• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 83 18.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 206 47.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 26.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 7.1%

• Total voters

tsammyc

If I am to understand Amir's methodology for receivers' SINAD, he adjusts the volume until he gets 2 volts on the RCA and in the case of his 3800 review, he set the volume at 82.5 in order to get 2V, where he measured 87 SINAD

Later he has a chart that shows for optimal output, he gets 95 SINAD when the voltage corresponds to 0.6-0.8 volt output. Is there any way to determine what range of volume this optimal output corresponds to?

DrDal701

Denons official website. Not sure if the orders will be cancelled as I think it may have been supposed to be a targeted email campaign. Just return your order when it comes in and order again using the code.
Just tried the DENONORD30 code (I'm in Canada). "An unrecognized coupon was presented".
Damn, too good to be true......a brand new 3800 would have been $1,575.00 Cdn $.

pbc

Just tried the DENONORD30 code (I'm in Canada). "An unrecognized coupon was presented".
Damn, too good to be true......a brand new 3800 would have been $1,575.00 Cdn $.

Believe it was for CyberMonday only. They had a DENONORD25 for Black Friday.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
Believe it was for CyberMonday only. They had a DENONORD25 for Black Friday.
No, the coupon was dead long before Cyber Monday was over. I had it sitting in my cart to think about it, but by the time I finished up around the house and came back to it mid-evening, the code was no longer good.

pbc

No, the coupon was dead long before Cyber Monday was over. I had it sitting in my cart to think about it, but by the time I finished up around the house and came back to it mid-evening, the code was no longer good.
Got my 3800 around 230pm Monday, maybe they killed the code shortly thereafter as they had just killed the 25% code.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
Got my 3800 around 230pm Monday, maybe they killed the code shortly thereafter as they had just killed the 25% code.
Yeah, I was still toying with it in my cart around 5PM PST, but by 8PM or so, it was gone.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone in Utah south of Salt Lake interested in a Denon X3800H?

PM me. Depending on what customer service says and if the order ships (the warehouse is apparently packing it now) I'm going to return one as I asked one company to price match and they did but it took so long that I ordered one from Denon too.

Happy to part with the other if I end up with 2.

tsammyc

https://h-m-entertainment.com/denon-avr-x3800h-review

A new review of the 3800 above. The main thing I did not know is support this year for Sony's 360 Reality Audio, which is now available on Tidal. Not quite sure how it will work. Perhaps the Tidal app with Denon over Airplay2? or using HEOS? Was trying to avoid HEOS because of criticism of it's interface, but I realize that I may have to use it anyway to hear my DSD files since Denons' are incompatible with Audirvana's DSD output over uPnP. Will be interesting to see how my DSD multichannel files (eg. Jazz at the Pawnshop) sound in HEOS. One omission for me in the 3800 is multichannel analog input because my Panasonic UHD player with AKM DACs sounds great with DSD multichannel. I wonder if since the 3800's audio in is assignable that I can hook up the Panny's 5.1 analog output to spare analog inputs? Probably not. Fore stereo, currently quite happy with a WIIM Mini and Topping DAC to 3800's analog in pure direct so not really keen to explore HEOS.

da Choge

Forum Donor
I wonder if since the 3800's audio in is assignable that I can hook up the Panny's 5.1 analog output to spare analog inputs? Probably not.
I would think your assessment is correct. The 7.1 multichannel input feature was why it was important to me to acquire a Denon AVR-A110 and a Marantz SR8015 just recently before they become unavailable. I have a decent ripped multichannel music collection and a couple of multichannel DACs for which I want to use to stream music. I will probably use only the surround/subwoofer multichannel inputs of the AVRs and a separate stereo amp for the fronts, but I think it is unfortunate that just about ALL manufacturers have discontinued the multichannel input feature. I understand it because so few people will use them going forward, but I really wanted and needed that feature in my AVRs.

Last edited:

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
https://h-m-entertainment.com/denon-avr-x3800h-review

A new review of the 3800 above. The main thing I did not know is support this year for Sony's 360 Reality Audio, which is now available on Tidal. Not quite sure how it will work. Perhaps the Tidal app with Denon over Airplay2? or using HEOS? Was trying to avoid HEOS because of criticism of it's interface, but I realize that I may have to use it anyway to hear my DSD files since Denons' are incompatible with Audirvana's DSD output over uPnP. Will be interesting to see how my DSD multichannel files (eg. Jazz at the Pawnshop) sound in HEOS. One omission for me in the 3800 is multichannel analog input because my Panasonic UHD player with AKM DACs sounds great with DSD multichannel. I wonder if since the 3800's audio in is assignable that I can hook up the Panny's 5.1 analog output to spare analog inputs? Probably not. Fore stereo, currently quite happy with a WIIM Mini and Topping DAC to 3800's analog in pure direct so not really keen to explore HEOS.
Likely will require HEOS. AirPlay is limited to Stereo 16/48.

tsammyc

I would think your assessment is correct. The 7.1 mulitchannel input feature was why it was important to me to acquire a Denon AVR-A110 and a Marantz SR8015 just recently before they become unavailable. I have a decent ripped multichannel music collection and a couple of multichannel DACs for which I want to use to stream music. I will probably use only the surround/subwoofer multichannel inputs of the AVRs and a separate stereo amp for the fronts, but I think it is unfortunate that just about ALL manufacturers have discontinued the multichannel input feature. I understand it because so few people will use them going forward, but I really wanted and needed that feature in my AVRs.
Wonder if there is a multichannel amp with two sets of inputs, one for the Denon pre-amp out and the other for my Panasonic UHD player (and your multichannel DAC)

da Choge

Forum Donor
Wonder if there is a multichannel amp with two sets of inputs, one for the Denon pre-amp out and the other for my Panasonic UHD player (and your multichannel DAC)
I think the Parasound P7 was the closest component to something like that. It is no longer being made, but previously-owned units, or new old stock, can be found on eBay or an online vendor like Safe & Sound. It has two sets of 7.1 multichannel unbalanced inputs. However, it is a preamp and you'd have to combine it with a multichannel amp, of which there are many. My main problem with the P7 is that I'm not sure if it will convert the unbalanced inputs to balanced, even though it has both kinds of outputs.

Last edited:

Frontino

If I am to understand Amir's methodology for receivers' SINAD, he adjusts the volume until he gets 2 volts on the RCA and in the case of his 3800 review, he set the volume at 82.5 in order to get 2V, where he measured 87 SINAD

Later he has a chart that shows for optimal output, he gets 95 SINAD when the voltage corresponds to 0.6-0.8 volt output. Is there any way to determine what range of volume this optimal output corresponds to?
Denon's max volume is 97 or +18 dB.

82.5 corresponds to +3.5 dB.

To go from 2 V down to 0.707 V you must drop the volume by -9 dB, thus -5.5 dB or 73.5.

Narnian

Finally reran Audyssey on the X3800H with the MultiEQ iPhone app and got this result. All of my speakers on the AVR side are Revel M8 and got the same result as this. The dip is right at the crossover. Surprised it did not fix it.

0435E148-E324-42F8-AFF9-F0725C77F113.jpeg

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally reran Audyssey on the X3800H with the MultiEQ iPhone app and got this result. All of my speakers on the AVR side are Revel M8 and got the same result as this. The dip is right at the crossover. Surprised it did not fix it.
that dip is the mid range compensation that Audyssey adds. You can turn it off in the settings menu.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you. Out of curiosity what is the purpose of such a compensation?
It's a mistaken correction on the part of Audyssey where they assume and try to correct for a boost at the crossover point between woofer and tweeter. The problem is no decent speakers have this problem. So you have to remove it with the mobile app or delete the MRC filter directly in MultiEQ-X on PC. It's my theory that most people prefer the sound of Dirac Live over Audyssey because of this foolish mid range correction as well as a reduction in bass. I delete the MRC in MultiEQ-X and add a +6db boost in bass with a shelf filter. I'm very happy with the results after these fixes.

Trell

Major Contributor
It's a mistaken correction on the part of Audyssey where they assume and try to correct for a boost at the crossover point between woofer and tweeter. The problem is no decent speakers have this problem. So you have to remove it with the mobile app or delete the MRC filter directly in MultiEQ-X on PC. It's my theory that most people prefer the sound of Dirac Live over Audyssey because of this foolish mid range correction as well as a reduction in bass. I delete the MRC in MultiEQ-X and add a +6db boost in bass with a shelf filter. I'm very happy with the results after these fixes.

Do you use DynEQ after the bass boost?

amper42

Major Contributor
With DEQ enabled I don't alter automatic Audyssey EQ for bass. I may try adding 2 db to subs for fun. On the other hand, I find adding 2 dB to center for the talk track in movies is helpful. AND I always turn off MRC in the iPad app and transfer the new settings back to the Denon 4700.

Trell

Major Contributor
With DEQ enabled I don't alter automatic Audyssey EQ for bass. I may try adding 2 db to subs for fun. On the other hand, I find adding 2 dB to center for the talk track in movies is helpful. AND I always turn off MRC in the iPad app and transfer the new settings back to the Denon 4700.
My 2015 model AVR-X4200W did not get that app update, sadly, and buying a new receiver for testing the new app I found too expensive with uncertain benefits.

My receiver is seven years old, working fine, but could crap out due to age. I do have for many years had fans on top of it to reduce heat and hopefully increase lifetime.

Top Bottom