• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Two questions:
1) When will it be live on Amazon? So far, still shows as "Currently Unavailable" and there is no option for preorder.
2) Is it safe to purchase the first model release? Or, better to wait a bit for potential future revision to fix issues (cf. Topping E30 saga)
Thé note already says it’ll be on sale hopefully late next week, and given it shares the same code base as the WiiM PRO it’ll support what the Mini does plus Chromecast (which I’ve been using on the test Pro I got). Also, WiiM are very reactive in fixing any bugs that are identified to them so I see no reason in delaying tbh.

Tangband

Major Contributor
How do you know that's it's the upsampling causing the problem and not the Yamaha doing a bad job of the upsampling? Still, it's useful information that it can go wrong! Surely it has to be better not to do anything to the original source if at all possible?

I have an old asus chromebox past it's sell by date, maybe I'll convert that to linux. Does that make sense? Is an eight year old chromebox going to give me adequate audio capability? Will it be as good as as a raspberry pi or WiiM? I think the answer might be yes as I'll just be using it to move bits into my Topping 10s DAC... without any up/down scaling or other processing going on inside the computer.

(I moved to chromebox to keep computer & audio as simple as possible.. hah!)
SRC can be transparent If dont right. I cant hear a difference with my Mac .
We are all dreaming of a streamer for 200 dollars that is as good as a 3000 dollar streamer or a good computer+DDC setup.
We want transparent SRC and digital volumeregulation that dont degrade the music signal at all. And all this wireless.
This hasnt happen yet below 500 bucks, and this is why this WiiM pro is very interesting for us with SAM monitors, I would say….

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Do you suspect Pro to behave differently than Mini in that matter?
I didnt know that WiiM mini had any volumeregulation at digital out ? Can you give me a link ?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I didnt know that WiiM mini had volumeregulation at digital out ? Can you give me a link ?
No link, but I can assure you that you can control digital volume over toslink output when fixed volume is not set in the app.

morillon

Major Contributor
with the mini..
we observed if high resolution of the stream in toslink-adjustable level is lowered to like 48k? or respect the originale resolution?
and in eq mode?

with pro ?

Merifon

with the mini..
we observed if high resolution of the stream in toslink-adjustable level is lowered to like 48k? or respect the originale resolution?
and in eq mode?

with pro ?
when i did tests with the famous 96KHz dual tone file, resolution reported by DAC was always 96KHz, regardless fixed or non fixed volume and EQ ON/OFF, in any combination of setting.

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
and some body for mesureaments192k white noise ?
;-)

Reactions: buz

morillon

Major Contributor
to be honest...
a little passage to the full band measurement will reassure me a little more
;-)
(and with eq on not flat with a little correction , see , by lowering the level enough to avoid the famous drc)

Last edited:

Merifon

a little passage to the full band measurement will reassure me a little more
Why a white noise 192KHz file and a rich 192KHz music file should differ from the sampling point of view?
Regarding EQ, since a modification in digital domain anyway happens, it make sense use it with adjustable volume ON and set some ticks down, to avoid clip for frequencies eventually rised up

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Hi, PRO is available for pre-order in EU, 179 EUR
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/stre...tiroom-bluetooth-51-24bit-192khz-p-17048.html

I also just bought the mini in black friday at the price of 85 EUR, I think I will stick with it (even if chromecast and ethernet would have been nice, it's double the price I paid.).

Haven't opened the mini yet, seems like an insane value product!

Regards,
Renzo
Hmm…. Just a thought… The competition in form of Nuprime omnia stream mini is real. Nuprime sells in stores everywhere for slightly more money and they are probably better on guaranties . The WiiM pro must be better on all acounts to really compete.
4FBF385C-DA9B-44AE-B3C3-E603D6758F4B.jpeg

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Hmm…. Just a thought… The competition in form of Nuprime omnia mini is real. Nuprime sells in stores everywhere for slightly more money and they are probably better on guaranties . The WiiM pro must be better on all acounts to really compete.
View attachment 247515
Uses guts, firmware and app from Linkplay, WiiM parent company.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Last edited:

wacomme

I have the Mini. What would I gain with the Pro and Chromecast? Essentially, what can Chromecast do that the Mini cannot do?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I have the Mini. What would I gain with the Pro and Chromecast? Essentially, what can Chromecast do that the Mini cannot do?
Chromecast support gives the ability to be chromecast casting target for every software which can cast over chromecast protocol. Plus Google Home integration.

buz

Forum Donor
Realistically, given all the otherwise supported services, mainly, youtube (music).

Top Bottom