• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was listening at about 2,5 meters.
It was in a room of about 5 meters wide and about 8 deep.
I was listening at about 1/3 volume to half volume at maximum. There was a dac/pre in between when listening at that volume. When connected digitally I had it at about 25% volume. 40 to 50 would be movie type loud, seriously loud. I haven't heard the 8361 but when listening I was wondering why anyone would need a a bigger loudspeaker or even a sub. (You could probably use a sub if you wanted the utmost and use it for movie watching. All imo of course, with the caveat that I haven't heard it with a sub or the 8361).
Summarising: I think it's plenty loud, but to make sure you could take a look at what Genelec advises for your room size and desired spl.

Another thing that I would personally consider is the size of the monitor, where imo the 8351 is a nice volume, not too big. For myself I would buy the 8351... and a sub if I ever felt the need or flush with money to spend.

Edit: reading Amir's review and measurements of the 8351 and 8361, I probably listen at a lower volume than 85db when listening to music. He either has a really big listening space, or tries to test the monitor to the max, which translates to me as:
-are you searching for the best sound money can buy? Buy the 8361. Spending more would be silly.

Are you like me and listening to music lower than 85db? Then probably the 8351 would be just as good. Only when using in a big space and or with lots of high volume bass heavy music or playing movies, then imo the 8361 or a sub would be necessary. It could also be that I missed the overdriving of the bass units, but if that was the case, then imo you really need trained ears to hear it at the volume I played.

Thanks very much - this is really helpful! My room is about 5M wide as well, but about 6.5M deep. Like you, I don't listen super-loud, and I also do not feel the need for a sub to the degree that many others do (or I guess that I should? :) ). I love solid, tight, low-distortion bass, but a speaker's frequency extension below about 35Hz has never been a make-or-break for me.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I would go for the 8361
Price gap is not too big
And Genelec themselves say it's their flagship so should be better than 8351 in any case

Reactions: CMB

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
….I don't see how a coaxial speaker would bring any benefits at 3m / 10 feet or so. In my opinion nearfield is the way to go if you want ultimate detail and imaging.

I don’t know if it’s strictly because they’re coaxial or because of all the effort Genelec did suppressing resonances and diffraction, or both, but my 61’s cast a stable and solid center image like no other speaker I’ve owned.

RobL

Forum Donor
I don’t know if it’s strictly because they’re coaxial or because of all the effort Genelec did suppressing resonances and diffraction, or both, but my 61’s cast a stable and solid center image like no other speaker I’ve owned.
Speaking of which, I’ve seen the Ones series speakers described as “pseudo triaxial” speakers. I guess because of the symmetrical woofer arrangement and full-baffle waveguide. Accurate description?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Speaking of which, I’ve seen the Ones series speakers described as “pseudo triaxial” speakers. I guess because of the symmetrical woofer arrangement and full-baffle waveguide. Accurate description?
So Geithains are a more "real" coaxial than Genelecs?
Screenshot_20221202_002647_Chrome.jpg

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I would go for the 8361
Price gap is not too big
And Genelec themselves say it's their flagship so should be better than 8351 in any case
You could do that.

Me? I've seen and heard absolute perfection. The only things I was wondering about after listening to them were: what colour do I like best? Black. Why is the green light not in dead center? Dunno, it can be turned off. What do I control volume with? A dac/pre like the rme adi, benchmark or just a streamer?

Imo you would not doubt if you heard them. It's like driving a ferrari and saying it doesn't have enough horsepower. Only Tiff Needel could say that. It's stunning. There's no reason to be worried about missing out.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
You could do that.

Me? I've seen and heard absolute perfection. The only things I was wondering about after listening to them were: what colour do I like best? Black. Why is the green light not in dead center? Dunno, it can be turned off. What do I control volume with? A dac/pre like the rme adi, benchmark or just a streamer?

Imo you would not doubt if you heard them. It's like driving a ferrari and saying it doesn't have enough horsepower. Only Tiff Needel could say that. It's stunning. There's no reason to be worried about missing out.
Yeah but there's still a chance that if you will hear the 8361 you would think they're better than the 8351 :)
Also it's funny that you mentioned the green light... Becaue on the 8361 it's in dead center to differentiate it from 8351
8351AWM01.jpg
8361AW-k01.jpg

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I should mention that Helios audio in Haarlem, The Netherlands, were very kind and seem very knowledgable. They do studio installs, acoustics and have a demo room featuring both pro brands and some hifi. I spotted benckmark dac, headphone/pre and 2 AHB2's, Trinnov; atc towers, Focal, Grimm audio (& Genelec of course). If you're in the market for new speakers or benchmark gear, I would highly recommend them.

I learned upon arriving that usually they demo by appointment only. They were kind enough to let me demo (without appointment) for over 2 hours though, so I thought that kind of dedication and kindness shouldn't pass without mentioning it here.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Anyone got the GLM kit for free when buying a pair of 8361 or do you buy it separately?

Newman

Major Contributor
Hope he has found the Genelec site page that explains he doesn't need to treat the rear wall reflection...since his speakers are within a foot of it…

* when I say ‘rear wall’ I mean the same as the reddit quote says ‘to the rear’…obviously.

Last edited:

Eetu

Forum Donor
Hope he has found the Genelec site page that explains he doesn't need to treat the rear wall reflection...
Which article was that, happen to have a link? Also, the Reddit quote meant front wall.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom