• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dual Opposed Subwoofer Theory?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Previously my way bigger ported speakers were tuned to about 40Hz. That was too high to take advantage of my (!) room to anywhere lower.
Mine are tuned to 12 Hz, but the port gain extends an octave or two above that. Low enough to avoid audible GD. No port noise or chuffing either :)

AlexanderM

Here is a super cheap dual driver subwoofer. I am prepared to duck. That company also has triple driver subs.

It's backordered, but what a price and Cdn$, for 12" triple driver Sub.

Last edited:

HighFutility

WinISD is perhaps the most popular bass box simulator, worth investigating

Dual opposed woofers share same airspace typically. Air volume in the box is an important factor that affects the low end behaviour of drivers when long excursion and air compression/movement happens. This will show in spl response of the unit and maximum spl it can give per frequency. Bass reflex tuning depends on box volume and port length, number of radiators is negligible.

Many dogmas and traditions of loudspeaker's bass performance come from era of drivers with short Xmax and poor power handling, and passive designs without use of signal eq or motional feedback. In this millenium we can bend those rules quite a lot (at least for domestic use) simply and with low cost by DSP and modern driver units, driven by cheap and efficient classD amplifiers.

Dual opposed in my eyes best suited for hifi 3-way speakers, as seen in eg. Vivid Audio Giya. Home theater and PA subwoofers aim for very low freq and high spl capacity, which still means very large cabinets and often some sort of horn to maximize efficiency, then dual opposed is not best giving benefit. I have personal experience with a DIY PPSL dual opposed with two sealed boxes side by side, with 15" woofers. A single Hypex DS2.0 easily drives it to intolerable spl in my HT room!

118vivid.promo2_.jpg

View attachment 104769View attachment 104770
Can WinIsd model DOS subwoofers?

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Can WinIsd model DOS subwoofers?

Just add two drivers instead of one. The inherent response doesn't change whether a sub is just dual driver or dual opposed driver.

JimA84

"Such are the trials and tribulations when you date strippers.... they don't mix well with car audio." :) :) :)

Top Bottom