• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Doodski, I honestly don't know. They were demo boxes and I listened to them a year or more ago.

I would think they perform as new but there were some small scuff marks on them. If I had my heart set on Salon 2, I would probably ask for more discount.
My guess is you can get a pretty good deal on a new pair if you find the right dealer!

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
@MKR

If you make it to the east coast, I'm less than an hour from the Philadelphia Airport, and 20 minutes from Amtrak.

I would be open to letting you spend quality time in my professionally designed/fully treated room with JBL M2s, Trinnov, quad subs (plus a quad 24" driver infrasonic sub) if that would be of interest to you.

It's my chosen version of "end game" .
@Bugal1998 Very gracious of you sir, thank you! Will certainly keep that in mind. I am certain that system must offer stunning performance. Do you use it for 2ch only, or also HT? And what subs are you using?

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Yeah, I read all your posts, not sure why I typed that insinuating that it may be the end. This particular store is trying to get rid of its Salon 2 inventory.
@bo_knows Got it. I will say the writing is on the wall for the Salon 2, no doubt, but “I’m not dead yet …” (for you Monty Python fans :cool:)

So did you even get to listen to them?

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Note I also asked about service/warranty support in the future (after it has been discontinued) and the response was that "drivers/parts will be available for at least 5 years. Maybe longer for the Salon2. We still have drivers for the Salon 1"
I am not accusing anyone of being disingenuous, but from past experience, I believe that is more aspirational than it is factual.

Last edited:
Reactions: MKR
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I am not accusing anyone of being disingenuous, but from past experience, I believe that is more aspirational than it it is factual.
@Mr. Widget Yeah, maybe. But if they still have drivers for the Salon1, that gives the statement a bit more credence. But for sure this definitely is a risk that needs to be taken into account when purchasing any speaker that is clearly approaching EOL. Last thing I want is a ~$22k paper weight! (although Salon2 would be a very capable paper weight :rolleyes:)

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
@Bugal1998 Very gracious of you sir, thank you! Will certainly keep that in mind. I am certain that system must offer stunning performance. Do you use it for 2ch only, or also HT? And what subs are you using?
Currently 2-channel only. 2-channel performance was the top design priority and 2-channel performance was not to be sacrificed for other uses, but it will eventually serve as a home theater as well (9.5.6 atmos configuration with drop down projection screen). The L/R speakers will be on rails to move easily and precisely between the optimal stereo and theater positions.

Subs are quad JBL 5628s powered by a Crown 4x3500hd for the audible bass frequencies, and four stereo integrity IB-24s in a 400+ (can't recall exact size off the top of my head) cu. ft. enclosure powered by a Crown I-tech 5000hd for the infra-sonics. I've heard "thick" subs, I've heard subs that add a "pipe organ" resonance to every note, etc., etc... The 5628s have none of those traits and sound as transparent as the M2s to my ears.

Finished inside dimensions of the room are 19'2" wide x ~29' long x 8'7" high.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Mr. Widget Yeah, maybe. But if they still have drivers for the Salon1, that gives the statement a bit more credence. But for sure this definitely is a risk that needs to be taken into account when purchasing any speaker that is clearly approaching EOL. Last thing I want is a ~$22k paper weight! (although Salon2 would be a very capable paper weight :rolleyes:)
Perhaps they have some remaining drivers, but I'm reasonably certain they don't have the full driver compliment and haven't had them for well over a decade.

Even getting replacement tweeters for a client's Revel speakers that were still under warranty when the products were still in production took almost a year for the "next run" of drivers to be produced. The bean counters at Harman appear to hate inventory.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@bo_knows Got it. I will say the writing is on the wall for the Salon 2, no doubt, but “I’m not dead yet …” (for you Monty Python fans :cool:)

So did you even get to listen to them?
I did, a year or so ago. They shared the room with the Paradigm Persona speakers. Wrote my impressions inside one thread here on the forum (no idea how to find it quickly to share the link). I liked the speakers but ultimately chose KEF due to my room size and the amount of $$$ allocated for the HT budged.

symphara

@symphara Glad to hear my insanity is inspiring others :p

I have researched the Amphion Krypton extensively and while I am sure it is a decent speaker, compared to others on my list, not end game for ME. But it could be for you! Hope you are able to find them to audition! Please keep us posted on your adventures ;)
Interesting, can I ask what research and why did you write them off? From what I heard, they're non-coloured, full range, low distortion speakers. I'd be interested in any shortcomings I don't know about.

Adi777

I would be open to letting you spend quality time in my professionally designed/fully treated room with JBL M2s, Trinnov, quad subs (plus a quad 24" driver infrasonic sub) if that would be of interest to you.

It's my chosen version of "end game" .
You promised to show off your system, forgot? ;)
PS Why not SBA/DBA subs system?

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
The price of $8k per speaker is nearly 30% off so get a peek ay the serial number just to make sure its a fairly current run, buy yourself a couple mc601 monoblocks and call it a day.

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
You promised to show off your system, forgot? ;)
PS Why not SBA/DBA subs system?
Haha, no, I didn't forget. I installed acoustic treatments and did a rough calibration the weekend before Thanksgiving, and family with a two year old and a three year old arrived the same day, and only just left mid-week this week. I'll put together an update in the next couple of weeks when I'm off work.

SBA/DBA seemed interesting, and the engineer shared examples, but it didn't seem like the best use of existing space and equipment... And the benefits over four subs and multi-sub optimization didn't seem compelling compared to the other trade-offs in my scenario, particularly for a single listening position with 2-channel music, which was the priority.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Perhaps they have some remaining drivers, but I'm reasonably certain they don't have the full driver compliment and haven't had them for well over a decade.

Even getting replacement tweeters for a client's Revel speakers that were still under warranty when the products were still in production took almost a year for the "next run" of drivers to be produced. The bean counters at Harman appear to hate inventory.
How is Rebel able to manufacture at least 14 additional Salon 2 units recently (with more coming later December) if they don’t have the full driver compliment?

As to your comment on the year wait for replacement tweeters, that is certainly troublesome. But if that occurred past couple years, likely can chalk that up to the insane supply chain issues we have all been experiencing and hope that improves. To say, hoping this is not a new normal for Hartman/Revel! If yes, then I question buying anything at all from the Harman group, even current models … I have often wondered if the Samsung acquisition would be the beginning of the end for Harman as we know them today :(

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I did, a year or so ago. They shared the room with the Paradigm Persona speakers. Wrote my impressions inside one thread here on the forum (no idea how to find it quickly to share the link). I liked the speakers but ultimately chose KEF due to my room size and the amount of $$$ allocated for the HT budged.
Got it, thanks. I hear very mixed reviews on those Personas, hence reason not on my short list. And if you weren’t powering those Salon 2s with a “nuclear flux capacitor” (being silly, aka monster amp), I am sure you weren’t hearing them to their full potential

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Currently 2-channel only. 2-channel performance was the top design priority and 2-channel performance was not to be sacrificed for other uses, but it will eventually serve as a home theater as well (9.5.6 atmos configuration with drop down projection screen). The L/R speakers will be on rails to move easily and precisely between the optimal stereo and theater positions.

Subs are quad JBL 5628s powered by a Crown 4x3500hd for the audible bass frequencies, and four stereo integrity IB-24s in a 400+ (can't recall exact size off the top of my head) cu. ft. enclosure powered by a Crown I-tech 5000hd for the infra-sonics. I've heard "thick" subs, I've heard subs that add a "pipe organ" resonance to every note, etc., etc... The 5628s have none of those traits and sound as transparent as the M2s to my ears.

Finished inside dimensions of the room are 19'2" wide x ~29' long x 8'7" high.
Wow! :oops: Now that is an end game system, well done sir, I am drooling

steve59

Major Contributor
That was the salon 1 tweeter that was no longer in production and I think since then the 4" midrange for the salon 1 has been out of stock . I received an email from Revel support 3-4 years ago maybe 5 telling me they had everything in stock except the rear tweeter, but recently read a thread on another site that was claiming the mid was no longer available. The salon 1 and salon 2 afaik share no drivers and the salon 2 still has the full compliment to support any warranty claims. When in doubt ask them, Revel has the best customer support I've ever dealt with.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Interesting, can I ask what research and why did you write them off? From what I heard, they're non-coloured, full range, low distortion speakers. I'd be interested in any shortcomings I don't know about.
First, the reviews are minimal, and those reviews I have found “verse poetic” if you know what I mean. Then zero measurements (this is a BIG one for me as I consider the objective first, subjective second … though many others do the opposite and that is OK). Lastly, in many of the comments I have read on these speakers, the word “forgiving“ comes up. This tells me these speakers are not neutral/transparent and that they color the sound. I also have some concern with their ultimate output capability which in my large listening space could be an issue. But again they could very well be your cup of tea. Of course definitely audition before you plunk down that kind of cash.

With above said, they do have cardioid dispersion and an attempt at a waveguide best I can tell, both good things, so I expect they are well engineered in general. But again, not quite what I am looking for.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
That was the salon 1 tweeter that was no longer in production and I think since then the 4" midrange for the salon 1 has been out of stock . I received an email from Revel support 3-4 years ago maybe 5 telling me they had everything in stock except the rear tweeter, but recently read a thread on another site that was claiming the mid was no longer available. The salon 1 and salon 2 afaik share no drivers and the salon 2 still has the full compliment to support any warranty claims. When in doubt ask them, Revel has the best customer support I've ever dealt with.
Thanks, this is helpful and matches my conversations both with Harman customer service and the rep I had mentioned previously.

symphara

First, the reviews are minimal, and those reviews I have found “verse poetic” if you know what I mean. Then zero measurements (this is a BIG one for me as I consider the objective first, subjective second … though many others do the opposite and that is OK). Lastly, in many of the comments I have read on these speakers, the word “forgiving“ comes up. This tells me these speakers are not neutral/transparent and that they color the sound. I also have some concern with their ultimate output capability which in my large listening space could be an issue. But again they could very well be your cup of tea. Of course definitely audition before you plunk down that kind of cash.

With above said, they do have cardioid dispersion and an attempt at a waveguide best I can tell, both good things, so I expect they are well engineered in general. But again, not quite what I am looking for.
I only found one review, on 6moons, translated from Polish. It's very positive but without measurements doesn't mean much.

I asked a dealer friend who sold them in the past, and he said they can play loudly (large speakers with large 8" drivers, plus 10" bass) and they are not fussy with the room. He also said they were the most impressive speakers he ever sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom