakers and matching stands, while still having that retro shape.

JaccoW

I figured the white balance must be a bit off. If those are the walnut KEFs they are looking a bit pale.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In case anyone is curious:
Better:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: GDK
OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
I figured the white balance must be a bit off. If those are the walnut KEFs they are looking a bit pale.
Yeah it is. The brick wall should be redder. I had a lot of led lights in the room so it was very bright

warpdrive

both are beautiful in their own way. The KEFs have modern proportions which I like (taller, deeper rather than wider) but the Wharfedales look exactly like the kind of speakers my parents had.

Given we have measurements of both and already know how they differ objectively, question becomes, which one works better for your particular room?

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
both are beautiful in their own way. The KEFs have modern proportions which I like (taller, deeper rather than wider) but the Wharfedales look exactly like the kind of speakers my parents had.

Given we have measurements of both and already know how they differ objectively, question becomes, which one works better for your particular room?
They do differ in directivity, with the KEFs being narrower. So it will be a good experiment for me to see which I prefer given both have good tonality and similar f3s.

Prana Ferox

I wondered about the white balance in that shot there as well. I think the R3s look awful there, it looks greywashed, not what walnut with a nice oil finish looks like at all. I had a similar issue with my Polk R200s, their walnut doesn't look right at all in real life.

Reactions: ENG

regan

This will be interesting. Been hesitating between the two quite a lot.

Teodore

Hello , all !
I am very interessed also , needing a fuller and heavier bass to give a greater scale and substance to the sound vs my Epos Elan 10 bookshelfs

mr.k

I know it's hard to judge true speaker nature based od youtube video, but I found it strange how much "off" Lintons sounded compared to other speaker in this short comparison:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly, the first speaker might just be impossibly strident. Tough to tell much in that recording. Then also, it's not unknown for YouTube reviewers to skew results.

mr.k

I think one or even both of the guys said they have Lintons at home, so there's no reason to skew the results.
Anyway, I'm also interested in the Lintons because of the positive reviews and looks, but if it was only for this video, they would be last speakers on my list :)

Top Bottom