• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 240 75.7%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 35357

DAC is more Audio crowd oriented naming scheme, in the PC space this is just a "soundcard" in it's simplest terms for people. Many there don't know what a "DAC" is even by itself if they aren't interested in details. There this is just a "soundcard" as it interfaces with a PC.

Sound cards are more encompassing naming scheme and they don't require input or other features to be called that. Just sound output is required.
There are USB sound cards that are external much the same as this thing is, but cheaper and lower performance.
Though some crowd would prefer to call it a DAC as many around this site.
Just different naming scheme for different markets.

By calling this a DAC you exclude a large market of people who have no idea what a DAC is but know how a "soundcard" works and is used.

It should be marketed as both. As it functions are the same from wherever the audience comes from.
PC crowd will look at it as a soundcard. If it's not named as such they might think it's not "functional" as such and exclude from even considering it as such.

But in practical terms there is no diffrence in actual use for either the Audio crowd using it as a DAC or the PC crowd preferring to use it as a soundcard for their PC.

mkt

I use a Mac laptop. What is a soundcard?

staticV3

Master Contributor
@mkt open to interpretation. Here's mine: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...g-dm7-8-channel-dac-review.35661/post-1402622

Just like the meaning of earbuds has shifted from
these: original-earpods-2.jpg to these:de-galaxy-buds2-pro-r510-sm-r510nlvadbt-533211701.png

a soundcard used to be this:
pdt-mhl-audigy-rx.png
but nowadays can also mean this:
LD0005693537_1.jpg UGREENUSBExternalSoundCard_ExternalSoundCardwithJack3.5mmHeadphoneandMicrophoneJackforLaptopPC...jpg

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
By calling this a DAC you exclude a large market of people who have no idea what a DAC is but know how a "soundcard" works and is used.
And that is exactly my point in response to the many here who criticize the Topping DM7 for not having the features that they expect in a sound card. This product is not targeted at them for that reason. To be sure, sound cards may have DACs in them but a DAC, itself, is different and more restrictive definition of the product.

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
So, here's how I define the difference.

I'd first start with the definition of DAC, which is digital to analog converter.

What creates that digital audio signal? The chip/logic present on a sound card is responsible for creating the digital output that is sent to the DAC.

How does the sound card get data out of the computer in analog form?

It sends it to the DAC.

A soundcard may include a DAC, but it is not a DAC.
A DAC is exactly what it says it is;A digital to analog converter.

Trell

Major Contributor
@mkt open to interpretation. Here's mine: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...g-dm7-8-channel-dac-review.35661/post-1402622

Just like the meaning of earbuds has shifted from
these: View attachment 248159 to these:View attachment 248160

a soundcard used to be this:
View attachment 248161
but nowadays can also mean this:
View attachment 248164 View attachment 248165
Add to this that the vast majority of PC users will not install a sound card/DAC in it in the first place as they quite simply will use the onboard the motherboard functionality.

As you write, definitions changes over time.

Personally, to people not used with audio or computers internals, I’ll just say sound card to them and leave out any mention of audio interface. :)

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Whoareyou the sound card is an outdated concept that died when motherboard manufacturers started baking somewhat decent audio right into the board:
Screenshot_20221206-155908_Chrome.png Screenshot_20221206-160740_Chrome.png

You'll have a very hard time convincing others to call these sound cards:
apos-audio-topping-dac-digital-to-analog-converter-topping-dm7-8-channel-dac-37348245471468_800x.jpgD3004_grande.jpgschiit-modi-plus-zilver-correct.jpg
Not least because they're pure output devices, whereas sound cards did and still do provide both in and outputs.

D

Deleted member 35357

@Whoareyou the sound card is an outdated concept that died when motherboard manufacturers started baking somewhat decent audio right into the board:
View attachment 248175 View attachment 248176

View attachment 248178View attachment 248179View attachment 248180
Not least because they're pure output devices, whereas sound cards did and still do provide both in and outputs.
But DAC's are usually better than soundcards ever were.
Souncards, they often had buggy or non functioning drivers as Windows got new releases which impacted the audience to avoid them as much as possible as their gear suddenly stopped working as the software was not updated to work on the new systems. Or buggy software was never fixed to actually make the cards functional without glaring faults. Features removed and other issues was normal.

Though if they marketed these DAC's to the same crowd it would open up a larger audience of users to come back to better Audio gear on the PC markets. These USB attached devices usually don't have the same issues as the old add-in-card variants had of old.
And they are overall of much better quality all around than the cards were if you ever bought a after market one.

Because of old issues most just gave up and preferred to stick to their onboard audio solutions and forgot something better was ever around.
If they marketed these directly as soundcard replacements instead of onboard audio or add-in-cards with much better performance & less issues, you could widen the usershare of people having the gear in the first place.

I never even considered a DAC until I broke my onboard Audio on my motherboard, I needed a new solution. None of the internal variants were "good" or without issues. Also add in the feature most modern motherboards have no room to add in a card in your system as they have done away with extra PCI/PCIE connections to slot in your add-in-card.
Just by chance I found myself looking at these DAC's. Was all around a better solution than any soundcard could ever be. The other choice was to go the HDMI AVR route.

Only issue was these were all only 2-channel output.
Finally a multi-channel option came around with the Okto dac8 & then now with this Topping DM7.

The DM7 would have been a perfect solution ages ago! Only thing is the balanced outputs are kinda limiting in what gear you can hook up to it. Though preferred in the price range this product is at though.

I was looking for a multi-channel soundcard for ages but they always were of old designs or not sold any more. Drivers being a main issue as well.
This DM7 is in my list of things to get if I get around to getting a set of balanced powered speakers to pair this device with.
My old unbalanced 5.1 system will have to retire if I get the DM7 for something better.

The PC crowd wants multi-channel audio solutions if only the products ever existed & worked as advertised!

It's finally here!
Driverless(windows) multi-channel solution with top-line performance!

If you have the cash for this entry level this device is sold at people will consider it if they only knew it exists & actually will work as a soundcard replacement device.

I will seriouisly consider getting one when the time is right to get the new speaker system to pair it with.

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
View attachment 248175 View attachment 248176

View attachment 248178View attachment 248179View attachment 248180

I'm trying to convince people of something?

Just pointing out that DAC is an acronym for a specialized device, and DACs are incorporated into the design of some soundcards.

And that's why some soundcard manufacturers make a point of what DAC chip they've incorporated into their design.

Trell

Major Contributor
I'm trying to convince people of something?

Just pointing out that DAC is an acronym for a specialized device, and DACs are incorporated into the design of some soundcards.

And that's why some soundcard manufacturers make a point of what DAC chip they've incorporated into their design.
I’d say that most people would not call a soundcard without DAC functionality a soundcard in the first place.

Say, like this one. RME does call it an audio interface, though. No analogue input in sight either, especially a mic preamp. The RME ADI-2 Pro, with no mic preamp but analogue in, is a converter in their lineup.

Last edited:

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
I’d say that most people would not call a soundcard without DAC functionality a soundcard in the first place.

And as I said "A soundcard may include a DAC, but it is not a DAC."

Again, I'm not trying to convince anyone to call these things anything, but for my own personal purchases, I like to know what kind of DAC is used by the manufacturer and what the specs are for that portion of the functionality.

Trell

Major Contributor
And as I said "A soundcard may include a DAC, but it is not a DAC."

Again, I'm not trying to convince anyone to call these things anything, but for my own personal purchases, I like to know what kind of DAC is used by the manufacturer and what the specs are for that portion of the functionality.

For most ordinary consumers, I guess, that would be a confusing definition of a soundcard. In time that will change to as a card once upon a time actually was a card. So for most the card was replaced with equivalent functionality on the motherboard many years ago, and very few users actually buy such cards anymore.

dartinbout

Finally? They were preceded by the exaSound, MSB, miniDSP and Merging+Nadac DACs.
As a noted surround junkie, all of those were fails for me in comparison to my existing ASUS\Auzentech soundcards. They did 24\192 7.1 and I could swap out opamps. The Okto could do 24\192 and DSD 128 in full surround. The earlier examples were either too expensive for me or didn't do more then my soundcards. I lucked into a used full Octo Dac 8 pro, which I sold to get the DM7. The DM7 suits my budget and use case perfectly. I just watched "Tar: up sampled, in surround and it's one more proof that my god(s) love me.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The earlier examples were either too expensive for me or didn't do more then my soundcards.
We all have personal preferences. I posted in the interest of full disclosure.

dartinbout

We all have personal preferences. I posted in the interest of full disclosure.
Kal, thank you for being such a great advocate for immersive sound. I, for one, am very appreciative of your dedication to the cause.

D

Deleted member 35357

Finally? They were preceded by the exaSound, MSB, miniDSP and Merging+Nadac DACs.
minDSP is the only brand I've heard of in the last few years, the others are complete unknowns for most.

I would dare say so most know none of those brands and especially don't even know of the new Okto & Topping either outside the AUDIO crowd.
I was not aware there ever existed a multi channel solution until the Okto arrived unless you wanted a AVR.

PC users stay in PC categories of gear. They don't know you can have these better performing USB DAC's today instead of their old soundcard solutions. (they mostly only see the cheap gamer gear being marketed toward them which isn't as good or usable as the pure AUDIO solutions available)

They are still a fresh market and people don't know about them other than AUDIO enthusiasts. PC crowd at large hasn't realized there is a this plethora of integrable gear to be used that will work over years and have no issues when you upgrade the rest of the PC without incompatibilities as their old PC oriented gear of yesteryear.

PC users are really only aware of AVR's as a solution for multi-channel audio. All other PC oriented gear has failed the line of compatibility & reliability if they aren't simple powered speakers you connect to your 3.5 mm jacks on your motherboard. Though those aren't always of the best tier or quality of sound.

When they have looked for upgrades they only see a plethora of 2-channel solutions from HiFi.
They have a working multi-channel solution they want to upgrade but there is no "multi channel HiFi solution" that is easy to use other than choosing to use a AVR instead of their PC oriented powered speakers.

With these few new entries they can get HiFi multi-channel audio without having to resort to use a "inferior" AVR that gets snubbed by many HiFi Audiophiles who only promote 2-channel solutions at large.
You have your 8-channel DAC to throw at people now! It's HiFi, it's AUDIOPHILE grade! It's good, it's all PC people need. They have software to make us of it. They don't need integrated solutions the AVR's have when they sit at their PC to control every minute detail of the sound.

Only awareness these offerings exist need to be spread so people know they work & are usable needs to expand.

The DM7 could outcompete all the PC oriented soundcard solutions in it's entirety! Most people never needed the inputs!

There is a room for a lower tier unbalanced solution if they can cut costs somehow for wider adoption. The balanced connections are a problem for many as they don't have balanced gear at home at this time anywhere!

Sokel

Master Contributor
If I'm not wrong there was the diyink version too,although that was for diy builds.
Just for consideration.

Top Bottom