• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

JP

Major Contributor
...but the best turntables will be defeated by the wow and flutter of record pressings.

... almost. There are two that wouldn't be.

Reactions: MAB

Robin L

Master Contributor
... almost. There are two that wouldn't be.
You're speaking about the Nakamichi decks, I suppose. I suspect that there will be some residual artifacts. It's the media that's the downfall of the LP reproduction system. Those seeking the best results should go for digital replay.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're speaking about the Nakamichi decks, I suppose. I suspect that there will be some residual artifacts. It's the media that's the downfall of the LP reproduction system. Those seeking the best results should go for digital replay.
The Nakamichi deck could remove the effect of an off-centre record, but not the wow and flutter inherent in the cut from the cutting lathe or indeed that on the tape the disk was cut from. Bearing in mind that any mainstream recording would have been through several generations of tapes, on different tape machines, so the wow and flutter in the final cut would be the vector sum of all these generations, so potentially much higher than any one device.

Before digital recording and replay, the final sound obtained at home would be a long way from what came off the microphones in the studio, even without the deliberate manipulations of EQ, compression and other effects. With digital, at least it's possible for the output at home to be a very accurate copy of what came off the studio microphones, although of course it very rarely is.

S.

JP

Major Contributor

Of course.

MAB

Major Contributor
Robin L said:

Of course.
Thanks for reminding me of these old Nak decks!
And, we need a pic!
nakamichitx1000gd43.jpg

For me the main attraction is the ability to mount two tonearms. And the massive cost. All to bring me that turntable sound minus the run-out effect.;) I absolutely love it.:)

JP

Major Contributor
:)

Mine's over there [looking to my left].

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends,

For your reference, I posted today on my project thread;
- Revival of analog LP player (MC cartridge) in my DSP multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier fully active stereo system for real time on-the-fly vinyl LP listening (and digital recording, if needed): #688

DENON DP-57L + DENON DL-301II (MC);
WS00005133.JPG

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends,

For your reference, I posted today on my project thread;
- Revival of analog LP player (MC cartridge) in my DSP multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier fully active stereo system for real time on-the-fly vinyl LP listening (and digital recording, if needed): #688

DENON DP-57L + DENON DL-301II (MC);
View attachment 249682
The Denon turntable is a true classic and a beauty.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought an item for my turntable which I think looks quite nice in the rack, so I'm attaching some photos.

As mentioned earlier I have a Transrotor Fat Bob S turntable, which I've owned for 6 years. I was having some trouble with the original supplied power supply/speed controller (a bit glitchy). I happened upon an extremely rare listing for a brand new top of the line Transrotor Konstant FMD Power supply, at a price I could easily handle so I grabbed it.

Bit of info here:

So I received it and put it in the system yesterday.

Boy this thing is a beast! Huge, heavy, but immaculately built with a fabulous finish and a really nice feel for the knob. Smooth operation with a confidence-inspiring mild "klunk" for each step.

Photos:

TRANSROTOR CONTROLLER IN BOX.jpg

TRANSROTOR CONTROLLER IN HAND copy.jpg

CLOSE UP IN RACK, beside my Benchmark LA4 preamp:

TRANSROTOR CONTROLLER IN RACK.jpg

Newman

Major Contributor
Sweet.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thorens TD 166 rebuild for 78 rpm.

This is my rebuild for 78 rpm. I just added a bigger wheel to the motor shaft.
Then a phono amplifier with adjustable old 78 rpm correction and ordinary RIAA.

View attachment 247018

View attachment 247021

View attachment 247022

View attachment 247024

Bo Thunér, Linköping, Sweden.
Cool! Good work.:)

Edit:

I like your post #25 in this thread, where you show really old stuff you have: :)
(I know you have modern good HiFi too, I should perhaps mention that)

a.jpg

Last edited:

Jimshoe

I'm amazed Bergmann has not appeared in this thread yet . . . less is more.
bergmann.jpg

And, am I the only person who finds the inherent geometry error from regular pivot arms grating. Linear tracking arms are just right somehow.

Mind you, I'm a die hard digiphile now, no going back.

Doug

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
True, make sure your amps go up to 11!
Heh heh, lol.:)

OT:
But less can be more, in and of itself. It depends on and it can depend on a lot. This stripped down, to the essential is my favorite blues record. Neither more nor less is needed for this blues perfection:

A song from that album:

Top Bottom