• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

Fraxo

So I've looked everywhere and couldn't find a plugin that allows unlimited "point to point" type of equalization as APO's Graphic EQ does. As a DAW addition.

View attachment 237624

That means not just bell shapes, shelves, cuts etc... Simply point to point "drawing of your curve.
I need something that allows to save presets and to easily A-B different presets.

I'd highly appreciate any help!

VoidX

So I've looked everywhere and couldn't find a plugin that allows unlimited "point to point" type of equalization as APO's Graphic EQ does. As a DAW addition.
The closest you can get is my Equalizer APO to FIR software, that can be imported to any convolution plugin. Sadly it's not that fast of a workflow.

hemiutut

Hi, I'd also like to show off my creation: a free and open source EQ software for Windows with a single click feature for Equalizer APO, completely customizable crossover, multi-mic and multi-sub support, Atmos playback with EQ, making ported subs sound like sealed ones, and many more features: http://cavern.sbence.hu/cavern/quickeq.php

Supports Equalizer APO, MiniDSP, MultEQ-X, StormAudio, and Behringer.

This one is completely built on user feedback, so if you'd like to see anything, just reach out to me.
Thank you very much for putting this free program for Windows for everyone.

Is there a forum, tutorial where you can see how to use it?

written with translator

Greetings

hemiutut

Edited:

Thanks for putting the 2 links.
I use the Pc + Equalizer APO ( REW + Umik-1) for my 5.1
I have followed the steps of this video and I have already been able to with the Bose Companion II.
What I see is that the equalizer is graphic and not parametric.

Cavern-Quick-EQ-Bose-Companion-II-18-11-2022.jpg

Can they be done with parametric filters?
I say this because in my particular case I equalize with APO with parametric filters using the REW RTA.

I leave you a sample of my central channel using APO with real-time parametric filters ( RTA ).
I adapt the target target to my liking but always using pink noise + RTA

written with translator

Greetings

Last edited:

hemiutut

Use the "Export as peaking EQ" option. However, this has lower precision and worse sound quality.
So, as you can see in the capture that I have posted of the equalization, are they only graphic filters or are there also mixed parametric ones?
I see that it says for example:
GraphicEQ and hence my confusion:
I give an example of the first filter of the Channel L
19.611011505127 -21,8775002086732; and I would say that it is a parametric filter

Cavern-Quick-EQ-Bose-Companion-II-18-11-2022.jpg

Thanks for the clarifications.

Greetings

VoidX

So, as you can see in the capture that I have posted of the equalization, are they only graphic filters or are there also mixed parametric ones?
They are only graphic, these are their points (frequency-gain pairs). Parametric can only be exported with the "Export as peaking EQ" option. Itt will have up to 20 filters per channel, each in a new line. You might have to click the more button on the export tab for it to appear.

hemiutut

They are only graphic, these are their points (frequency-gain pairs). Parametric can only be exported with the "Export as peaking EQ" option. Itt will have up to 20 filters per channel, each in a new line. You might have to click the more button on the export tab for it to appear.
I already have it clear, thanks. What surprises me is that you say that with parametric filters you do not get such a precise and good sound.
Do the PEQs that your program applies in the mid-high zone have a fairly narrow Q?

I use PEQS and I never use a narrow Q in mid-high.

I hope you understand what I say, since I use a translator.

Greetings

VoidX

Do the PEQs that your program applies in the mid-high zone have a fairly narrow Q?
No, it only depends on what creates the flattest result. Qs can range from 0 to 20.

What surprises me is that you say that with parametric filters you do not get such a precise and good sound.
Parametric EQ breaks the phase alignment if frequencies and Qs are not uniform (so always). Graphic (FIR) does not, and can even fix bad phase.

hemiutut

No, it only depends on what creates the flattest result. Qs can range from 0 to 20.

Parametric EQ breaks the phase alignment if frequencies and Qs are not uniform (so always). Graphic (FIR) does not, and can even fix bad phase.
Thank you for the courtesy in responding.
About the IR and FIR filters I don't want to disagree in this thread, I can simply say that I have done 2 equalizations:
The EQ in each channel with graphic filters has from 100 to 120 filters and the one made with parametrics in my case only has 12 filters per channel.
I am clear that it may be because of the target that I have chosen (it only plays up to 11Khz) to test and that I have just started with Cavern QuickEQ, even so I do not see the comparison as appropriate and objective since 100-120 filters vs 12 there is no color.

EQ-PEQs-Carven-Quick-EQ.jpg

written with translator

Greetings

AudioScience Enthusiast

What a great list!

I am currently on MacOS, is it still true that there are no apps today that can do both system hosting and exclusive mode?

It seems like Roon (a paid service) is the only way to get both?

DTNT

Does anybody know a good VST host for Windows, so I can load my Pro Q3 to run in the background the same way Sonarworks do?

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does anybody know a good VST host for Windows, so I can load my Pro Q3 to run in the background the same way Sonarworks do?

I can vouch for @mitchco's Hang Loose Convolver, bonus - you can switch between 6 different filters in real time for comparison. Best to check if your particular VST works with it well in Windows though.

johnp98

Does anyone know of a free macOS option that can do parametric EQ (and ideally import from a text file generated from REW) like Equalizer APO?

I have heard that SoundSource can do this, but it costs $41USD.

I found that BlackHole and AUNBandEQ can be used as per this guide or this post and are free but when I try to put in the filter parameters the Q value is in 'octive' so then I would need to convert the Q value into 'octive' using this table?
1670387425360.png

(I also got confused by this discussion and if 1,40845 was pertinent to me)
The BlackHole / AUNBandEQ method also seems semi cumbersome but if that is the only free way to get these filters up and running on a mac then I guess its worth figuring out the Q to octave conversion.

Does anyone have other free ideas?
Or thoughts on how change from specific Q values from REW generated filters to the needed 'octive' scale?

Thanks!

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Does anyone know of a free macOS option that can do parametric EQ (and ideally import from a text file generated from REW) like Equalizer APO?

I have heard that SoundSource can do this, but it costs $41USD.

I found that BlackHole and AUNBandEQ can be used as per this guide or this post and are free but when I try to put in the filter parameters the Q value is in 'octive' so then I would need to convert the Q value into 'octive' using this table?
View attachment 248328
(I also got confused by this discussion and if 1,40845 was pertinent to me)
The BlackHole / AUNBandEQ method also seems semi cumbersome but if that is the only free way to get these filters up and running on a mac then I guess its worth figuring out the Q to octave conversion.

Does anyone have other free ideas?
Or thoughts on how change from specific Q values from REW generated filters to the needed 'octive' scale?

Thanks!

the Q on my Motu device is totaly diferent. it only goes up to 3

but for bandwidth, here is a calculator: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bandwidth.htm

antcollinet

Master Contributor
What a great list!

I am currently on MacOS, is it still true that there are no apps today that can do both system hosting and exclusive mode?

It seems like Roon (a paid service) is the only way to get both?
What do you mean by both system hosting and exclusive?

Top Bottom