• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY audio, where to get started?

Chuck1993

Hi,

To start with I'm in the UK so would prefer any places to buy from being local, what u really want to know would be the best place to start?

Is there kits available that can be put together for instance? My woodworking skills are non existent and I don't have a workspace for anything beyond soldering.

I would prefer inexpensive options to start of possible so I can see how I'd do.

TIA

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
Totally second abdo123.

I got into DIY thinking I can make something really good at fraction of the cost.
Looking back, I have wasted plenty of money, wasted a few years and am still unsatisfied.
The only reason to get into DIY is if you enjoy doing it and want to learn / have fun. I did not learn anything truly worthwhile about audio in the process - I just learned that I am a clumsy idiot. Could have lived without that extra bit of information.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't bother, you can probably beat a overpriced poor performing boutique product with a cheaper DIY, but its all moot when both will never stand a chance against cheap well-engineered mass produced gear.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't bother, you can probably beat a overpriced poor performing boutique product with a cheaper DIY, but its all moot when both will never stand a chance against cheap well-engineered mass produced gear.
We’re getting the KEF R3 for 500 euros a speaker here.

Like nothing can beat that in any way shape or form with DIY even for double the price.

OP
C

Chuck1993

Thank for all the advice, good thing I asked before falling down a rabbit hole

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It can be a rewarding hobby. I'd advise starting with a kit containing the drivers and crossover parts etc. Some even have knock down panels or an unfinished cabinet. As for whether you can beat commercial offerings in SQ...I'd say yes, but only after you've mastered the art, which often takes years.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Some further thoughts and experiences shared here.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although I agree about DIY cost against buying mass-produced, may I propose that satisfaction and knowledge acquired more than outweigh the increased cost and trouble?

As a starting point, I would go with a complete kit, and I've had success with Velleman kits, as they seem well designed, well performing, and decently priced.

They also are a good basis for modification if the kit doesn't do exactly what you want. I've used them to make a headphone amp with tone controls, using one of their small preamp kits, a Type 1 PPM modified from their VU meter kit, and an RIAA phono preamp modified from one of their phono kits.

Often, the convenience of a printed circuit board is alone worth the price of the kit compared with making the circuit up on matrix board.

Sure, DIY seldom results in something as visually attractive as a purchased product (unless of course one is more talented than I am), but the satisfaction is priceless.

S.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well, there are vintage resources and there are modern ones.
For vintage ideas, not to mention techniques and information, peruse the phenomenal stacks of (searchable) PDF resources at https://worldradiohistory.com/
Check, e.g., the "Sams" books at that site for ideas and information. There are also DIY oriented (vintage) publications such as Radio Electronics and Popular Electronics -- some UK and European equivalents, too.

I don't know what it's like today but audioXpress magazine used to be an excellent resource for projects and ideas.
www.audioxpress.com

Modern DIY has largely devolved into "buy some modules, wire them together, and stick them in a case" -- which is OK but not nearly as interesting nor informative as starting with a bag of parts, some wire, and building from scratch.
Vacuum tube DIY is way easier (not to mention more forgiving) than solid state -- but there is (in most cases) the potential (no pun intended!) hazard associated with high voltages. Nothing that some common sense (and a little pre-education) cannot render a very acceptable risk, but I recognize it is a disincentive to some folks.
There are some interesting low-voltage vacuum tube designs, such as Pete Millett's hybrid headphone amp using late 1950s "space charge" tubes (low plate voltages, developed for automobile radio use before high frequency transistors were very practical/affordable). Pete's got lots of interesting projects, as does Nelson Pass.

Finally, the OP might want to start with a kit, where the parts have been selected, some of the grunt work (chassis fabrication) may be done already, and instructions provided. It could be a good way to ease into DIY. ]

Loudspeakers are a pretty good option, too, if the OP has woodworking interest/skill and access to the necessary tools. Still some safe and easy electronic work to do in crossover fabrication (and/or design), so not just a carpentry exercise for a traditional passive loudspeaker. :)

more to come anon :)

A Pete Millett hybrid headphone amp I built for a charity auction a while ago...

(the blue light is entirely for effect -- although I did use a blue LED pilot light :) )

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My woodworking skills are non existent and I don't have a workspace for anything beyond soldering.
That should basically invalidate the whole idea for you, separate from the other valid arguments.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
My woodworking skills are non existent and I don't have a workspace for anything beyond soldering.
Nowadays it's not a problem. There are plenty of carpenters who will precut everything for you via CNC. They can also do the holes. All that's left for you then is glueing them together + finish. Btw you do not want to cut MDF in a living space. The dust will get everywhere.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That should basically invalidate the whole idea for you, separate from the other valid arguments.
Not really, Some kits come with a cabinet.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really, Some kits come with a cabinet.
Well, I'd not call that exactly DIY anymore ;), but yes, there are some good kits, including a flatpack. It's not really a cheap option but beats buying a collection of woodworking tools.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I'd not call that exactly DIY anymore ;), but yes, there are some good kits, including a flatpack. It's not really a cheap option but beats buying a collection of woodworking tools.
And some guys love the woodworking part, and are allergic to crossovers. Everybody has their own thing, I guess.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nowadays it's not a problem. There are plenty of carpenters who will precut everything for you via CNC. They can also do the holes. All that's left for you then is glueing them together + finish.
That removed the inexpensive advantage.
Btw you do not want to cut MDF in a living space. The dust will get everywhere.
You don't want to use MDF anyway, not just because of the durst.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
allergic to crossovers... filin' that away for future use.
:)
Lots of those guys show up on Tech Talk. Some make impressive cabinets.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And some guys love the woodworking part, and are allergic to crossovers. Everybody has their own thing, I guess.
Sure, but if you can't measure the things, have no idea how to make a crossover, and can't make a wooden box, that only leaves the paint job and putting it all together. Sure that may be fun as well, but to me, that defeats the purpose of DIY'ing.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, but if you can't measure the things, have no idea how to make a crossover, and can't make a wooden box, that only leaves the paint job and putting it all together. Sure that may be fun as well, but to me, that defeats the purpose of DIY'ing.
I get the idea that, starting from scratch, the average non-engineer is rather daunted by all the steps necessary to make a usable speaker. So it's an anxiety reducer.

Top Bottom