• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Home Theater AV Processor measurements!
I just shipped an amplifier to its owner and it cost $50! The AVRs are even larger and heavier. The cost to send them back and forth is very high.

I have an old Onkyo that I plan to measure and may buy one to test but I am not sure how much more I can test.

wiggum

Welcome to the forum. Just ordered it from Amazon. Says will be in stock on the 18th and get to me by 21st....
Did you by any chance ordered the Sony NW-A45 that I mentioned before? There are no measurements of Sony DAPs anywhere :(

kaka89

Hum... I owned the DAC-9 during 1 year (driving 2 STA-9 amps) and had a very bad experience about the USB Input. This is not at all "isolated" or such and take the 5V power from the computer.

Once I turned on my PC, I heard a very audible "pink noise" in my speakers. Even worse when my PC was loading or gaming (or use USB transfer to external hard drive), all of these electronics noises were audible via the DAC-9. Nothing to complain about SPDIF inputs, though. I end up by using a Aune X1S as an USB to COAX interface to solve the issue.
I would like to se this as well in measurements. Or maybe my unit was defective.

I also used to own the NuPrime DAC-9 and STA-9 setup.
I use Pi as source and connected through USB, didn't have any noise problem you described.

Subjectively DAC-9's performance is about the same as Lumin D1.
RME ADI-2 DAC is the best DAC I own so far, it is more detailed.

Anyway, the difference between these DACs is small.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Pi as source and connected through USB, didn't have any noise problem you described.
Hum, you probably didn't get much noise from a Pi. I used mine with a high-end gaming PC. Of course the noise was from PC itself but I had many others USB DACs which didn't show this issue in the same scenario. Without a doubt, better USB isolated, galvanic or such things...neither ADI-2 DAC or Cayin iDAC-6 or Qutest, for exemple.

Wyllio

I've always had the same issue with dirty power from my X299 motherboard USB controller that leaked electrical noise from the CPU, GPU, and keyboard/mouse during input into my DACs. Some of the DACs that don't require USB power for some reason don't implement USB power cut off to eliminate the issue. Obviously, using the Toslink optical is the best method to completely eliminate the noise since it's just a beam of light.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did you by any chance ordered the Sony NW-A45 that I mentioned before? There are no measurements of Sony DAPs anywhere :(
No I did not. Issue is that I have so much gear to measure that I don't feel good about buying more where interest may be limited. I am keeping it in mind though.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any plans to review the SMSL sanskrit pro-b? It's AK4490 like the sanskrit 10th, but SNR, and dynamic range specs are slightly better. Also it has bluetooth, which could be more desirable once CCA become difficult to acquire.

Top Bottom