• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 Help

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I don't agree on the mac part, i did mac support for years for a few companies in the graphics industry, and mac os (OSX) is stable, but very limited in possiblilities.

And there hardware, that used to be reock solid is crap these days. The breakdown reate for mac devices is like 5x the rate for relative cheap dell devices, and the costs to buy or repair are much higher. It's that our clients still used mac that we also need it for making our software work or that company would have left mac longtime. The only mac device i own myself is an Iphone SE2 (because android is even more crappy), for the rest, mac needs to stay out of my house... If you still got a win10 device, keep it on win10 and otherwise try Linux Ubuntu (that is relative easy to use) or so.
Could be.

According to Macworld the average life of a mac is between 5 and 8 years. https://www.macworld.com/article/673939/this-is-how-long-macs-and-macbooks-last.html

My experience of macs purchased between 2002 and 2019 is that they are lasting more than 10 years.

Personally, although I really like linux ubuntu I would only recommend it to IT people and people who don't mind using the command line a lot.

Last edited:
OP
Rottmannash

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally got the new PC up and running and when using Audirvana there is constant static in the background, especially when a song begins. I'm using Audirvana>D70>Monoprice THX HP amp>Aeons. I tried to go into the menu and set it to exclusive mode but that did nothing, then tried muting all other sounds and that did nothing. Suggestions?

Trell

Major Contributor
Finally got the new PC up and running and when using Audirvana there is constant static in the background, especially when a song begins. I'm using Audirvana>D70>Monoprice THX HP amp>Aeons. I tried to go into the menu and set it to exclusive mode but that did nothing, then tried muting all other sounds and that did nothing. Suggestions?
What an annoyance.

Have you tried using another digital input to check if it’s USB related or elsewhere? Should disconnect USB then when testing.

Also check if the same happens using other applications, like a web browser or foobar2000.

Check the driver version to see if there are reported problems with it. Same for firmware. Perhaps do updates of them, including downgrade of possible.

Try using another USB port and/or remove other USB devices. Try disable power management for USB ports.

Try setting to high performance power plan.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just bought a new PC and it is loaded w/ Win 11. Does anyone have a handle on the changes from 10? Small but irritating things are popping up-for instance when I right click on a file to either delete it or send it to another drive it requires me to click on the bottom icon to reveal the usual options. Is there any way to have the entire menu drop down instead of always having to click on "more"?

I didn't see this mentioned when skimming through thread, so apologies if it's already been mentioned, but you can simply hold SHIFT down when you right click on the file to directly access the legacy context menu.

OP
Rottmannash

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can i disable power management for some but not all ports? If so how does one disable?

Tom C

Major Contributor
I don't agree on the mac part, i did mac support for years for a few companies in the graphics industry, and mac os (OSX) is stable, but very limited in possiblilities.

And there hardware, that used to be reock solid is crap these days. The breakdown reate for mac devices is like 5x the rate for relative cheap dell devices, and the costs to buy or repair are much higher. It's that our clients still used mac that we also need it for making our software work or that company would have left mac longtime. The only mac device i own myself is an Iphone SE2 (because android is even more crappy), for the rest, mac needs to stay out of my house... If you still got a win10 device, keep it on win10 and otherwise try Linux Ubuntu (that is relative easy to use) or so.
I’m thinking of dabbling in Chromium for home use. Any thoughts?

Waxx

Major Contributor
I’m thinking of dabbling in Chromium for home use. Any thoughts?
Chromium is very limited, but if it's just for internet and "office work" it can work. But if you need some more advanced software, it won't work. Chromium is also based on linux btw, it's basicly a build of Gentoo Linux, build to work with google webapps and made foolproof.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... it's basicly a build of Gentoo Linux, build to work with google webapps and made foolproof.

My question about today's Linux distros is wireless support. Back in the day, Ethernet was of course no problem out of the box, but two things that were always problematic for me:

1) wireless connectivity.

2) audio/visual playback (to a much lesser degree than wireless).

I realize it comes down to a driver issue, and dependent upon third party support.

As far as Win 11? If I ever got the chance to talk to Nadella, I'd say, "Look, N., I'm not even asking you to make it better. But for crying out loud, don't make it worse! How hard can that be, for you?"

Personally, I'd be embarrassed to be running a company with the resources of MS, and then releasing such a mucked up user unfriendly OS, and calling that an 'upgrade'. But I guess he has no shame. Or just doesn't care. Or ________ (fill in the blank).

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to avoid these issues, it's recommended to install a previous version of Windows on your PC, such as Windows 10. intuitive and customizable interface that makes it easier to use. The default web browser has improved performance, security, and compatibility compared to Internet Explorer. Besides, I have access to the latest features, security patches, and bug fixes. So, I'm totally pleased. I hope my advice will be helpful!

Welcome to ASR!

Just remember the clock is a ticking and you don't have access to the latest features (they are going in Windows 11), just the bug fixes and security patches for the next 985 days...

"January 31, 2023 will be the last day this Windows 10 download is offered for sale. Windows 10 will remain supported with security updates that help protect your PC from viruses, spyware, and other malware until October 14, 2025."

Also, I don't know about 'modern', Windows 10 seems ancient to me, I started testing it 2014...

1675341909103.png

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just remember the clock is a ticking and you don't have access to the latest features (they are going in Windows 11), just the bug fixes and security patches for the next 985 days...

I don't expect the company to support an old product forever. I don't think anyone does. But how 'old' is old, really? Plus, what are the 'latest features' in 11 that outclass whatever came before? For the home user? In fact, 11 takes away useful and helpful features, and it doesn't look like they are going to put them back.

Also, many systems are simply unable to run 11, out of the box. It's not necessarily a hardware thing, per se, but related to the way MS configures its 'security protocol'. I guess when 10 support ends, a message will pop up on the user's screen advising:

Your system is no longer safe to use. Please buy a new PC

Maybe link to a Dell or HP discount coupon. That will certainly be a sure winner in the Daily Double. Or, MS could link to one of the less demanding newbee Linux distros. By now I'm sure that most everyone has forgotten Ballmer's 'Linux is a Cancer' campaign.

Exploring the monetary angle, MS has really pushed the 'pay as you go' model. It's the gift that keeps on giving. If Nadella could figure out a way to do it, he'd charge five bucks a month for a new Windows version sub. Or sweeten the deal--ten dollars gets you a family sub to on-line MS Office (or whatever they are calling it, now), plus a terabyte or two of 'totally secure' on-line storage.

And if he was smarter than I imagine him to be, for an extra five dollars a month he'd offer the ability to make the user interface as useful and convenient as Windows 7. :cool:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My enterprise just transitioned from Win 7 to Win 10 in 2022. I admire them for it.
When I was doing work for a large operation (many thousands of desktops) it was version 7. Everyone understood the basics. Before I retired, 8 came out. I asked one of the IT mavens about migration plans? He replied something to the effect of, "Are you kidding me? No one would be able to figure out how to operate it!" 8 was a pretty weird thing for the desktop, for sure. I think it was made for a tablet or phone, and someone decided to stick it on the desktop. That's when I realized MS was out of control as far as user needs were concerned.

The way I understood it, the company bought open licenses, and could install whatever they wanted, whenever, on a per seat basis. Everyone with a desktop (which was most everyone) had access to MS Office. I thought that was kind of odd, since most employees never used it. Or if they did, it was simply to open up an occasional memo document in Word. Outlook was email, and everyone used that pretty consistently. Only a very small minority used Excel, and I don't think anyone used Access. Trainers used Powerpoint. I made a couple of birthday cards with Publisher.

Knowing the retail price, I thought, "How much is all this office stuff costing the company? For such limited use?"

Twice, we were offered the opportunity to buy the full MS Office suite through something called the MS Home Use Program. I think I paid ten dollars. Certainly not the three or four hundred dollars the business suite cost at retail. I have 2013 and 2016 Pro Plus editions. Twenty dollars worth. As far as I know, they will work forever.

So my guess is that the company was paying about ten dollars a seat for each Office license. I don't know that for certain, but with thousands of employees, each with a licensed copy, it would certainly add up. I suppose renewal was yearly, or otherwise on-going.

The pay as you go 'software as a service' model has rendered the buy it one time 'boxed' copy obsolete, I guess.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The way I understood it, the company bought open licenses, and could install whatever they wanted, whenever, on a per seat basis.

You could purchase 'perpetual licenses', which in theory could be used 'forever'. In reality, large enterprises usually pay for support on top of the perpetual license cost - sometimes the license cost is bundled in with an Enterprise License Agreement (ELA) which might run for several years and include 'free' version upgrades. Many business's have a requirement to run supported software (usually for regulatory, legal or government or industry (e.g. Credit Card) certification purposes). Software vendors (including MS) do not support version of software forever - although they often charge even more for 'extended support' of versions that have gone out of 'mainstream support'.

So my guess is that the company was paying about ten dollars a seat for each Office license. I don't know that for certain, but with thousands of employees, each with a licensed copy, it would certainly add up. I suppose renewal was yearly, or otherwise on-going.

Many Enterprises would be paying for an M365 subscription which covers quite a bit more than just the office applications themselves (Exchange on-line, MS Teams, etc.)...

(you can take the pricing with a pinch of salt)

The pay as you go 'software as a service' model has rendered the buy it one time 'boxed' copy obsolete, I guess.

Strictly speaking, Software as a Service (SaaS) is a (cloud) hosted model. So the software runs on someone else's computer, not your own. Typical example of SaaS would be ServiceNow or Salesforce or Office.com for that matter.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My enterprise just transitioned from Win 7 to Win 10 in 2022. I admire them for it.

It is not easy. I was one of the technical leads for a migration of around 55,000 Windows 7 desktops (from two legacy organisations, so different apps, identities, etc.) to a single global desktop based on Windows 10. We started planning in 2016 and finished in 2019. We are about to embark on Windows 11 desktop planning and testing, it won't be such a big jump this time and won't take as long, but the deployment will still be a massive task.

Top Bottom