• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Mojo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Els

Sorry folks, I read all the numbers and reviews, but I replaced my RME Dac in my main system with the cheapest 7 year old Chord Mojo, line out, I don't use headphones, portable or otherwise. Results: Significant sound improvement.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Blacker blacks?

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry folks, I read all the numbers and reviews, but I replaced my RME Dac in my main system with the cheapest 7 year old Chord Mojo, line out, I don't use headphones, portable or otherwise. Results: Significant sound improvement.

Welcome to ASR. You've made an unsupported assertion or a scientifically implausible claim that will cause most people in this science-oriented forum to react with skepticism (or scepticism if they are in the U.K.). Please don't take the reactions as overtly hostile - most of us are just frustrated with others who have clearly done this for "trolling" reasons. Please do engage with the membership to find an objective, controlled method to support or discard your hypothesis. We'd love to have you, but if all you want is a) to fight or b) to have others cheerlead for your subjective views, I'd suggest you get out now.

[edited. I'm making this into a ready copy-paste as I go along here]

Last edited:
OP
E

Els

Welcome to ASR. You've made an unsupported assertion that most people in this science-oriented forum would disagree with. Please don't take the reactions as overtly hostile. Please do engage with the membership to find an objective, controlled method to support or discard your hypothesis. We'd love to have you, but if all you want is a) to fight or b) to have others cheerlead for your subjective views, I'd suggest you get out now.
None of the above, just sharing my impressions, sorry I may be a Chordhead now, but I have great respect for Amir's evaluations, so if you don't mind I'll stick around.

D

Deleted member 21114

Here at ASR we demand scientific proof of such claims.
Can you please get your significant other to enter the kitchen and report whether the difference is audible.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Chord’s marketing is first class whereas Matthias boringly just states actual facts.
Keith

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cleaner underwear?

DonR

Major Contributor
The food tastes better when it is served on fine china.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Sorry folks,

No need to apologise.

Results: Significant sound improvement.

I don't doubt you heard an improvement. However, I guess you are aware of the problem of sighted listening being influenced by cognitive biases.

What checks have you done to convince yourself that the improvement you hear comes from differences in the output of the Chord DAC compared with the RME rather than these cognitive biases changing your perception of two identically performing DACs?

I'm happy if you simply say nothing/you don't care. That is fine, and up to you. But in that case of course you won't be convincing anyone that the Chord performs any better than the RME.

AaronJ

The food tastes better when it is served on fine china.
thats-true-kramer.gif

OP
E

Els

No need to apologise.

I don't doubt you heard an improvement. However, I guess you are aware of the problem of sighted listening being influenced by cognitive biases.

What checks have you done to convince yourself that the improvement you hear comes from differences in the output of the Chord DAC compared with the RME rather than these cognitive biases changing your perception of two identically performing DACs?

I'm happy if you simply say nothing/you don't care. That is fine, and up to you. But in that case of course you won't be convincing anyone that the Chord performs any better than the RME.
After working several years in a high end store, if you will allow the term, we knew how to match equipment and were well aware of witch sounded best, all this without the benefits of test equipment, we knew when we made a bad demo and we knew when everything jelled and sounded exceptionally good. Reviewing a piece of borrowed equipment and then going on to the next relying on numbers and graphs, is credible and very helpful. Long term ownership and listening can also lead to credible and useful information. Marketing is altogether different, I use ATC monitors and Yamaha NS 1000 neither are marketing champions or guru influencers. The term Science seems to be a bit over used when referring to Audio: there has been very little improvement in analogue sound reproduction in the last 60 years. Digital audio is an after thought, not a quality pursuit, and the onset goal was convenience.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having worked in high end audio stores for over 10 years, most of what you said is simply not true. I quit because of the bs. You don’t seem to have got past it. I’m not trying to insult or shame but time will change your thoughts.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
there has been very little improvement in analogue sound reproduction in the last 60 years.

Really? Wow. :eek:. State of the art amplifiers built today are no better than those built in the 1960s? There has been no development in electronic components in all that time? That is quite a statement. Digital audio an afterthought and not in any way improved from vinyl and tape processes used back then? Our ability to measure and analyse analogue signals is not improved in the last 60 years allowing us to understand and develop better electronics?

I really have to question why you are here.

Do you also reject all the science involved in psychoacoustics, and the learnings regarding the problems with sighted listening? Do you reject the need for controlled, blinded listening tests if you want to determine real audible differences between components?

oleg87

After working several years in a high end store, if you will allow the term, we knew how to match equipment and were well aware of witch sounded best, all this without the benefits of test equipment, we knew when we made a bad demo and we knew when everything jelled and sounded exceptionally good. Reviewing a piece of borrowed equipment and then going on to the next relying on numbers and graphs, is credible and very helpful. Long term ownership and listening can also lead to credible and useful information. Marketing is altogether different, I use ATC monitors and Yamaha NS 1000 neither are marketing champions or guru influencers. The term Science seems to be a bit over used when referring to Audio: there has been very little improvement in analogue sound reproduction in the last 60 years. Digital audio is an after thought, not a quality pursuit, and the onset goal was convenience.
I'm well aware what sounds best too, I know my 24bit/96khz lossless files sound noticeably cleaner, crisper, more detailed and spacious than their high-bitrate lossy AAC compressed counterparts.

That is, until I try to distinguish them in a blind level-matched test and get it wrong half the time (though if I was younger and had better high-frequency hearing, I may very well hear this difference since AAC adds a readily measurable low-pass filter at the upper end of the audible range)

Such is the predicament of the human brain.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

The mechanic at my glider club introduced me to this after some excruciating little job was finished on the Cessna...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom